CAPE LIBERTY 411 (and NYC too) Version 4!!

megr1125

Our cruise on Liberty was left on a Thursday. Traffic on the Cross Bronx and I-95 were a mess. We came home on a Sunday, and someone on our roll call later reported traffic on I-78 North/South to get to the Jersey turnpike was a mess. Not sure why, I assume that's why Waze redirected us.

My DH has it set for "fastest time" route.

The Cross Bronx and I95 are risky. Have you tried this route?

If you come down I95 there is a cutover to the Merritt at Milford CT exit 38. At Rye NY there is another cutover to the Hutchinson River Parkway South exit 21 immediately after exit 2 in CT (no exit 1). This cutover is longer than the one at Milford and involves getting off onto I287 West and following the signs to the Merritt/Hutch. You get off onto a service road, go through a few lights and take the turn for the Hutch south.

The Merritt Pkwy becomes the Hutchinson River Pkwy at the NY/CT line. From the Hutch take exit 15 in New Rochelle to get on the Cross County Pkwy. Stay in the middle left lane, which will become the left lane when the road "scrunches". This leads onto the Saw Mill River Pkwy South which becomes the Henry Hudson Pkwy at the NYC line ($5 toll - if no EZPass they will bill you in the mail and you need to pay it!). The toll is worth every penny.

You take the George Washington Bridge exit (left exit - stay to the right) and slide over to the middle left lane. Follow the NJ Turnpike signs. When you get on the turnpike, follow the first set of Lincoln Tunnel signs to get on the eastern spur of the turnpike, but don't get off at the actual tunnel exit. Continue on to exit 14-14A-14B-14C and follow the signs to exit 14A.

The are no trucks on this route from Meriden CT to the GW Bridge and you will avoid any traffic issues on the Cross Bronx Expressway or the intersection with I87.

To those who have used the new garage, have they made the traffic flow any easier for those who want to go directly to the garage and not drop off luggage? When I sailed out of Cape Liberty last year I was caught up in 20 minutes worth of traffic all going to the drop off area before I could branch off to get to the old parking lot. I usually only have carry-on size bags so I don't need to drop any off.

If coming from CT, I strong suggest cutting across I-287, taking the Tappan Zee Bridge to the Garden State Parkway, exiting onto Route 17, taking that down to the Meadowlands and picking up the Turnpike there. There may be some traffic on 17 if you're on a Saturday (especially during holiday season) and there are traffic lights, but it's nothing compared to the GWB. Another alternative is getting onto the Palisades Parkway south after crossing the TZB and then pick up the Turnpike (via I-80?) on the other side of the GWB.

The toll on the TZB is much less than the GWB so going back that way is cheaper, too. There is one $1.50 toll on the Parkway, southbound only.

If coming from CT, I strong suggest cutting across I-287, taking the Tappan Zee Bridge to the Garden State Parkway, exiting onto Route 17, taking that down to the Meadowlands and picking up the Turnpike there. There may be some traffic on 17 if you're on a Saturday (especially during holiday season) and there are traffic lights, but it's nothing compared to the GWB. Another alternative is getting onto the Palisades Parkway south after crossing the TZB and then pick up the Turnpike (via I-80?) on the other side of the GWB.

The toll on the TZB is much less than the GWB so going back that way is cheaper, too. There is one $1.50 toll on the Parkway, southbound only.

I totally concur with this route better than any other suggested.

Guest maddycat
To those who have used the new garage, have they made the traffic flow any easier for those who want to go directly to the garage and not drop off luggage? When I sailed out of Cape Liberty last year I was caught up in 20 minutes worth of traffic all going to the drop off area before I could branch off to get to the old parking lot. I usually only have carry-on size bags so I don't need to drop any off.

If you go directly to the garage it should be much quicker. The back up was for the drop off area. For our next cruise we plan on parking in the garage and then walking back to drop off our luggage.

If you go directly to the garage it should be much quicker. The back up was for the drop off area. For our next cruise we plan on parking in the garage and then walking back to drop off our luggage.

