CAPE LIBERTY 411 (and NYC too) Version 4!!

megr1125

[quote name='Marylandteachergirl']Not buying crown tickets. I do like to have as much planned and paid for as I can though. I'm wondering if we can fit in a visit to the USS Intrepid, too? I think some ferries stop nearby.

We may stop part way home along the I-95 corridor. We will see how late it is.[/QUOTE]

Unfortunately, the Liberty Landing Ferry is the only one that goes back to Liberty a State Park, so you have to factor that into your plan.

138east, We are not locked in to Best Western and we are flying in very late at 1am. So we were trying to stay by airport. Then plan to take a taxi in the morning to the cruise port. I think we are reserved at 95 for the night at Best Western. If you have a better option I am open as I know next to nothing about Newark, NJ. Thanks

[quote name='138east']Unfortunately, the Liberty Landing Ferry is the only one that goes back to Liberty a State Park, so you have to factor that into your plan.[/QUOTE]

Park at state park, take ferry to SOL and Ellis Island, then return to state park and take a different ferry, or can I catch a ferry from Ellis Island to 9/11 Memorial directly?

Thank you all!!!!

[quote name='FROGGY23']138east, We are not locked in to Best Western and we are flying in very late at 1am. So we were trying to stay by airport. Then plan to take a taxi in the morning to the cruise port. I think we are reserved at 95 for the night at Best Western. If you have a better option I am open as I know next to nothing about Newark, NJ. Thanks[/QUOTE]

You'll be fine. Typically we don't recommend the Best Western because of its isolated location on the west side of the airport and we particularly don't recommend it for ditching cars, but you are arriving very late and shouldn't need dinner or other services.

With four people you might consider contacting Independent driver - 888-816-0973 4-6 weeks out to arrange port transportation.

[quote name='Marylandteachergirl']Park at state park, take ferry to SOL and Ellis Island, then return to state park and take a different ferry, or can I catch a ferry from Ellis Island to 9/11 Memorial directly?

Thank you all!!!![/QUOTE]

Please pull up the ferry maps to see the routes. There are two SOL/Ellis island ferries. One leaves from Liberty State Park in NJ and the other leaves from Battery Park/South Ferry in Manhattan. Most folks leave from Battery Park - that is the ferry with the big lines where IMO reservations are necessary. The Liberty State Park ferry is underutilized. We did not reserve a time to go on a gorgeous Sunday in early Sept. There were no long lines and we just showed up and got on the next ferry, which was relatively empty.

Once you are out on the islands, you can take any ferry, which means you can go to Ellis Island first, then the SOL, and take the ferry back to Manhattan, or go to the SOL first, then Ellis Island, and then back to Manhattan.

Once in lower Manhattan you can walk the 15-20 minutes to the World Trade Center area or take a cab. If walking, you can see Battery Park, Bowing Green, Wall Street, and Trinity Church along the way.

The Liberty Landing ferry leaves from the end of Vesey Street at the World Financial Center, which is just west of the World Trade Center 911 Memorial area. With your SOL ticket stubs it is $5/pp. The result on the map is that you're doing a big circle from Liberty State Park to Ellis Island to Liberty Island to Battery Park to World Trade and back to Liberty State Park.

The Intrepid is uptown at West 46th and 12th Ave and closes at 5 pm. I think it would be very ambitious to disembark, get yourselves to Liberty State Park, stop at Ellis Island and the SOL, return to Manhattan, take the subway and walk to the Intrepid, return back downtown to the 911 Memorial, and then return back to Liberty State Park all in one day. The 911 area is open late, so that should be the last place you visit.

My wife and I are booked on the 2/6/16 Anthem out of Cape Liberty. We've just learned Academy Bus has stopped working with RCCL (we'd already bought our bus tickets). We have no idea how we're going to get down there now from where we live in Providence, Rhode Island. If anyone has any suggestions, please let me know in the Academy bus thread. Flying's unrealistic and driving, from what I hear, is a nightmare (not to mention parking)...

