Fly/Cruise or from Southampton

Purples

Hi, we don't fly as a rule, but we did go to the Caribbean once and sailed back. As far as I recall it was very easy, we upgraded our seats on the flight and had no complaints. The only drag was the restricted luggage. We didn't get any time to explore the port we boarded at (Barbados) it was straight off the coach, on to the ship and await sail away.

Edited by Florry

Trying to decide whether to do fly/cruise or from Southampton. Are the flights and transfers easy? Any experiences may help us make a decision please.

We have done both, or rather three types.

We have sailed from Southampton very easy you can take as much as you can get in the car, coach or train but depending on the weather and the time of year it might take two days to get to warm temperatures.

We have done fly cruises where everything is arranged by the cruise line, flight and transfers to the ship very easy, in fact we are doing one in March flying to Barbados which is a charter flight and coming back to Southampton, we also upgraded to premium economy because of the extra luggage allowance. You don't even have to collect your checked in bags when you arrive in Barbados they are delivered from the plane to your cabin.

The other type is booking a cruise only and arranging your own flights, this you have to organise everything your self but if you want to extend the cruise at either end or go on somewhere else is very easy to do. The only problem with flying is weight limits on luggage, you start to think about the weight of clothes when you are buying new ones. It's actually a good thing because it stops you taking too much.

Sent from my SM-P900 using Tapatalk

Trying to decide whether to do fly/cruise or from Southampton. Are the flights and transfers easy? Any experiences may help us make a decision please.

If you cruise both ways you may loose a few days heading towards and back again from nice weather,all depends when and where you go. We cruised from Southampton then flew back from Barbados. The first few days cruising were cold but it was October.

The other option is to travel by rail rather than fly. For example you can leave London early afternoon and arrive in Venice at 0935 the next day by using the sleeper from Paris. You don't have to worry about luggage weight. If you don't fancy the sleeper there are various options of staying overnight en route.

Have a look at the Man in Seat61 website for all options on rail travel.

http://www.seat61.com

Brian

The other option is to travel by rail rather than fly. For example you can leave London early afternoon and arrive in Venice at 0935 the next day by using the sleeper from Paris. You don't have to worry about luggage weight. If you don't fancy the sleeper there are various options of staying overnight en route.

Brian

My favourite website the man in seat 61! I don't do flying......unless I really really HAVE to!

My favourite website the man in seat 61! I don't do flying......unless I really really HAVE to!

I don't mind flying, it's the airports that wind me up. If I'd really wanted to be herded I'd have been born as a sheep.

The most relaxing cruise is Southampton/Southampton though as stated the sail down to the Med (oh no not Lisbon again) can be a bit boring particularly in cool season.

David.

If you do your own flights always book the day before in case of flight delays. Cruise line won't wait if you are late. We always do this with a cheap pre cruise hotel. If you book through cruise line they will put you in higher grade hotels.

We have done both DIY and cruise package.

If you do your own flights always book the day before in case of flight delays. Cruise line won't wait if you are late. We always do this with a cheap pre cruise hotel. If you book through cruise line they will put you in higher grade hotels.

We have done both DIY and cruise package.

Or if the flights are part of the package you should eventually get to the ship ;)

Apart from the caribbean, world cruise segments and Oceana Venice/Genoa P&O don't offer fly cruises. However there are other cruiselines out there ;)

Southampton round trip gives you the ability to pack huge quantities of stuff and buy bulky or heavy items to bring home as there are no luggage restrictions when re-boarding. Downside is the first and last few days can be a bit cold and if you cross the Bay of Biscay it could be a bit rough.

Fly cruises: Caribbean, flights in and out are included in the cruise fare and you get straight to the sun and beach which is likely to be nice sunny weather daily with sometimes a bit of rain which doesn't last long. The rain is not dispiriting like in the UK on a holiday. Weight restrictions on luggage.

Fly cruises: Mediterranean, usually the flights included but you can think about arranging your own to incorporate a city stay before or after to extend the holiday. Weight restrictions on luggage.

Fly out - Sail Home. The Caribbean season ends early in the year and ships need to relocate Southampton. This is a cheap itinerary usually, but go on the Friday Cruise (one extra day in Caribbean). You can avoid the long flight home, which is always a downer by doing the Transatlantics. Fly out with weight restrictions and buy unlimited heavy goods to sail home with. This can also be achieved by booking the final leg of a world cruise. Often you start in a rare port and the sea days are a bit more prolific.

Do you have time between getting of the plain to getting to the ship in Barbados to pick up some supplies for the cruise?

Sent from my iPhone using Forums mobile app

Not really as the mini buses take you direct to check in. Then you board, but you can then immediately get off and go into town and buy stuff. A Friday start gives a better chance pre-cruise.

Regards John

Not really as the mini buses take you direct to check in. Then you board, but you can then immediately get off and go into town and buy stuff. A Friday start gives a better chance pre-cruise.

Regards John

Ah thats annoying. We are boarding the same day as sailing away. The price was the extra night was extortionate.

Southampton round trip gives you the ability to pack huge quantities of stuff and buy bulky or heavy items to bring home as there are no luggage restrictions when re-boarding. Downside is the first and last few days can be a bit cold and if you cross the Bay of Biscay it could be a bit rough.

Fly cruises: Caribbean, flights in and out are included in the cruise fare and you get straight to the sun and beach which is likely to be nice sunny weather daily with sometimes a bit of rain which doesn't last long. The rain is not dispiriting like in the UK on a holiday. Weight restrictions on luggage.

Fly cruises: Mediterranean, usually the flights included but you can think about arranging your own to incorporate a city stay before or after to extend the holiday. Weight restrictions on luggage.

Fly out - Sail Home. The Caribbean season ends early in the year and ships need to relocate Southampton. This is a cheap itinerary usually, but go on the Friday Cruise (one extra day in Caribbean). You can avoid the long flight home, which is always a downer by doing the Transatlantics. Fly out with weight restrictions and buy unlimited heavy goods to sail home with. This can also be achieved by booking the final leg of a world cruise. Often you start in a rare port and the sea days are a bit more prolific.

I agree that it is better to fly out the day before but P&O charge a lot of money for the privilege when I booked it was £150 each to go the day before.

Sent from my SM-P900 using Tapatalk

Brian

For anyone thinking of doing this, aim for the day before sailaway. We did this in 2011 and the sleeper did not arrive in Venice until 2.30pm! Fortunately we had a couple of days in Venice pre-cruise.

Overnighting in Milan works quite well too.

Hi tankmc, if your on an early flight around 9.00am from the UK then you should have time call into the Barbados terminal building where there are plenty of shops to buy bits and pieces, couple of duty free shops for booze and cigs if thats what you want.

But don't bank on it in case your flight is delayed.

They do sometimes sell booze and cigs on the plane and of cource at your departing airport.

Have a great cruise.

Rick.

Edited by rickpo

I really hate flying and airports so have always avoided going to the Caribbean. I've booked the repositioning cruise on Azura at the end of October with a friend and we're flying back to Manchester; my view is that at the end of the cruise we won't care as much whereas a poor experience at the start would ruin the first day or two.

If I don't like this experience but do like the Caribbean, then I guess the only option is one of those long cruises which sail out and back from Southampton. Rough weather doesn't bother me.