That's exactly what I want to do. The problem last year was that the road to the parking lot didn't split off from the main road to the drop off area until just before the drop off area, thus requiring a long wait in traffic before being able to get to the parking lot. If they are no longer using the old parking lot it would be nice if they created a cutoff lane that went directly to the garage.

That's exactly what I want to do. The problem last year was that the road to the parking lot didn't split off from the main road to the drop off area until just before the drop off area, thus requiring a long wait in traffic before being able to get to the parking lot. If they are no longer using the old parking lot it would be nice if they created a cutoff lane that went directly to the garage.

It's completely different now.

I totally concur with this route better than any other suggested.

Yes, I live in Northern Westchester County and this is the way that I go (which is why I posted it). My GPS gets upset when I get onto the Tappan Zee approach instead of heading down to I-87, but it gets over it and eventually sends me to the GSP.

That's good to hear. How far up is the cutoff? Between the last two warehouse-type buildings or even further up?

It's all the way at the end past where you turn but the terminal access is better laid out. Are you planning your route that carefully? The garage is to the right of the old terminal building and the new terminal is to the right of that.

[quote name='MisterBill99']If coming from CT, I strong suggest cutting across I-287, taking the Tappan Zee Bridge to the Garden State Parkway, exiting onto Route 17, taking that down to the Meadowlands and picking up the Turnpike there. There may be some traffic on 17 if you're on a Saturday (especially during holiday season) and there are traffic lights, but it's nothing compared to the GWB. Another alternative is getting onto the Palisades Parkway south after crossing the TZB and then pick up the Turnpike (via I-80?) on the other side of the GWB.

The toll on the TZB is much less than the GWB so going back that way is cheaper, too. There is one $1.50 toll on the Parkway, southbound only.[/QUOTE]

We'll have to agree to disagree. Coming down from CT is a little different than coming down I87 from Northern Westchester. We've been doing the Merritt/Hutch route for 35+ years from the Boston area. If you're doing it after 9 am to go to a cruise, the route I described southbound through Westchester Co and NYC has a lot of advantages:

1) Cars only until the GW Bridge - toll on the Henry Hudson eliminates a lot of folks who don't want to pay the toll
2). Avoids the intersection of I87 and I95, a notorious bottleneck
3) No bridge toll to NJ
4). Direct access onto the GW Bridge via a dedicated lane from the exit on Riverside Drive
5). Miles shorter
6). Avoids route 17, another notorious traffic plagued route

Years ago we lived near route 17 in Paramus. The traffic was hideous then, particularly southbound towards route 3. I can't imagine it has improved significantly over the years. If you swing all the way west, you can get caught in the residual morning traffic trying to get to one of routes to go into the city.

Coming back is another problem. After experimenting with different routes, I've actually found that sneaking into the Holland tunnel via local streets in Jersey City via the Turnpike Grand Street exit actually works well if that tunnel is not screwed up. In NYC you follow the signs to West Street and go all the way north on 12th Ave to the Henry Hudson. The worst traffic can actually be once you cross the state line into CT.

[quote name='138east']
3) No bridge toll to NJ
6). Avoids route 17, another notorious traffic plagued route

Years ago we lived near route 17 in Paramus. The traffic was hideous then, particularly southbound towards route 3. I can't imagine it has improved significantly over the years. If you swing all the way west, you can get caught in the residual morning traffic trying to get to one of routes to go into the city.
[/QUOTE]
Tolls over the Hudson are always eastbound-only, so they will be free no matter what bridge/tunnel you take. And I didn't mention it, but I'm pretty sure that my way is cheaper in terms of NJTP tolls as well since you pick it up further south. You do get hit with the $1.50 toll on the GSP going there.

Route 17 can be bad for maybe 2 miles using my route. Once you get past the Garden State Plaza, it's not a problem other than traffic lights. There should not be much traffic on the TZB because you're going against rush hour traffic (most people head into Westchester, not over to Rockland). I suppose there could be some heading into White Plains, but if you take the Merritt down, that's also a pretty short stretch on 287 before getting to WP.

