Airport transfers

Ken1359

A friend who is about to embark on the Equinox trans-Atlantic on Oct 25 just told me about his difficulty in trying to book a transfer trom the airport to the ship. He is arriving late the day before the cruise and staying overnight at an airport hotel. He is meeting up with another passenger arriving the morning of the cruise who already purchased a transfer.

He was told by Celebrity that it was impossible for him to purchase a transfer because only passengers listed on an airline manifest the morning of the cruise could be accommodated. I wouldnt think the logistics of finding a luggage area to meet a Celebrity agent to take over would be possible. But my friend is an intrepid traveler and seems to be able to do just about anything travel wise.

I was curious if anyone else had encountered this problem?

Hi,

Not very helpful of Celebrity. We were able to book transfer from ship to airport at the end of our recent cruise. Would have that that they could accommodate you as they must have several flights arriving that morning.

I presume you are embarking the ship in Barcelona. You can easily get a taxi from the hotel to port - transfer will take around 20 to 30 minutes depending on traffic and time of day.

Jim

Can't comment on why X won't sell your friend a transfer as I've met many fellow cruisers who have indicated they have done the same thing. That said, I fully agree with another poster. I've sailed from Barcelona a number of times and have always taken a cab. It's inexpensive and much more convenient than the X transfers.

It might also be worth posting something on the roll call to see if others are staying at the same hotel and perhaps would share a cab.

Surely Celebrity must have some hotel-based transfer as well or at least one that meets in a central location. Having said that, arranging his own transportation is far preferable. I've not sailed from Barcelona but I have from a number of other European cities. It's always easier and cheaper to go on your own or with some other members of your roll call. Since earlier posters have commented that it's an inexpensive cab ride, that sound like the way to do it.

We have cruised from nearly every European Port used for embarkation (Barcelona, Civitavecchia, Istanbul, Nice, Monte Carlo, etc etc). And after dozens of cruises we have never used a cruise line transfer...and probably never will :). So what is the big deal. The OP does not say which port, but if its Barcelona you can simply take a taxi (faster and cheaper then transfers). Personally, we think most cruise line transfers suck (for lack of a better word). In many cases you find yourself just waiting around until they can fill their bus, van, etc. If using a taxi or some other form of transfer you just go!

Hank

Sorry, but I forgot to mention arrival airport which is Barcelona. I have no idea why the transfer seems to be so much more appealing to my friend than a taxi. Perhaps simply because some told him "no". Some of us are like that. I think it's called stubborn? Or it's more likely because he is meeting someone arriving the morning of the cruise who already has a transfer.

We have cruised from nearly every European Port used for embarkation (Barcelona, Civitavecchia, Istanbul, Nice, Monte Carlo, etc etc). And after dozens of cruises we have never used a cruise line transfer...and probably never will :). So what is the big deal. The OP does not say which port, but if its Barcelona you can simply take a taxi (faster and cheaper then transfers). Personally, we think most cruise line transfers suck (for lack of a better word). In many cases you find yourself just waiting around until they can fill their bus, van, etc. If using a taxi or some other form of transfer you just go!

Hank

With the exception that we've only cruised twice out of Europe, I will agree that transfers are on our personal "NO" list. We just grab a handy taxi and wait for no one or nothing - and go.

Lots of Barcelona info (transfers, hotels, tours, etc.) on the Spain ports board: http://boards.cruisecritic.com/forumdisplay.php?f=596

The thing about Barcelona is that it does not take a PhD to do your own transfer. Unless there is some kind of special issue you simply grab a taxi...from the airport...from any hotel.....etc. Couldn't be easier. Other ports like Civitavecchia do have their unique challenges so it pays to do some homework.

Hank