CAPE LIBERTY 411 (and NYC too) Version 4!!

megr1125

Yes, it's a general thread about cruising from Cape Liberty with all sorts of information and advice on:

Parking

Airports

Hotels

Directions

Luggage storage (or lack thereof)

All sorts of transportation including car services, taxis, Amtrak, NJ Transit, PATH, Hudson-Bergen light rail, NYC subway and bus, NJ Transit bus, airport bus, ferries, and shuttles.

New York sightseeing

Strategies for putting all of the above together to create the best plan for your trip to the New York metro area, which is complicated and expensive.

Good morning. My wife and I will be staying at the Renaissance at EWR on June 11, 2016 prior to our cruise from Cape Liberty on June 12, 2016 on Celebrity Summit. I would appreciate any thoughts on two topics:

1. Best flight time from EWR back to STL on January 19, 2016. I usually schedule after 12:00 p.m. Any problems with that plan?

2. Car Service or Shuttle recommendations from Hotel to Pier and back to EWR for return flight home.

Thanks and Happy Cruising! Bob and Linda

Good morning. My wife and I will be staying at the Renaissance at EWR on June 11, 2016 prior to our cruise from Cape Liberty on June 12, 2016 on Celebrity Summit. I would appreciate any thoughts on two topics:

1. Best flight time from EWR back to STL on January 19, 2016. I usually schedule after 12:00 p.m. Any problems with that plan?

2. Car Service or Shuttle recommendations from Hotel to Pier and back to EWR for return flight home.

Thanks and Happy Cruising! Bob and Linda

1). After 12 is fine.

2). Car Service - Dial 7 or Carmellimo. Shuttle to EWR from the Cape Liberty taxi dispatcher - $28.50/pp. No shuttle service to the port - only RCL transfers from the airport.

Do have a shuttle from the new Cape Liberty Parking Garage to the terminal, like they did from the outside parking area we used last spring?

No shuttle from the parking garage. It is just to the west of the terminal and is just a short walk. Several folks have mentioned that they skipped the drop off and it was an easy walk with rolling luggage.

No shuttle from the parking garage. It is just to the west of the terminal and is just a short walk. Several folks have mentioned that they skipped the drop off and it was an easy walk with rolling luggage.

We waited on a long line to get to the terminal and drop off our luggage but probably should have just parked and walked it over since it took forever to get to the drop-off. We rolled out luggage back to the garage after the cruise. One thing I immediately noticed was that someone forgot to put automatic doors on the entrance so you need to manually open the door to get to the elevator lobby. Very poor design.

We waited on a long line to get to the terminal and drop off our luggage but probably should have just parked and walked it over since it took forever to get to the drop-off. We rolled out luggage back to the garage after the cruise. One thing I immediately noticed was that someone forgot to put automatic doors on the entrance so you need to manually open the door to get to the elevator lobby. Very poor design.

They should have also had a side door, from the terminal, on the side of the parking garage, so you didn't have to walk around from the front.

We will be sailing out of Cape Liberty on RCL Anthem in March.

Does anyone know the current parking situation at Cape Liberty? We are deciding whether to drive up from South Jersey and park, or whether to take a car service. All I can find on the cruise port web site is that there is parking available for $20/day.

The last time we were there was July of 2014, and I remember the traffic flow being a mess. At that time we took a service and the parking seemed to be right across the street from the quonset hut structure where the check-in was.

Also, do they still shuttle people from the check-in area on buses?

Thanks for any insight!

Edited by ThanxMM

We will be sailing out of Cape Liberty on RCL Anthem in March.

Does anyone know the current parking situation at Cape Liberty? We are deciding whether to drive up from South Jersey and park, or whether to take a car service. All I can find on the cruise port web site is that there is parking available for $20/day.

The last time we were there was July of 2014, and I remember the traffic flow being a mess. At that time we took a service and the parking seemed to be right across the street from the quonset hut structure where the check-in was.

Also, do they still shuttle people from the check-in area on buses?

Thanks for any insight!

There is a new terminal and a new parking garage. Parking in the garage is $20/day. You can easily walk from the garage to the terminal even with luggage. You can also drop off at the terminal and then go park. There are no more shuttle buses. There is ramp access from the terminal directly onto deck 5 of the ship.

You've probably answered this question before but what is the taxi situation like at Newark airport? at Cape Liberty? will I have a problem with a 11:10 flight home? or do I change it to a later flight?

I'm on the same cruise! 3 day Anthem in March.

This will be a different kind of cruise - super short, lots of locals, everyone with carryons. Let's see if some folks who have been on these short cruises can tell us more.

My normal response would be that if you self disembark, you can go to the taxi dispatcher and take a shared shuttle to EWR for $28.50/pp. But I'd really like to hear from someone who's done this after a CTN.

Hello , just wondering if a flight out of Newark @1057 am is cutting it close with coming in Cape Liberty @7am?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

It is certainly cutting it close. Makeable yes. I wouldn't even consider it on a weekday. You are gambling on arrival, customs, and traffic, going perfect.

Hello , just wondering if a flight out of Newark @1057 am is cutting it close with coming in Cape Liberty @7am?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

If you do self disembarkation which usually starts at 7:00 - 7:30 am and then have a car service waiting for you, you could possibly do it.

Newark is a 20 minute ride from Cape Liberty.

So if you walk off by 7:45, it will take you about 15 minutes to get through customs and then you should be outside around 8 AM, if you have car service waiting for you, you would most likely be at the airport at 8:30 AM.

Of course if one little thing goes wrong, like the ship is late, or customs delays disembarkation, etc. you will be in trouble.

You've probably answered this question before but what is the taxi situation like at Newark airport? at Cape Liberty? will I have a problem with a 11:10 flight home? or do I change it to a later flight?

And on the same subject, to expand on Carol's answer, (we are also on this sailing), there will probably be an amazing amount of walk-offs. It is a Monday morning, traffic will be tough, and security at Newark will be tougher. I live In Bayonne, so my postings on this kind of stuff comes from the experience of dealing with the traffic every day. So, as I answered the other poster, I wouldn't do it.

Edited by bayonnejoe

And on the same subject, to expand on Carol's answer, (we are also on this sailing), there will probably be an amazing amount of walk-offs. It is a Monday morning, traffic will be tough, and security at Newark will be tougher. I live In Bayonne, so my postings on this kind of stuff comes from the experience of dealing with the traffic every day. So, as I answered the other poster, I wouldn't do it.

I'm dreading the ride home. Joe - what do you think it would be like to try to sneak into the Holland Tunnel via Marin Blvd in Jersey City? Or should I just suck it up and deal with the GW Bridge traffic? I did the Holland Tunnel about a year ago on a Monday from the Courtyard in Jersey City and it was easy, but that was at 7 am. Going up the west side was also easy. I'm not sure I will be able to get off so early from the cruise.