CAPE LIBERTY 411 (and NYC too) Version 4!!

megr1125

What us your exact date? What time do you expect to arrive in NJ? If shopping is a priority, then you might want to come as far as Secaucus.

We will be leaving on 10/14/2016 to be on the Anthem 10/15/2016. I am traveling with three young adults (my son, his fiancé, and a friend) all of who love to shop to pass the time.

Is there a good hotel and shopping in Secaucus?

We will be leaving on 10/14/2016 to be on the Anthem 10/15/2016. I am traveling with three young adults (my son, his fiancé, and a friend) all of who love to shop to pass the time.

Is there a good hotel and shopping in Secaucus?

Rooms in Secaucus are expensive for your dates and challenge your budget. You will pay at least a $125 premium for the possibility of arriving in time for your kids to go shopping. Realistically it's an 8+ hour drive from Columbus. Add in pit stops and food stops and you're looking at at least 10 hours.

I'm seeing a Courtyard in Basking Ridge NJ which offers 2 queens for $134 plus tax and is just off I78. The King room and sofa bed configuration would allow you to add a rollaway bed if you need more separate sleeping accommodations.

Hi - we will be driving from Albany 4/17 to sail on Anthem 4/18 for 12 nights. We just booked the Ramada with trinity reservations. We are considering our options for the 17th, for the four of us (me, dh, s8,s6). The two options are 1.) drive to the hotel then figure out how to get into the city and pretty much do the hop on/off bus thing or 2.) the Yankees have a home game at 1pm. We would probably drive and park at the stadium then drive to the hotel after the game. The boys have been to the city for the Christmas show and have been to Yankee stadium and have loved both experiences.

Any input on which option makes more sense logistically would be greatly appreciated! Dh has no problem driving in the city - I will distract myself with my phone or a book or something lol.

Sent from my iPad using Forums mobile app

What's your date and what's your timeline? Are you spending one or two nights? Are you committed to Country Inns? Did you buy their cruise package?

right now we have 2 nights booked . Cruise is Sept 22, but we are thinking of taking a red eye that arrives at 8 am dropping luggage at hotel and then doing Ellis Island and Statute of Liberty and only staying one night. We do have Country Inn booked with shuttle. We plan on taking ship shuttle back to Newark airport via 911 memorial. Wondering if we went back to airport if there was a train transit that went near Liberty Park

Hi - we will be driving from Albany 4/17 to sail on Anthem 4/18 for 12 nights. We just booked the Ramada with trinity reservations. We are considering our options for the 17th, for the four of us (me, dh, s8,s6). The two options are 1.) drive to the hotel then figure out how to get into the city and pretty much do the hop on/off bus thing or 2.) the Yankees have a home game at 1pm. We would probably drive and park at the stadium then drive to the hotel after the game. The boys have been to the city for the Christmas show and have been to Yankee stadium and have loved both experiences.

Any input on which option makes more sense logistically would be greatly appreciated! Dh has no problem driving in the city - I will distract myself with my phone or a book or something lol.

Driving to the hotel first makes no economic sense. It is time consuming and you will have to pay $88 for all of you to go in and out of the city by train ($26x2 + $18x2). For that kind of money you can find someplace to park for the day in the city, particularly if DH has no problem driving in the city.

right now we have 2 nights booked . Cruise is Sept 22, but we are thinking of taking a red eye that arrives at 8 am dropping luggage at hotel and then doing Ellis Island and Statute of Liberty and only staying one night. We do have Country Inn booked with shuttle. We plan on taking ship shuttle back to Newark airport via 911 memorial. Wondering if we went back to airport if there was a train transit that went near Liberty Park

Could you clarify what you mean by "We plan on taking ship shuttle back to the airport via 911 memorial"?

It's all a function of time, money and stress. Public transit to downtown Manhattan will cost you $22/pp rt, so that's a minimum of $44. From the hotel it will involve going to the P4 Airtrain Staion via hotel shuttle, taking the free Airtrain to the Newark Airport station, taking NJ Transit one stop to Newark Penn Station, taking PATH to World Trade and walking 15-20 minutes to Battery Park/South Ferry to get the SOL ferry.

Car rentals at Newark Airport for your date are in the $40-50 range. I'd consider renting a car and driving to Liberty State Park - NJ Turnpike to exit 14B and follow the signs to the park. Tolls are $2.15-3.60 but well worth it. Parking for the SOL is $7. Luggage could be left in the trunk of your car. In the middle of the week I see no reason to prebook SOL tickets from NJ unless you want to go into the pedestal or crown.

Also visiting the 911 memorial area the same day is an option. From the SOL you can return by SOL ferry to downtown Manhattan and walk to the 911 memorial area, which is open into the early evening. To get back to Liberty State Park you take the Liberty Landing Ferry from World Financial Center to Liberty Landing where your car will be parked a short distance away. With a SOL ticket stub this is $5/pp - http://www.libertylandingferry.com. Last ferry is 7:45 or 8:45 pm.