As you say, we're going to have to agree to disagree. I like my route, and coming from CT is not that much different since it's 10 minutes westbound on 287 before you get to where I pick it up. Edited by MisterBill99

Is that correct? Cab fare from the airport to the cruise port $16.00. Is that per person. I have 4 in my party.

Also our hotel offers shuttle to the cruise port. Best Western. Have not check cost yet.

thanks for this thread....

[quote name='FROGGY23']Is that correct? Cab fare from the airport to the cruise port $16.00. Is that per person. I have 4 in my party.

Also our hotel offers shuttle to the cruise port. Best Western. Have not check cost yet.

thanks for this thread....[/QUOTE]

That is sort of correct for four people. There are no shuttles to the port. Car service will run $55-65 plus tip, so it's about $16/pp with 4 people. There is a return shuttle from the port that is $28.50/pp, so booking a car service is a smart choice for coming back.

Are you locked into the Best Western? If not, what are you paying for you room? There may be other options depending on whether you are flying or you need cruise parking.

[quote name='Summerfl']What is the most reliable/economical transportation from Cape Liberty to (EWR)?
Returning from Royal Caribbean trip on Dec. 12 and plane leaves at 12:25pm.[/QUOTE]

Plane time should be fine. The only "most economical" is cab and public transit, which is a cumbersome trip to the airport. For most reliable your best bet would be to book a car service like Dial7 or Carmelimo for $55-65 rather than deal with trying to get similarly priced transportation from the Taxi Disoatcher on the fly.

Hi 138East!

I will be on Adventure the week before you! :)

We just booked Anthem this morning for Oct 1, 2016.

I see you recommend staying at Radisson Plaza using Trinity to book. Do you recommend this hotel over Country Inn and Suites? Are they close geographically? Both have stay, cruise, park packages, with CI&S being priced higher.

Now we have to decide whether to try to take Amtrak from Baltimore airport, or drive up the night before . I was thinking Amtrak early morning the day of departure, but I am a worrier... and what if something goes amiss?

Not sure how bad the traffic would be. Anthem sails on a Saturday, so that's probably good. But Friday night traffic? And to leave again on a Thursday morning?

And finally, is there a way you'd recommend getting to Ellis Island and The Statue of Liberty from either of those hotels? Or is it really just too much?

Thank you for your thoughts on this!

[quote name='Marylandteachergirl']Hi 138East!

I see you recommend staying at Radisson Plaza using Trinity to book. Do you recommend this hotel over Country Inn and Suites? Are they close geographically? Both have stay, cruise, park packages, with CI&S being priced higher.

Now we have to decide whether to try to take Amtrak from Baltimore airport, or drive up the night before . I was thinking Amtrak early morning the day of departure, but I am a worrier... and what if something goes amiss?

Not sure how bad the traffic would be. Anthem sails on a Saturday, so that's probably good. But Friday night traffic? And to leave again on a Thursday morning?

And finally, is there a way you'd recommend getting to Ellis Island and The Statue of Liberty from either of those hotels? Or is it really just too much?

Thank you for your thoughts on this![/QUOTE]

You can take Amtrak the morning of the cruise, but we generally don't recommend it because any delays could cause you to miss the cruise.

Could you tell me whether you would like to go to Ellis Island and the statue of Liberty the day before the cruise or the day you disembark? That would affect the advice I give you. It's really almost a full day's trip most easily done from Liberty State Park in Jersey City, which is at Exit 14B on the NJ Turnpike. This is one exit from Cape Liberty, which is at Exit 14A.

Quite frankly, I would consider paying the $95 to park at the port. This gives you a lot more flexibility in your choice of pre cruise accommodations and will get you on the road home a lot faster when you disembark. Would you consider making a non cancellable Reservation?