[quote name='jd10367']My wife and I are booked on the 2/6/16 Anthem out of Cape Liberty. We've just learned Academy Bus has stopped working with RCCL (we'd already bought our bus tickets). We have no idea how we're going to get down there now from where we live in Providence, Rhode Island. If anyone has any suggestions, please let me know in the Academy bus thread. Flying's unrealistic and driving, from what I hear, is a nightmare (not to mention parking)...[/QUOTE]

Did you look into the train-- I would think that would be more reliable than the bus in the winter, anyway.

[quote name='jd10367']My wife and I are booked on the 2/6/16 Anthem out of Cape Liberty. We've just learned Academy Bus has stopped working with RCCL (we'd already bought our bus tickets). We have no idea how we're going to get down there now from where we live in Providence, Rhode Island. If anyone has any suggestions, please let me know in the Academy bus thread. Flying's unrealistic and driving, from what I hear, is a nightmare (not to mention parking)...[/QUOTE]

This is what I did last year for a 1/23 cruise leaving on a Friday.

Took Amtrak Thurs late afternoon arriving in Newark Penn Station around 8 pm. $49. Booked the Robert Treat Hotel for under $100 including tax. For your date a Queen prepaid is $92.40 through the hotel. I took public transit/cab to the port - a cab would be in the $50-60 range. Hotel has free shuttle pick up at Newark Penn Station, but if it's cold and you don't want to wait, a cab would be under $10 to the hotel. IMO this is an easier option than going to the airport station and trying to get to a hotel via Airtrain and shuttle. The Robert Treat is very nice and offers free breakfast. There is only one hotel at the airport in this price range that I would consider staying at.

Coming back we arrived in a snowstorm that was a "blizzard" in the Boston area. The train got me to Boston, but I had to stay in a hotel because I couldn't safely get to my house. Luckily for me my trip insurance covered that. Folks who drove had a miserable time.

Bottom line - if this appeals, book the train NOW. The 4 pm train from Providence only has two seats left. The 6 pm train has more room.

I can answer any questions you might have about this journey.

We arrived around 11:30am. Baggage drop off and parking went quickly. Lots of spaces. We parked at level 3D. Parking was $19 per day, pay ahead. There is an elevator in the garage.

Check in for the ship was horrible! Wifi was down inside the terminal. It took HOURS for people to check in and get on the ship.

Departure was unexpectedly quick! We asked for an 8am departure. We left the ship around 8:10am. Found our bags and went through customs in a few minutes - no lines! Took elevator up to our car. No back up leaving the garage!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

[quote name='phillygirl2400']

Departure was unexpectedly quick! We asked for an 8am departure. We left the ship around 8:10am. Found our bags and went through customs in a few minutes - no lines! Took elevator up to our car. No back up leaving the garage!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk[/QUOTE]

I have found in past experiences (last cruise was 5 years ago) that find your bags among the thousands of bags was horrible putting it mildly. Hoping they have got a better method for that now.

Thanks so much for answering questions.

[quote=Cruisin' Ya Ya;48439301]I have found in past experiences (last cruise was 5 years ago) that find your bags among the thousands of bags was horrible putting it mildly. Hoping they have got a better method for that now.
[/quote]
It's not thousands of bags. Your bags should be in the section with your number, which is maybe a hundred or so bags. Now, finding the section with your number used to be a challenge in the old terminal. I'm not sure if it's any easier now, since we carried our bags off when we were on Summit in August. Do that and you don't have to find your luggage. You do have to carry it off with you, however, which can be a challenge depending on how much you have. Edited by MisterBill99

Thanks a ton for the info. I will contact the driver you suggested. Also, I do not want to fly with our obligatory 2 btls of wine and were thinking of taking a taxi to a liquor store or anywhere close to or on the way to the port. Any advice? Thanks so much for your input....

[quote name='FROGGY23']Thanks a ton for the info. I will contact the driver you suggested. Also, I do not want to fly with our obligatory 2 btls of wine and were thinking of taking a taxi to a liquor store or anywhere close to or on the way to the port. Any advice? Thanks so much for your input....[/QUOTE]

When you book, be sure to tell the car service you want to stop at the shopping center near the port. You may be surprised at the surcharge to do this, but you are 4 people, so it might be worth it.

