CAPE LIBERTY 411 (and NYC too) Version 4!!

megr1125

I hope someone can help me. We are driving from MA and staying at either the Embassy Suites or Country Inn Suites, both in Elizabethtown, NJ). Is the road from these hotels to the port easy to get to?

Have they finished up all the road construction that was going on to get into the port from the highway? I've read from the hotel descriptions that it is easy to get to the port but not sure if that's true or not. Is it easy to get there, easy signs to follow? Should I consider leaving my vehicle at the hotel and take advantage of their shuttle?

We will have at least a 3 1/2 drive back home so I am trying to avoid hitting all the major traffic on Thanksgiving weekend when we get off the Anthem.

I've printed out the directions some have posted in previous posts but that was awhile back.

It's easy, take exit 14 for I78 and fallow signs for I78 East, cross the bridge and take the first exit 14A fallow signs for 440 South for like .5 miles or less watch for cruise terminal signs, road is on left.

Tim

It's been a couple of years since I last used this port with a Celebrity Cruise. This weekend I have friends (some physically challenged) Sailing out of Bayonne. Boarding was not an issue as the porters handled the bags. At disembarking, each individual had to handle his bags including hauling them on the bus in you seat to the terminal. Has this procedure been changed? Would there be porters available to assist?

Thanks in advance for your assistance.

It's been a couple of years since I last used this port with a Celebrity Cruise. This weekend I have friends (some physically challenged) Sailing out of Bayonne. Boarding was not an issue as the porters handled the bags. At disembarking, each individual had to handle his bags including hauling them on the bus in you seat to the terminal. Has this procedure been changed? Would there be porters available to assist?

Thanks in advance for your assistance.

The bus is no more.

When your friends get to the terminal there will be porters to take the bags. When they disembark, there will be porters in the customs area to assist. Are they going to the parking or are they being picked up by someone?

How physically challenged are they? The new terminal has a bit of walking to get onto the ship - through the terminal itself, up an escalator, and then along a walkway to the ship. If that sounds like too much, they should ask for wheelchair assistance.

Thank you, I'll keep checking this page for any updates.

Watch the signs. They are constructing so the traffic patterns get changed. Check back here before you sail for a current update.

We will be flying into Newark in November for our Anthem cruise. Our plan is to fly in, go to the hotel, drop off our luggage and then catch a train to Manhattan for the day.

I'd really appreciate some hotel options and directions for the train.

Thanks everyone.

What suggestions do you have for hotels near Cape Liberty, where we can leave our car.Would prefer less than a half hour away. Thanks

Could you better clarify what you're looking for? What is your exact date? How many days parking? What is your budget? How many people?

As I said on another thread there aren't a lot of hotels that offer parking and port transportation packages for Cape Liberty. In the Newark Airport area we recommend the Trinity Reservations package at the Ramada, Country Inns package and Embassy Suites package. Newark is a highly industrial area and you must be selective about where you choose to ditch your car.

There are lots of park/sleeps at airport hotels, but you will have to arrange your own port transportation which runs $55-65/car each way.

So you have to figure out what all the pieces will cost to make a fair comparison of your options.

:DI have a Sleep, Park & Cruise reservation (which includes Port transportation) at The Hilton Garden Inn on Staten Island in October. I read on another thread that Staten Island is not a good place to stay at this time due to Bridge closings and road construction. I see alternate routes from Staten Island to the Port so I am wondering why it would or could be a problem.

Any thoughts :confused:

:DI have a Sleep, Park & Cruise reservation (which includes Port transportation) at The Hilton Garden Inn on Staten Island in October. I read on another thread that Staten Island is not a good place to stay at this time due to Bridge closings and road construction. I see alternate routes from Staten Island to the Port so I am wondering why it would or could be a problem.

Any thoughts :confused:

Where are you coming in from? How many nights is your cruise? Under normal circumstances Staten Island is more convenient for folks coming from the south who are willing to pay the $10-15 bridge toll and perhaps saving on some turnpike toll.

If the Bayonne bridge is closed, you have to go from the Hilton Gardens on I278 west to the Goethals Bridge to Elizabeth, then go north on the turnpike taking the turnpike extension to Exit 14A. My friends from Long Island said this took them an extra 30-40 minutes. That's why it is a problem.

