CAPE LIBERTY 411 (and NYC too) Version 4!!

megr1125

As of Jan 2016 there is a garage next to the terminal. Park in garage and take a elevator to the ground floor and walk to the terminal. This is after you drop off all your checked luggage. $20 / day to park.

Is there a way for me to get the car from the garage, and then pick my wife up with the suitcases?

Great thanks..now by get myself off do you mean do self disembarkation? As I have issues carrying heavy items and DH wouldn't be able to handle it all on his own...think we can still manage the flight and the shared shuttle if we do the normal disembarkation and pick up the luggage that the ship offloads? Also is it easy to see where to get the shared shuttles? Where, when and how do we pay for the shuttle..ie a kiosk, on bus, cash or credit card? So I can make sure I have what is needed handy.

The Taxi Dispatcher is directly across the road from the customs exit. I don't know what the payment options are, but I'm sure they accept cash.

As soon as you board the ship I would go to guest services and request an early departure time.

The Taxi Dispatcher is directly across the road from the customs exit. I don't know what the payment options are, but I'm sure they accept cash.

As soon as you board the ship I would go to guest services and request an early departure time.

Carol, great will do about going to guest services. I saw on X site that they don't have a space to enter our flight plans like they do on princess. Princess uses that to give our disembarkation status, but I will make sure to check in with them.

Ok so both the taxi and shuttle is across the road...stupid question..is it a real road or like a lane/road within the terminal area?

Is there a way for me to get the car from the garage, and then pick my wife up with the suitcases?

There is an area on the ground level where you can have your wife wait with your luggage. It's where the porters bring the luggage to. When you go to leave the parking garage instead of exiting turn left at the bottom of the ramp. Tell the guy directing traffic you are picking up your luggage and he will point you in the right direction. No need to exit and drive all the way around again.

There is an area on the ground level where you can have your wife wait with your luggage. It's where the porters bring the luggage to. When you go to leave the parking garage instead of exiting turn left at the bottom of the ramp. Tell the guy directing traffic you are picking up your luggage and he will point you in the right direction. No need to exit and drive all the way around again.

Thank you.:)

Carol, great will do about going to guest services. I saw on X site that they don't have a space to enter our flight plans like they do on princess. Princess uses that to give our disembarkation status, but I will make sure to check in with them.

Ok so both the taxi and shuttle is across the road...stupid question..is it a real road or like a lane/road within the terminal area?

It's the drop off lane/road within the terminal area.

The Taxi Dispatcher runs all the livery service at the port that is not prearranged. They put together the shuttles and get cars/cabs for private hire. It's can be a real mixed bag of vehicles. My impression is that these independent vehicles must somehow be registered In order to get passenger fares. You will not be able to "flag" a cab at Cape Liberty. You will also have a choice between a shared shuttle and a private vehicle, which gives you more flexibility. Since you have mobility issues, I would verify that you will be dropped off right at your terminal at the airport.

It's the drop off lane/road within the terminal area.

The Taxi Dispatcher runs all the livery service at the port that is not prearranged. They put together the shuttles and get cars/cabs for private hire. It's can be a real mixed bag of vehicles. My impression is that these independent vehicles must somehow be registered In order to get passenger fares. You will not be able to "flag" a cab at Cape Liberty. You will also have a choice between a shared shuttle and a private vehicle, which gives you more flexibility. Since you have mobility issues, I would verify that you will be dropped off right at your terminal at the airport.

Thank you. I can wheel the luggage just fine but just can't carry it up or down stairs which is one of the reasons we don't do self disembarkation. ..I have a bad shoulder so I am limited on what I can carry. Ok so we will make sure to ask for the shared shuttle as you recommend unless we end up pressed for time then we will do a taxi...I believe I saw a post on the cost of the taxi. . Will look back through unless someone remembers off the top of their head. Now that flights are booked we are more excited.

I'm sailing on the Anthem CTN on March 4 and I will be driving. I'm assuming there will still be outside overflow parking at Cape Liberty, but I will ask. I could see the garage filling up when both Anthem and Summit are sailing. The parking could also be tight for the CTN since many folks will be local and it's only $60 to park. There is plenty of outside space at CL to put cars.

Hi Carol,

FYI my son works on the Anthem doing the Music Hall lighting. We will be visiting him on the 7th when you disembark.

Hi Carol,

FYI my son works on the Anthem doing the Music Hall lighting. We will be visiting him on the 7th when you disembark.

Ruth - how are you??? I can't believe I'm going to miss you. I will check out the Music Hall. How nice to have your son based out of Cape Liberty!

I've been doing alternative cruising adventures - Panama Canal last Oct and Hawaii in April. Mar 4 is the second short cruise I've booked in the last year from CL after final payment. Finally got my husband on a cruise ship last week - did Adventure from San Juan.