The Ramada Plaza has mostly double beds and Country Inns has King/queen beds. CI offers free breakfast. The Ramada is $202 tax included and Country Inns is $307 tax included.

Please post back with your thoughts.

I would consider driving up, as Amtrak seems a pain with having to switch trains several times. I HATE traffic - but my husband works in DC and drives in Baltimore. We could drive up very early Saturday morning. Then park at the port. I have heard the drive north isn't too terrible with the turnpikes.

That being said, I think I'd opt for Ellis Island and Statue of Liberty after the cruise then. We disembark on a Thursday morning - so that would put us in a ton of commute traffic I fear. It might be better to stay that night?

I don't mind pre-paying at all - once I know our plans for sure. I pre-paid for our pre-cruise hotel for Allure almost a year out. The way I look at it, it's one more thing paid off.

I am not adverse to either of the hotels - just looking for the one that is most convenient - and the option you most recommend! ;)

[quote name='Marylandteachergirl']Hi 138East!

Not sure how bad the traffic would be. Anthem sails on a Saturday, so that's probably good. But Friday night traffic? And to leave again on a Thursday morning?[/quote]
First, I wanted to say that for a 5 night cruise (which is apparently what you're doing), the economics of doing the sleep and stay vs. parking at the port doesn't really make it worth it. You can probably stay at a hotel for under $100 and then just drive to the port.

As for taking the train from Baltimore airport, that reminds me of one of our worst cruise travel experiences (I was about to say the worst until I remembered something worse going to San Juan). We booked Grandeur back in 2005, and my TA gave me the option of free airfare or a $200 credit per person. Since we're in NY, and we were sailing on Saturday, I did not want to have to drive that on Friday, and I had to decide right away, so we took the airfare. VERY BAD MOVE. Going down I remember having to rearrange stuff in our luggage at the airport because it was our first time flying with the new weight limits. Then coming back, we had been booked on a late afternoon flight. When I got to the airport I asked to be put on the noon flight, at which point they told me a) that flight was full and b) that my flight had been cancelled due to anticipated bad weather. They ended up booking us on Amtrak, which we then had to handle with all of our luggage. Then of course when we got to EWR we had to switch trains so that we could get to the pickup spot for our hotel (I think I had parked at the Ramada).

So.. I'd recommend driving, and just allow enough time for the traffic

[quote name='Marylandteachergirl']I would consider driving up, as Amtrak seems a pain with having to switch trains several times. I HATE traffic - but my husband works in DC and drives in Baltimore. We could drive up very early Saturday morning. Then park at the port. I have heard the drive north isn't too terrible with the turnpikes.

That being said, I think I'd opt for Ellis Island and Statue of Liberty after the cruise then. We disembark on a Thursday morning - so that would put us in a ton of commute traffic I fear. It might be better to stay that night?

I don't mind pre-paying at all - once I know our plans for sure. I pre-paid for our pre-cruise hotel for Allure almost a year out. The way I look at it, it's one more thing paid off.

I am not adverse to either of the hotels - just looking for the one that is most convenient - and the option you most recommend! ;)[/QUOTE]

I don't have a problem with you driving up early Sat morning. Baltimore is about three hours from Cape Liberty. I drove down from the Boston area last June for the same Bermuda cruise. If you change your mind, you can drive up the night before and get a hotel in Hightstown or Cranbury (Exits 8 or 8A on the Turnpike) and do the last 45 minutes the next morning.

The following Thursday you can do an extended day in NYC if you like. Parking at Liberty a State Park is $7. The ferry goes first to Ellis Island and then on to the SOL. [url]http://www.statuecruises.com/schedule.aspx[/url] Once you are finished on the islands it is possible to return to NYC to see the 911 memorial area if you like. From the World Trade Center area you can return by ferry to Liberty State Park ([url]http://www.libertylandingferry.com/weekday-schedule.aspx[/url]) for $5/pp with your SOL ticket stubs. Last ferry is 8:30 pm

Hotel prices are going to be higher on a Thur. Staying at the airport is convenient, but totally unexciting. I might consider driving a bit down the turnpike (see above) to get to a more suburban area with amenities like restaurants. If you waited until 7 pm you could probably drive all the way home.