[url]http://www.yelp.com/biz/wine-warehouse-bayonne[/url]

• 2 weeks later...
[quote name='megr1125']Hey all,

Here we go again!!

Since the previous thread was soooo long, I am starting anew!

Feel free to ask your Cape Liberty and even NYC questions here!

Now that we have Quantum, and soon Liberty and then Anthem, not to mention Summit for a while, and a couple stops by Serenade, things should remain busy!![/QUOTE]

So, what is the best option to have a decent hotel, get from the airport to the hotel, and from the hotel to the port? We're flying in to EWR.

[quote name='Alwaysacruiseinthequeue']So, what is the best option to have a decent hotel, get from the airport to the hotel, and from the hotel to the port? We're flying in to EWR.[/QUOTE]

Could you provide more details? Did I see on another thread you have 8 people you are asking for? What time does your flight arrive? Have you booked a hotel? Are you looking to go out to dinner?

All the airport hotels offer a free shuttle, but you have to take your luggage up the escalator or elevator to the top level to catch the free Airtrain to the P4 Station, which is the shuttle pickup point. [url]https://www.panynj.gov/airports/pdf/ewr-airtrain-brochure-english.pdf[/url]

Many airport hotels offer free breakfast, but are not full service and have no restaurant. Depending on the hotel you select, your dining choices may be limited to takeout or walking to a neighboring hotel. Only the hotels on International Boulevard (formerly Glimcher Realty Way) in Elizabeth have easy access to IHOP, Ruby Tuesday's, Johnny Rockets, and the food court at the Jersey Gardens Mall.

We were just on the 12/12-19 Anthem cruise. We chose to self carry-off our luggage, because when we got on the ship, there was a frenzy of leaving through all the passengers getting off from the previous cruise, and we didn't want to get caught in that when we returned. It was lightening fast. We were told to meet at 6:30 on the deck 5 gangway, which was near the Wonderland Restaurant. We got down there about 6:10 and the line went all the way back toward Jamie's restaurant and probably further back toward Two70.. Some other passengers said the line started about 4:30am. We got in line just past Jamie's and feared it would be about an hour before the line would move and get us off. At 6:30, the line started moving, and it was moving fast. We were off the ship, thru customs (took 15 seconds literally) and entering our car at 7am. We had a 10 minute delay because I forgot to get our car keys out before leaving the room and they were still in the suitcase, so the search took 10 minutes. No traffic leaving the port.

That sounds good--except for the part about lining up at 4:30 am!! If we're driving (and we will be), we like to take our time that last morning. I'd rather deal with the crush outside than have to get up so early.

Of course if it means we're traveling to our vacation, I'll get up whatever time I need to! [emoji23]

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

[quote name='138east']Could you provide more details? Did I see on another thread you have 8 people you are asking for? What time does your flight arrive? Have you booked a hotel? Are you looking to go out to dinner?

All the airport hotels offer a free shuttle, but you have to take your luggage up the escalator or elevator to the top level to catch the free Airtrain to the P4 Station, which is the shuttle pickup point. [url]https://www.panynj.gov/airports/pdf/ewr-airtrain-brochure-english.pdf[/url]

Many airport hotels offer free breakfast, but are not full service and have no restaurant. Depending on the hotel you select, your dining choices may be limited to takeout or walking to a neighboring hotel. Only the hotels on International Boulevard (formerly Glimcher Realty Way) in Elizabeth have easy access to IHOP, Ruby Tuesday's, Johnny Rockets, and the food court at the Jersey Gardens Mall.[/QUOTE]

flight arrives mid morning. Yes to need a place for dinner.

[quote name='Alwaysacruiseinthequeue']flight arrives mid morning. Yes to need a place for dinner.[/QUOTE]

More questions. What exact date are you arriving? What is your hotel budget? Have you booked any hotel rooms? (assuming 4 rooms with 2 people?). If you arrive mid morning, what are you going to do all day at a Newark Airport hotel where there is nothing to do? Any interest in going into NYC?

I believe your transportation questions were answered on another thread.

The more details you provide about how you envision this pre cruise day, the better advice you are going to get.