travel in November

Birch Bay

Mild (68F) to cold (30's) and rainy, possible snow in late November. Don't worry, it will work out, just bring some rain gear and umbrellas. This is a fantastic cruise and the weather will not matter at all. In fact, it will only make the photography opportunities more dramatic!

Welcome to Cruise Critic.

We usually get info from the cruise company with average temperatures for each port for the month we will be visiting. Doesn't Viking provide info like that? With no sea days, that should be about the best info you will be able to get this far in advance.

Welcome to Cruise Critic.

We usually get info from the cruise company with average temperatures for each port for the month we will be visiting. Doesn't Viking provide info like that? With no sea days, that should be about the best info you will be able to get this far in advance.

The problem is that average temperature is meaningless number without more data. A high of 90 and a low of 30 has an average temperature of 60. A high of 65 and a low of 55 also has an average temperature of 60. In the first case, you will cold at night; in the second case you will not be cold at night.

At a bare minimum, you need to know the average maximum and average minimum temperature and also the record highs and record lows. This data is easy to find on the internet.

You should also find out the average relative humidity. A temperature of 100 degrees and humid feels worse than a temperature of 100 degrees and not humid. I should know as I live in Las Vegas and I feel more comfortable with our dry weather at 105 degrees than the conditions in Florida where it may be only 90 degrees but humid.

There are also sites that will tell you how many days it is likely to rain as cold and rainy feels really lousy.

My point is that just knowing the average temperature tells you nothing.

DON

Edited by donaldsc

Ok, you could be lucky but I would never deliberately pick November to holiday in any part of Europe. Even the Med is really unpredictable by this time. The problem with mainland Europe at this time of year is that you will get a significant amount of drizzly, cloudy days. Many of the pleasures of European river cruises, such as drinking a coffee in the towns and cities you pass through, will not be as pleasant as earlier in the year. On the positive side, most tourist areas will be quieter as you are well past high season.