[quote name='138east']I don't have a problem with you driving up early Sat morning. Baltimore is about three hours from Cape Liberty. I drove down from the Boston area last June for the same Bermuda cruise. If you change your mind, you can drive up the night before and get a hotel in Hightstown or Cranbury (Exits 8 or 8A on the Turnpike) and do the last 45 minutes the next morning.

The following Thursday you can do an extended day in NYC if you like. Parking at Liberty a State Park is $7. The ferry goes first to Ellis Island and then on to the SOL. [url]http://www.statuecruises.com/schedule.aspx[/url] Once you are finished on the islands it is possible to return to NYC to see the 911 memorial area if you like. From the World Trade Center area you can return by ferry to Liberty State Park ([url]http://www.libertylandingferry.com/weekday-schedule.aspx[/url]) for $5/pp with your SOL ticket stubs. Last ferry is 8:30 pm

Hotel prices are going to be higher on a Thur. Staying at the airport is convenient, but totally unexciting. I might consider driving a bit down the turnpike (see above) to get to a more suburban area with amenities like restaurants. If you waited until 7 pm you could probably drive all the way home.[/QUOTE]

I think your plan is perfect. That's what I was leaning towards, too! I really do want to see Ellis Island and the Statue of Liberty and the 9/11 Memorial. I think a day trip is great, and I was wondering if there was parking at the state park - and you said there is!!! Yay!

Our worst cruise was on Grandeur from Baltimore. It was a number of contributing factors. We love sailing from San Juan, and the Southern Caribbean is our favorite warm itinerary - but getting there can be an adventure.

Weather should still be pretty nice in early October - assuming no super storms, so I think a day of touring post cruise will be awesome. We may drive all the way home starting around 7, or maybe stop somewhere along the way. More for me to research!!!

You are so wonderful to share your time and knowledge. Thank you!!!!

[quote name='Marylandteachergirl']I think your plan is perfect. That's what I was leaning towards, too! I really do want to see Ellis Island and the Statue of Liberty and the 9/11 Memorial. I think a day trip is great, and I was wondering if there was parking at the state park - and you said there is!!! Yay!

Our worst cruise was on Grandeur from Baltimore. It was a number of contributing factors. We love sailing from San Juan, and the Southern Caribbean is our favorite warm itinerary - but getting there can be an adventure.

Weather should still be pretty nice in early October - assuming no super storms, so I think a day of touring post cruise will be awesome. We may drive all the way home starting around 7, or maybe stop somewhere along the way. More for me to research!!!

You are so wonderful to share your time and knowledge. Thank you!!!![/QUOTE]

So glad you have a plan. For folks with a car, going to the SOL/Ellis Island from Liberty State Park is the way to go. Since there is ferry service from the World Financial Center back to Liberty State Park, adding on the 911 Memorial area after the SOL is an option.

If you're not buying crown tickets, I'm not sure you really need to reserve tickets for a Thursday morning in October from Liberty State Park. We were there on a gorgeous Sunday the week after Labor Day and had no problem just walking up and buying tickets and getting on the next ferry.

[quote name='138east']So glad you have a plan. For folks with a car, going to the SOL/Ellis Island from Liberty State Park is the way to go. Since there is ferry service from the World Financial Center back to Liberty State Park, adding on the 911 Memorial area after the SOL is an option.

If you're not buying crown tickets, I'm not sure you really need to reserve tickets for a Thursday morning in October from Liberty State Park. We were there on a gorgeous Sunday the week after Labor Day and had no problem just walking up and buying tickets and getting on the next ferry.[/QUOTE]

Not buying crown tickets. I do like to have as much planned and paid for as I can though. I'm wondering if we can fit in a visit to the USS Intrepid, too? I think some ferries stop nearby.

We may stop part way home along the I-95 corridor. We will see how late it is.