CAPE LIBERTY 411 (and NYC too) Version 4!!

megr1125

We are cruising Aug 28-Sept 4, getting off ship at Cape Liberty...we are not flying back to Vegas until Sept 8. So far, we want to see 9/11 memorial, Statue of Liberty, Ellis Island, some church and cemetery I forgot name of just now. I know there is lots of stuff close together...We are planning to rent a car - just not sure how good of idea that is or if it's more hassle than it's worth. We do want to check out Atlantic Ocean/coastal areas...I did vacation in San Francisco/Bay area and did great without a car...Thoughts? TIA!

Sent from my iPad using Forums mobile app

Let's take this step by step. First things first. You need a hotel for 4 nights. What's your realistic budget? What airport are you flying out of on Sept 8? Do you have to stay in Manhattan? The reality is that wherever you stay, you are going to have to be prepared to walk and use public transit to get around - train, subway, and/or bus. This requires organizing your sightseeing by areas so you're not running all over the place. You've gotten a good start on that by identifying the sites in downtown Manhattan you want to see.

You're sailing out of Cape Liberty in Bayonne NJ (Summit?), which is not conveniently located, so you are going to have car service expenses. Are you flying in the night before? Are you flying into Newark Airport? Where are you staying?

Car is definitely out unless you do a short rental to drive down to the shore. You arrive back the Sunday of Labor Day weekend, so driving anywhere before Tues or Wed is out.

Riverview Inn in Rahway? I have no clue. To me Rahway would even less of a vacation destination than Newark. How are you going to get to and from the train station?

The parking at the Robert Treat is free and private. It is right at the hotel and is not open to the public. The hotel runs a shuttle van between the hotel, Newark Penn Station, and the airport. Newark Penn Station is a major transportation hub for NJ Transit, Amtrak, PATH, and local area bus. If you come back late and don't want to wait around for the shuttle (you have to call and arrange a pick up), you can easily get a cab to go the 6 blocks for about $6. The station is always busy in the evening. No coming in to a deserted station with nothing open and no services like waiting taxis.

I stayed at the Robert Treat precruise last year. I arrived on Amtrak around 8 pm. I called for the shuttle and waited about 20 minutes. I could have taken a cab, but I wanted to check out the shuttle. I was pleasantly surprised by the hotel. It's a full service hotel with classic charm. Rooms are updated with the expected amenities including free wifi. I thought the bed was very comfortable. I would definitely stay there again - much more appealing to me than any of the airport hotels. The next day I took the shuttle to the train station, PATH to Jersey City, the light rail to Bayonne, and got picked up by a friend in her car service.

Robert treat fully booked for our dates arrive 28 July , cruise 31 July.

Any other suggestions, a bit further out maybe? Is there anywhere to park , if we drove to Newark or Harrison station?

Robert treat fully booked for our dates arrive 28 July , cruise 31 July.

Any other suggestions, a bit further out maybe? Is there anywhere to park , if we drove to Newark or Harrison station?

What's your hotel budget? Do you have Best Western points?

Let me be sure I understand your plan. You're arriving the evening of Thursday, July 28. Sightseeing in NY Fri and Sat. Sailing from Cape Liberty on Sunday.

What's your hotel budget? Do you have Best Western points?

Let me be sure I understand your plan. You're arriving the evening of Thursday, July 28. Sightseeing in NY Fri and Sat. Sailing from Cape Liberty on Sunday.

Yes dates are correct. We have airmiles which are good for Best Western , Hampton Inn and something else whuch is more expensive. We would be ok, staying further out if there is a rail connection or somewhere to park at the station.

Yes dates are correct. We have airmiles which are good for Best Western , Hampton Inn and something else whuch is more expensive. We would be ok, staying further out if there is a rail connection or somewhere to park at the station.

OK. So your next step is to see if you can use your points at the Best Western or Hampton Inn at Newark Airport. Typically we don't recommend the Best Western, but..... Parking is free at the Best Western and $15 at the Hampton Inn.

I know you can pay to park near Newark Penn Station and Harrison and Journal Square in Jersey City. The problem is how early the parking fills up on a Friday. You should be able to find parking on a Sat. Perhaps others can share their experience.

Are you going to the Statue of Liberty? The strategy for doing that with a car is different as long as you are returning by early evening (ferry back stops running). That could be done Friday.

Quite frankly it might be easier to just pay the train fare from the airport - $26/pp round trip - rather than wander around these unfamiliar urban areas looking for parking.

OK. So your next step is to see if you can use your points at the Best Western or Hampton Inn at Newark Airport. Typically we don't recommend the Best Western, but..... Parking is free at the Best Western and $15 at the Hampton Inn.

I know you can pay to park near Newark Penn Station and Harrison and Journal Square in Jersey City. The problem is how early the parking fills up on a Friday. You should be able to find parking on a Sat. Perhaps others can share their experience.

Are you going to the Statue of Liberty? The strategy for doing that with a car is different as long as you are returning by early evening (ferry back stops running). That could be done Friday.