Driving to the hotel first makes no economic sense. It is time consuming and you will have to pay $88 for all of you to go in and out of the city by train ($26x2 + $18x2). For that kind of money you can find someplace to park for the day in the city, particularly if DH has no problem driving in the city.

I thought I read that we could park the car in Jersey for $7 then take the ferry in for $7 each? I didn't realize at first that this was not round trip but after your post I went to the website and it would actually cost us $48 for all of us. You are right, taking into account time, we are better off driving into the city.

Any suggestions for a parking garage easily accessible from upstate NY? We have always taken the train in. Since we plan to do hop on hop off as long as it's on that route we are good.

Thank you!

Suzanne

I thought I read that we could park the car in Jersey for $7 then take the ferry in for $7 each? I didn't realize at first that this was not round trip but after your post I went to the website and it would actually cost us $48 for all of us. You are right, taking into account time, we are better off driving into the city.

Any suggestions for a parking garage easily accessible from upstate NY? We have always taken the train in. Since we plan to do hop on hop off as long as it's on that route we are good.

Thank you!

Suzanne

Sent from my iPad using Forums mobile app[/quote

The New Yorkers should recommend parking. I'm thinking you should come down the Henry Hudson Parkway and park near the Manhattan Cruiseport or the Intrepid and walk to the Times Square area. Where exactly does the HoHo leave from?

Sorry if this question has been already answered on one of the previous 1800 odd posts.

We disembark Celebrity Summit at Port Liberty on Sunday, May 1st. We are a party of six, four are staying with friends in Flanders, NJ, but us two are flying out of Newark airport at 5.35 pm.

We would all like to go somewhere nearby for lunch, a brunch buffet would be ideal, but we will all have luggage. We need to be on our way to EWR by 3pm, and our friends will be met by the folks from Flanders.

So we are looking for somewhere to doss down from around 10.30 till 3 near to Port Liberty and EWR.

Thank you for any suggestions.

Rooms in Secaucus are expensive for your dates and challenge your budget. You will pay at least a $125 premium for the possibility of arriving in time for your kids to go shopping. Realistically it's an 8+ hour drive from Columbus. Add in pit stops and food stops and you're looking at at least 10 hours.

I'm seeing a Courtyard in Basking Ridge NJ which offers 2 queens for $134 plus tax and is just off I78. The King room and sofa bed configuration would allow you to add a rollaway bed if you need more separate sleeping accommodations.

You are the "BOM DIG IDY" Carol... Thanks so much for your help :)

Sorry if this question has been already answered on one of the previous 1800 odd posts.

We disembark Celebrity Summit at Port Liberty on Sunday, May 1st. We are a party of six, four are staying with friends in Flanders, NJ, but us two are flying out of Newark airport at 5.35 pm.

We would all like to go somewhere nearby for lunch, a brunch buffet would be ideal, but we will all have luggage. We need to be on our way to EWR by 3pm, and our friends will be met by the folks from Flanders.

So we are looking for somewhere to doss down from around 10.30 till 3 near to Port Liberty and EWR.

Thank you for any suggestions.

Not a lot of choices. How much money do you want to spend? At a minimum you're going to have to arrange transportation to the airport for everyone and the luggage. It might be possible to get a day room at the Marriott.

Could you clarify what you mean by "We plan on taking ship shuttle back to the airport via 911 memorial"?

It's all a function of time, money and stress. Public transit to downtown Manhattan will cost you $22/pp rt, so that's a minimum of $44. From the hotel it will involve going to the P4 Airtrain Staion via hotel shuttle, taking the free Airtrain to the Newark Airport station, taking NJ Transit one stop to Newark Penn Station, taking PATH to World Trade and walking 15-20 minutes to Battery Park/South Ferry to get the SOL ferry.

Car rentals at Newark Airport for your date are in the $40-50 range. I'd consider renting a car and driving to Liberty State Park - NJ Turnpike to exit 14B and follow the signs to the park. Tolls are $2.15-3.60 but well worth it. Parking for the SOL is $7. Luggage could be left in the trunk of your car. In the middle of the week I see no reason to prebook SOL tickets from NJ unless you want to go into the pedestal or crown.

Also visiting the 911 memorial area the same day is an option. From the SOL you can return by SOL ferry to downtown Manhattan and walk to the 911 memorial area, which is open into the early evening. To get back to Liberty State Park you take the Liberty Landing Ferry from World Financial Center to Liberty Landing where your car will be parked a short distance away. With a SOL ticket stub this is $5/pp - http://www.libertylandingferry.com. Last ferry is 7:45 or 8:45 pm.

