Just off the Gem if anyone has any questions

karen_cpa

Hi everyone!

My hubby and I were on the Gem August 8th - August 15th sailing. If anyone has any questions, let me know!

We didn't have our kids with us, so I can't comment on the Splash Academy.

We absolutely loved it and had no significant issues. The only thing I would mention is if you pre-book your dinners, definitely print out your reservations. They had no record of our reservations, but they were able to rebook most of them with 30-45 minutes of the original reservation time.

We did purchase 2 CruiseNext certificates, as the kids are getting older (no more daycare bills, LOL), so we are hoping to cruise a smidge more often and start bringing them.

Thanks!

How long are the shows in the Stardust Theater? We prefer to eat leisurely and not be rushed in getting to the shows so would like to make specialty dinner reservations after the 7 pm show. Would 8:30 be a reasonable time to get us to the various restaurants and/or the MDRs after the shows?

Also, I understand we can make reservations for the MDRs. Is that the case?

How long are the shows in the Stardust Theater? We prefer to eat leisurely and not be rushed in getting to the shows so would like to make specialty dinner reservations after the 7 pm show. Would 8:30 be a reasonable time to get us to the various restaurants and/or the MDRs after the shows?

The shows are about 50 minutes long. You are more than okay with 8:30 reservations, or just showing up in the MDR then.

Who were your Senior Hotel and Bridge Officers?

I honestly have no idea, sorry. The captain was Lars and the cruise director was Dan Dan. Those were the only names that caught my attention.

Do you have the freestyle dailies?

I didn't keep them :(

Did you take photos of MDR menus or specialty dining menus now that they have changed? thx.

We didn't eat any dinners in the MDR. We ate at the specialty restaurants every night except one (that night we did the buffet because they had gnocchi which is something I love but hubby won't touch, LOL).

I don't have any photos of the specialty restaurants, but we were on the Gem in 2013 also and nothing stuck in our minds as being different. The menus may have little changes, but a lot of the items we definitely remembered. I know for a fact the specialty cocktail in Cagney's definitely didn't change.

Hi everyone!

My hubby and I were on the Gem August 8th - August 15th sailing. If anyone has any questions, let me know!

We didn't have our kids with us, so I can't comment on the Splash Academy.

We absolutely loved it and had no significant issues. The only thing I would mention is if you pre-book your dinners, definitely print out your reservations. They had no record of our reservations, but they were able to rebook most of them with 30-45 minutes of the original reservation time.

We did purchase 2 CruiseNext certificates, as the kids are getting older (no more daycare bills, LOL), so we are hoping to cruise a smidge more often and start bringing them.

Thanks!

Glad you had a good cruise. Was the rock wall open?

I would like to know if you saw any dance lessons in the dailies, if so what type?

Thanks

I don't recall seeing any dance lessons in the dailies, but it's definitely possible I missed them as my husband would probably jump overboard before he went to a dance lesson ;).

Did you go to the Mojito bar? If you did, is it outside or inside? If inside, are there windows to look out?

Thanks

We peeked in one night. It's on Deck 13 by Cagney's and shares the space with Moderno. It's inside, but has a curved wall of windows that look out on to the pool area. In 2013 that space was the Concierge Lounge.

My husband and I are thinking of booking the Gem next year ,Canada/New England, so we have some questions. We sailed on the Epic in Europe a few years ago so we do not have a lot of NCL experience. Can you tell me about the dining, what is included and what is additional cost? Also because they call it freestyle does that mean there are no formal nights, which would be great. If we want to eat in the regular dining room can we get a table for two? Do they have any lectures on sea days? We plan on booking a balcony, any suggestions on location and is the cost of a Mini worth it? Hope I did not ask to many questions. We have cruised a lot but just not with NCL so any help would be wonderful.. PS we are seniors

My husband and I are thinking of booking the Gem next year ,Canada/New England, so we have some questions. We sailed on the Epic in Europe a few years ago so we do not have a lot of NCL experience. Can you tell me about the dining, what is included and what is additional cost? Also because they call it freestyle does that mean there are no formal nights, which would be great. If we want to eat in the regular dining room can we get a table for two? Do they have any lectures on sea days? We plan on booking a balcony, any suggestions on location and is the cost of a Mini worth it? Hope I did not ask to many questions. We have cruised a lot but just not with NCL so any help would be wonderful.. PS we are seniors

I actually like it better than the EPIC.....dining, you can usually always get a seat for 2 at any time in the 2 main dining rooms without a wait....no formal nights............yes there are some seminars you can attend on sea days..........I personally would not bother with mini suite, it is really just a balcony with sometimes a tub. If you got balcony try to book AFT Facing balcony. They are a little more but the view is amazing.

I also prefer Gem to Epic. Didn't like the layout on Epic and was too big for my liking. Love the "no formal" nights, less to pack.

Agree that you probably dont need a mini suite, regular balcony would be fine I'd try to get one mid ship as closer to elevators Also higher up puts you closer to action. Only problem is sometimes difficult to get elevator going up as already filled. So, go down and stay on to go up!