Quite frankly it might be easier to just pay the train fare from the airport - $26/pp round trip - rather than wander around these unfamiliar urban areas looking for parking.

Hmm ...nothing is simple.Those airport hotels don't take airmiles. What about somewhere further out or Staten Island?

Hmm ...nothing is simple.Those airport hotels don't take airmiles. What about somewhere further out or Staten Island?

How about Hampton Inn Carlstadt? You would have bus or drive/bus options from there.

You still didn't answer about going to the SOL.

Staren Island is inconvenient, but doable as long as you understand what you're getting involved with timewise.

Edited by 138east

Let's take this step by step. First things first. You need a hotel for 4 nights. What's your realistic budget? What airport are you flying out of on Sept 8? Do you have to stay in Manhattan? The reality is that wherever you stay, you are going to have to be prepared to walk and use public transit to get around - train, subway, and/or bus. This requires organizing your sightseeing by areas so you're not running all over the place. You've gotten a good start on that by identifying the sites in downtown Manhattan you want to see.

You're sailing out of Cape Liberty in Bayonne NJ (Summit?), which is not conveniently located, so you are going to have car service expenses. Are you flying in the night before? Are you flying into Newark Airport? Where are you staying?

Car is definitely out unless you do a short rental to drive down to the shore. You arrive back the Sunday of Labor Day weekend, so driving anywhere before Tues or Wed is out.

- We are flying into Newark airport on the red-eye from Vegas, and have transportation to the ship. We also fly out of Newark on Sept 8th at 2:30pm, so have ample time to get to airport. Some of my thinking for the rental car is that on Sunday, when we get off ship in morning, we can stow luggage and see a sight or two.

- Staying in Manhattan is not required, as long as we can get around - generally we would go out during the day and not really be out at night - either get dinner, bring dinner back to room, etc. My husband needs to get good rest to be on the move during the day. I would say I would like to keep it under $200/night - without a car rental I have more room for hotel. We have plenty of foodie experience in Vegas, but getting some NY bagels, pizza, etc, would also be fun. I read some posts about hotels in Staten Island having great views of Manhattan at night - but then read that you can get "stuck" there with bridges closed...

- I think it would be best for us to find lodging that is accessible to transportation - I do worry about the subway as my husband has a hard time with stairs.

- A short rental to go to the shore sounds great - we could do that on Wednesday - thanks!

How about Hampton Inn Carlstadt? You would have bus or drive/bus options from there.

You still didn't answer about going to the SOL.

Staren Island is inconvenient, but doable as long as you understand what you're getting involved with timewise.

SOL not critical as long as we get a good look from afar. What are the issues with Staten Island? We could probably time our arrival to suit on the Thursday, then need to leave v early Sunday morning? We thought of doing lower Manhatten one day and mid the other. Are there issues to using the ferry for our " commute"?

- We are flying into Newark airport on the red-eye from Vegas, and have transportation to the ship. We also fly out of Newark on Sept 8th at 2:30pm, so have ample time to get to airport. Some of my thinking for the rental car is that on Sunday, when we get off ship in morning, we can stow luggage and see a sight or two.

- Staying in Manhattan is not required, as long as we can get around - generally we would go out during the day and not really be out at night - either get dinner, bring dinner back to room, etc. My husband needs to get good rest to be on the move during the day. I would say I would like to keep it under $200/night - without a car rental I have more room for hotel. We have plenty of foodie experience in Vegas, but getting some NY bagels, pizza, etc, would also be fun. I read some posts about hotels in Staten Island having great views of Manhattan at night - but then read that you can get "stuck" there with bridges closed...

- I think it would be best for us to find lodging that is accessible to transportation - I do worry about the subway as my husband has a hard time with stairs.

- A short rental to go to the shore sounds great - we could do that on Wednesday - thanks!

Look at the Doubletree in Jersey City. $199 plus tax ($189 AAA rate). Other reasonable options would be the Marriott Courtyard and Candlewood Suites. These hotels are in the Newport area of Jersey City with PATH access to both midtown and downtown. There is a waterfront boardwalk with spectacular views of the city. You can also go to the top of the Westin and have drinks.

http://www.panynj.gov/path/maps-schedules.html

Cab from the port to the accessible light rail to Jersey City is the public transit option to get to the Jersey City hotels for $2.25/pp. http://www.njtransit.com/pdf/LightRail/sf_lr_hblr_map.pdf

Staying in NJ will substantially reduce your transport costs from the port to the hotel and from the hotel to Newark airport. You can also rent a car in Jersey City which you can't do at the port.

SOL not critical as long as we get a good look from afar. What are the issues with Staten Island? We could probably time our arrival to suit on the Thursday, then need to leave v early Sunday morning? We thought of doing lower Manhatten one day and mid the other. Are there issues to using the ferry for our " commute"?

It will probably take a half hour to get to the ferry and another half hour to get to the tip of Manhattan. That's fine for downtown, but you need to add another half hour to get anywhere in midtown. On a weekday I don't know if the parking fills up with commuters. You can probably arrange to have the hotel shuttle take you to the ferry, but you might have to take a cab back.