At the end of cruise there is a shore excursion that takes you to the 911 memorial and then drops you at the airport. Is there a train that leaves the airport P4 station and has a stop near ( walking distance to Liberty Park NJ)

At the end of cruise there is a shore excursion that takes you to the 911 memorial and then drops you at the airport. Is there a train that leaves the airport P4 station and has a stop near ( walking distance to Liberty Park NJ)

Unfortunately not. Here's a map of the rail system, PATH, and the airport

http://www.njtransit.com/pdf/rail/Rail_System_Map.pdf

http://www.panynj.gov/path/maps.html

http://www.panynj.gov/airports/pdf/ewr-airtrain-brochure-english.pdf

The "easiest" way to go from the airport is to take the train from the Newark Airport Station to Newark Penn Station ($8.75), path to World Trade ($2.75), and walk, cab or bus to South Ferry. This is $23/pp and would take at least an hour if not 1.5 hours each way.

There is a light rail station for Liberty State Park, but it is over a mile from the ferry. Liberty state park is also accessible from Jersey City via light rail, 4 block walk, and the Liberty Landing ferry. This's route leaves you within walking distance of the ferry.

Why are you so focused on going to the SOL from Liberty State Park? It's easy access by car (hence the suggestion to rent a car), but not easily accessible unless you are staying in a downtown Jersey City hotel.

The post cruise ships tour is fine, but you will be spending a lot of money to do something you could do on your own at your own pace if you have a full day in NY.

Let me know what you're thinking about the big picture of your trip.

We've made our reservations for the Hyatt Regency on the Hudson when we return from our Anthem cruise in April (on a Friday). I've tried to figure out how to get into Manhattan, either that afternoon or on Saturday before we drive home.

Every time I click on the Newport station of the map link you provided, I'm taken to a search site and nothing constructive.

I see there's a Newport PATH station, but it's a little further away than I thought. Do you know about how far it is from the Hyatt? Walking distance? We'll have a car, but don't want to have to drive into the city.

As always, your help is so appreciated, Carol!

We've made our reservations for the Hyatt Regency on the Hudson when we return from our Anthem cruise in April (on a Friday). I've tried to figure out how to get into Manhattan, either that afternoon or on Saturday before we drive home.

Every time I click on the Newport station of the map link you provided, I'm taken to a search site and nothing constructive.

I see there's a Newport PATH station, but it's a little further away than I thought. Do you know about how far it is from the Hyatt? Walking distance? We'll have a car, but don't want to have to drive into the city.

As always, your help is so appreciated, Carol!

Where are you going in Manhattan?

The Hyatt is right at the Exchange Place PATH station. World Trade Center is a 3 minute ride. On a Friday to get to midtown you take a Hoboken train to Newport and change to 33rd St train. On a Sat to get to midtown you would take a train to Grove St and change on the other track to a 33rd St train.

For midtown if you're not going within walking distance of 33rd St, it is often faster to go to World Trade center and pick up the particular subway line that goes to your destination.

Where are you going in Manhattan?

The Hyatt is right at the Exchange Place PATH station. World Trade Center is a 3 minute ride. On a Friday to get to midtown you take a Hoboken train to Newport and change to 33rd St train. On a Sat to get to midtown you would take a train to Grove St and change on the other track to a 33rd St train.

For midtown if you're not going within walking distance of 33rd St, it is often faster to go to World Trade center and pick up the particular subway line that goes to your destination.

Right now, we don't know where we going to go/do in Manhattan. It depends on the weather. If it's raining, we may just leave earlier on Saturday. If it's decent walking weather, we may head towards Times Square for some window shopping/people watching. My brother and SIL may meet us (they live just over the CT/NY border) to do something together.

Here's another question -- do all riders need a Metro Card? Or can we buy one to share? We live outside DC and know that all riders need a Smarttrip Card. I know DH's would be only $1.00, so if we need to get two, it's not a problem.

I'm sure it's all very easy to get around, just like here in DC (but NOT tomorrow! Metrorail is being shut down for 29 hours for inspections. Don't know what that system has so many problems). But I'm feeling like a country bumpkin going to the big city (and I've been NYC many, many times) this trip (maybe since we've never stayed in NJ before).

Here's another question -- do all riders need a Metro Card? Or can we buy one to share? We live outside DC and know that all riders need a Smarttrip Card. I know DH's would be only $1.00, so if we need to get two, it's not a problem.

One is fine if it's not an unlimited card (pay per ride, not weekly). The pay per ride also works on the path trains, while the unlimited doesn't.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums mobile app

Not a lot of choices. How much money do you want to spend? At a minimum you're going to have to arrange transportation to the airport for everyone and the luggage. It might be possible to get a day room at the Marriott.