I'm re-posting the directions with cleaner formatting for myself and others, as something like this would likely need to be read on the fly by a passenger.

Thank you very much for posting them. It appears a bit more complicated than google maps shows!

-------------------------------------------------------------------

When you come through the toll plaza there are lots of choices and you have to make a quick decision as to where you are going.

For a first timer there's not time to stop and try to spot the correct little sign and I'm not sure the names of all the streets are clearly marked.

GPS is notoriously bad in this area.

- After you pay your toll you go straight across the toll plaza and get on a 2 lane ramp that goes up and curves left. This is hard to miss.

- On the ramp you stay on the right and make the first right, stay to the right and make another right.

- You will come to the light at route 440 where you will make a left, stay left, and make a left at the first light onto Goldsborough Drive.

- Route 440 is a four lane divided highway. You can only turn left at a traffic light - going south the first light is now at Goldsborough Drive.

- The left turn into the port used to be at Port Terminal Blvd (and it still is coming the other way), but they shut down that turn fairly recently and made Goldsborough Drive the main port access road coming from the north.

- Goldsborough Drive will merge with Port Terminal Blvd. You will be able to see the ship and you just follow the crowd about 2 miles out to the ship.

Are these directions still good? Thank you for taking the time to type them out!!

Are these directions still good? Thank you for taking the time to type them out!!

I lived in Bayonne for over 50 years, moved 4 years ago. When I went to the port a few weeks ago the ramp to 440 was closed. It's marked with the red stripes on the picture below. You need to bear left after the toll. It's the blue lines on the map below. There are signs. Once you are on 440 South there will be signs for the port.

You can also go straight and drive on Avenue E, the yellow line, make a left on 32nd st and another left on 440. The entrance to the port is about a block away on the right.

You can go to this website to get the updated traffic map.

http://www.njta14a.com/newtrafficpattern/

NJTA_14aTrafficShift_MapGraphichandout_102715_whiteoutlinedarrowspdf-01_zpsxhtzkd7v.jpg

Hi Carol,

Hi Ruth, You don't know me, but I met Donna on the January 15th cruise. We were both sailing solo, so we hung out together. I went to the music hall with her one night and briefly met your son. I'm on the 3/7 cruise too, hope I get to met you in person.

Gail

I see the Best Western, over by the airport, offers free parking for 10 days and a free shuttle to the pier. Thinking of driving down from Rochester and using that.

What is your exact date? How many people? What is the total cost of the package including tax?

Trinityreservations offers a package for just over $200 Tax included at the Ramada Plaza which includes parking and round trip port transportation for up to 4 people. Newark Airport is not a vacation destination - it's a highly urban industrialized area. IMO the Ramada location is better for ditching your car while on a cruise.

When we sail from Cape Liberty we always avoid the ramp and take the Ave E route. Too much traffic when taking the ramp and the road is a disaster due to all the trucks.

Which street do you make the left from Ave E 45th, 40th or do you go down to 32nd? I've always gone to 32nd it just seems easier.

I like it when the Bayonne Bridge is open, that makes it even easier for me coming from the Parkway, through Staten Island, to Bayonne.

What is your exact date? How many people? What is the total cost of the package including tax?

Trinityreservations offers a package for just over $200 Tax included at the Ramada Plaza which includes parking and round trip port transportation for up to 4 people. Newark Airport is not a vacation destination - it's a highly urban industrialized area. IMO the Ramada location is better for ditching your car while on a cruise.

Further checking, I called Best Western and they do have a shuttle service to the cruise port, but, it's a $30/person charge.

The standard room, for 10/14 would be 153.

Which street do you make the left from Ave E 45th, 40th or do you go down to 32nd? I've always gone to 32nd it just seems easier.

I like it when the Bayonne Bridge is open, that makes it even easier for me coming from the Parkway, through Staten Island, to Bayonne.

We go to 32nd. Looking at a map indicates 40th will take you in also. We also have taken 440 in further north and avoid that awful merge onto the turnpike extension by the airport.

Hi Ruth, You don't know me, but I met Donna on the January 15th cruise. We were both sailing solo, so we hung out together. I went to the music hall with her one night and briefly met your son. I'm on the 3/7 cruise too, hope I get to met you in person.

Gail

Hi Gail,

I am not on the March 7 sailing. We are just going on the ship for a few hours to visit with our son. I have sailed with Donna many times and loved hanging out with her.

Hi Gail,

I am not on the March 7 sailing. We are just going on the ship for a few hours to visit with our son. I have sailed with Donna many times and loved hanging out with her.

Me too. I'll be sailing again with her on the 4/18 cruise. Hope we get to meet some day.

Further checking, I called Best Western and they do have a shuttle service to the cruise port, but, it's a $30/person charge.

The standard room, for 10/14 would be 153.

Trinityreservations is $202 tax included for 10/14 with parking and port transportation.