You might be able to arrange port transportation from the Staten Island Hampton and just leave your car there for the duration of the cruise saving you $140.

It will probably take a half hour to get to the ferry and another half hour to get to the tip of Manhattan. That's fine for downtown, but you need to add another half hour to get anywhere in midtown. On a weekday I don't know if the parking fills up with commuters. You can probably arrange to have the hotel shuttle take you to the ferry, but you might have to take a cab back.

You might be able to arrange port transportation from the Staten Island Hampton and just leave your car there for the duration of the cruise saving you $140.

Also looking at Courtyard meadowlands! which costs more points. Seems more convenient for Manhatten, but would lose the free scenic? Ferry ride. Not sure if breakfast is included.

Hampton inn does run a shuttle to and from the ferry. Breakfast included

Both include free parking.

Which is the more hassle Sunday getting to the port?

You have often mentioned delays on the Bayonne Bridge. We are departing on April 14th from Cape Liberty aboard Anthem. We are staying on Staten Island at the Hilton Garden Inn pre-cruise and will be taking the Hotel shuttle to the port. What are the delays, and will they cause us a problem?

Look at the Doubletree in Jersey City. $199 plus tax ($189 AAA rate). Other reasonable options would be the Marriott Courtyard and Candlewood Suites. These hotels are in the Newport area of Jersey City with PATH access to both midtown and downtown. There is a waterfront boardwalk with spectacular views of the city. You can also go to the top of the Westin and have drinks.

http://www.panynj.gov/path/maps-schedules.html

Cab from the port to the accessible light rail to Jersey City is the public transit option to get to the Jersey City hotels for $2.25/pp. http://www.njtransit.com/pdf/LightRail/sf_lr_hblr_map.pdf

Staying in NJ will substantially reduce your transport costs from the port to the hotel and from the hotel to Newark airport. You can also rent a car in Jersey City which you can't do at the port.

weezieweeks, Can I suggest flying in a day before your original plans, just think about it, anything can happen, flight delays, flight cancellations, flights rerouting due to weather, and coming from Vegas chances are greater Red eye or not especially flying into one of our major ports here on the North East (NJ, NY). Getting a hotel one extra night is like having insurance that you won't "miss the boat". Just trying to be helpful, I heard way to many stories.

You have often mentioned delays on the Bayonne Bridge. We are departing on April 14th from Cape Liberty aboard Anthem. We are staying on Staten Island at the Hilton Garden Inn pre-cruise and will be taking the Hotel shuttle to the port. What are the delays, and will they cause us a problem?

It appears that the Bayonne bridge will again be closed will that day. You don't really have to worry about it. The hotel shuttle will go around through NJ. They've been doing this for a long time now, so they know where they're going and how to deal with any issues.

Also looking at Courtyard meadowlands! which costs more points. Seems more convenient for Manhatten, but would lose the free scenic? Ferry ride. Not sure if breakfast is included.

Hampton inn does run a shuttle to and from the ferry. Breakfast included

Both include free parking.

Which is the more hassle Sunday getting to the port?

Sunday morning is the lowest traffic day of the week. Even if the Bayonne Bridge is closed on your sail date, I'd still rate the trips as almost even. It costs up to a $15 toll to get onto Staten Island from NJ, but no toll to get back to NJ.

Have you ever driven in the NY metro area? It's a question of balancing time, money, and stress. If it were me, I'd be staying at the Courtyard and taking the bus in and out of Manhattan. If you want to see the lights of Manhattan at night, get in your car and head towards the Lincoln Tunnel at night, but get off at the last exit and drive north on Blvd East along the Palisades. I'm sure others may have viewing suggestions as well. The Staten Island ferry still free - ride it round trip from Manhattan instead.

Pretty sure that date is wrong? Anthem is in St. Maarten that day.

Sent from my SM-G930P using Tapatalk

Pretty sure that date is wrong? Anthem is in St. Maarten that day.

Sent from my SM-G930P using Tapatalk

Their signature says May 14. Doesn't matter anyway because the hotel shuttle is transporting them and will do what's necessary to get them there.

Sunday morning is the lowest traffic day of the week. Even if the Bayonne Bridge is closed on your sail date, I'd still rate the trips as almost even. It costs up to a $15 toll to get onto Staten Island from NJ, but no toll to get back to NJ.

Have you ever driven in the NY metro area? It's a question of balancing time, money, and stress. If it were me, I'd be staying at the Courtyard and taking the bus in and out of Manhattan. If you want to see the lights of Manhattan at night, get in your car and head towards the Lincoln Tunnel at night, but get off at the last exit and drive north on Blvd East along the Palisades. I'm sure others may have viewing suggestions as well. The Staten Island ferry still free - ride it round trip from Manhattan instead.

Thx. It seems a toss up between the 2. The Courtyard uses more points and has no free breakfast, but probably easier to drive to initially and quicker to get into the City. We would def not drive into Manhatten.