We have opted for the Champagne Brunch Buffet at the Chart House restaurant in Weehawken, N.J. It's on the banks of the Hudson overlooking Manhattan's west side.

We have a table booked for 11.15, so hopefully we will have cleared customs and immigration in time to make that reservation. How long do those formalities usually take at Bayonne?

Our friends from Jersey are joining us and will keep our luggage in their cars and drop us off at EWR in time for our flight at 17.35.

We have opted for the Champagne Brunch Buffet at the Chart House restaurant in Weehawken, N.J. It's on the banks of the Hudson overlooking Manhattan's west side.

We have a table booked for 11.15, so hopefully we will have cleared customs and immigration in time to make that reservation. How long do those formalities usually take at Bayonne?

Our friends from Jersey are joining us and will keep our luggage in their cars and drop us off at EWR in time for our flight at 17.35.

This is the Summit's return to Bayonne after wintering in San Juan. Clearance and debark may take a little longer but everyone should be off by 9 and through customs by 10. The Chart House is no more than half an hour away from the port on a Sunday morning.

Edited by bayonnejoe

Sounds like a good plan!

Edited by 138east

I hope someone can help me. We are driving from MA and staying at either the Embassy Suites or Country Inn Suites, both in Elizabethtown, NJ). Is the road from these hotels to the port easy to get to?

Have they finished up all the road construction that was going on to get into the port from the highway? I've read from the hotel descriptions that it is easy to get to the port but not sure if that's true or not. Is it easy to get there, easy signs to follow? Should I consider leaving my vehicle at the hotel and take advantage of their shuttle?

We will have at least a 3 1/2 drive back home so I am trying to avoid hitting all the major traffic on Thanksgiving weekend when we get off the Anthem.

I've printed out the directions some have posted in previous posts but that was awhile back.

I hope someone can help me. We are driving from MA and staying at either the Embassy Suites or Country Inn Suites, both in Elizabethtown, NJ). Is the road from these hotels to the port easy to get to?

Have they finished up all the road construction that was going on to get into the port from the highway? I've read from the hotel descriptions that it is easy to get to the port but not sure if that's true or not. Is it easy to get there, easy signs to follow? Should I consider leaving my vehicle at the hotel and take advantage of their shuttle?

We will have at least a 3 1/2 drive back home so I am trying to avoid hitting all the major traffic on Thanksgiving weekend when we get off the Anthem.

I've printed out the directions some have posted in previous posts but that was awhile back.

I just drove down Mar 4-7 to go on the Anthem and stayed at Country Inns. All I had to do was get back onto the turnpike north (exit 13A) and go one exit to 14-14A-14B-14C and follow the signs to exit 14A. Exit 14A is under construction. I stayed left and followed the signs to route 440 south.

I'd park at the port if you can. The trick on Sunday morning will be getting through NYC before noon. What directions do you have? I definitely prefer the Henry Hudson, Saw Mill River Parkway, Cross County Parkway, Hutchinson River Parkway, Merritt Parkway route because of no trucks.

Coming back last week I took the Holland Tunnel and went on local streets up the west side of Manhattan to get on the Henry Hudson Parkway. This was surprisingly quick during morning rush hour, but it's not a route for everyone.

My directions from MA. (Saw these posted and was excited since its close to my house. I'll catch the Mass Pike in Millbury or Auburn.

Directions to NJ

I495 to I290 through Worcester to the Mass Pike in Auburn. Go one exit west to Sturbridge to pick up I84 west to I91 south in Hartford (Charter Oak Bridge exit). On I91 take exit 17 marked W Cross Parkway. This becomes the Merritt Parkway at Milford.

The Merritt Pkwy becomes the Hutchinson River Pkwy at the NY/CT line. From the Hutch take exit 15 in New Rochelle to get on the Cross County Pkwy. Stay in the middle left lane, which will become the left lane when the road "scrunches". This leads onto the Saw Mill River Pkwy South which becomes the Henry Hudson Pkwy at the NYC line ($5 toll - if no EZPass they will bill you in the mail and you need to pay it!). The toll is worth every penny.

You take the George Washington Bridge exit - left exit - stay in right lane to get on the ramp that up goes and around directly onto the bridge. On the bridge slide over to the middle left lane. Follow the NJ Turnpike signs. When you get on the turnpike, follow the first set of Lincoln Tunnel signs to get on the eastern spur of the turnpike, but don't get off at the actual tunnel exit. Continue on to Exit 13A

My plan is to try to park at the port even though it will cost a bit more, but figure the convenience of being so close outweighs the cost.

I haven't worked out driving back to MA yet. I figured it would just be the opposite way I came.

Thank you. I guess I'll need to watch the signs really well when we drive to the port. I don't want to drive in circles. NJ isn't known as the jersey state for nothing.