It all depends on where you are going when you disembark. Look at the map. Do you want to spend your time going the roundabout route back to Staten Island, picking up your car, and then hitting the road home? I live near Boston so, much as I liked the HG when I visited it, there's no way I'm going to do a park/cruise at HG when I have to drive to Boston.

Edited by 138east

Looking to stay the night of May 13,2016. There are two of us. We were thinking of driving up the day the ship leaves,and parking at the port. I realize that is $20 a day. I did see Ramada Inn has a package for $202. How far is that from the port? Thanks for your help.

Looking to stay the night of May 13,2016. There are two of us. We were thinking of driving up the day the ship leaves,and parking at the port. I realize that is $20 a day. I did see Ramada Inn has a package for $202. How far is that from the port? Thanks for your help.

The airport hotels are 10-11 miles from the port.

You're on a 7 day cruise leaving on Sat. Port parking would be $140.

Did you consider coming as far as Parsipanny, NJ the previous night and getting a less expensive hotel? You really might want to consider skipping the traffic and congestion of the Newark Airport area on a Friday night. Park at the port so you can just get on the road home when you disembark.

thanks for the info

I guess I will have to way the savings vs added travel time and frustrations. We will be coming from the Albany NY area and using I 87

The price difference is about $100 between the H garden inn and the Country Inn (or any other Decent Hotel with Park & Cruise) In Elizabeth

thanks for the info

I guess I will have to way the savings vs added travel time and frustrations. We will be coming from the Albany NY area and using I 87

The price difference is about $100 between the H garden inn and the Country Inn (or any other Decent Hotel with Park & Cruise) In Elizabeth

We are also coming from Albany area (Glenville). Yankee trails has a cruise/ride option that costs $90 pp, you get on in Rensellear and park there for free, they bring you to the port and then pick you up. We had originally booked this for our cruise but ended up cancelling and going with trinity reservations. We are on a 12 night and there are 4 of us so that worked out best.

Sent from my iPad using Forums mobile app

This is the same route we will be taking late July. 80 to 287 to 24. Are there any nice hotels on 24? Is that a safe area. From Western NY and frankly the looks of what the traffic may be like around the airport is a bit intimidating for us county folk. This would be a Saturday night as the ship leaves on Sunday. We plan on leaving car at the port. Thanks in advance!

Edited by Lizard755
added route

This is the same route we will be taking late July. 80 to 287 to 24. Are there any nice hotels on 24? Is that a safe area. From Western NY and frankly the looks of what the traffic may be like around the airport is a bit intimidating for us county folk. This would be a Saturday night as the ship leaves on Sunday. We plan on leaving car at the port. Thanks in advance!

You want to look at hotels near I287 in Parsipanny/Morristown. This is nice suburban area that is safe. You will not have to deal with the airport traffic.

My husband is bent on leaving the day of the cruise! We are from the Rochester, NY area. What is the latest you can get on the Anthem of the Sea?

Tell your husband that's crazy. If you miss the ship, you're going to have to fly to Bermuda. It's a 5+ hour drive over roads you don't drive all the time. Look at hotels in Netcong, NJ. There's a inexpensive Days Inn and Quality Inn in that area.

Cutoff time for boarding is 90 minutes before sail time.

My husband and I and another couple are departing from Bayonne on September 18 for 15 nights on Celebrity. We plan to drive up from South Carolina the night before the cruise. Any suggestions as to where to stay and leave our car?

My husband and I and another couple are departing from Bayonne on September 18 for 15 nights on Celebrity. We plan to drive up from South Carolina the night before the cruise. Any suggestions as to where to stay and leave our car?

Trinityreservations.com - Ramada Plaza - $202 tax included with 21 days parking

Yup I agree.he is being stubborn. He wants to leave at 6am. Only good thing is we are familiar with driving to NJ. Still time to change his mind.thanks 138east!!

Carol (138 east) is right. You are looking at 6+ hours driving time under perfect conditions all the way. If it is a weekday, you can forget that. I think you need to tell your husband to reconsider. You are gambling with your cruise to save one night in a hotel here in New Jersey.