CAPE LIBERTY 411 (and NYC too) Version 4!!

megr1125

Thank you for the tips. We are also from Central PA so I guess that is the best. Also, Wildcatfish, if you have any suggestions as to what time to arrive or anything to avoid, that is appreciated too. We hope to get there early and get on right away. Hopefully won't get stuck in traffic. We are on the Anthem in May! :)

Edited by klmnh

We are going from Newark to Intercontinental Times Square for 2 nights.

We are then going from Intercontinental Times Square to Bayonne Port.

I am soooo confused on what car service to use. Every time I think I found one- I find a slew of bad reviews. I am so scared of not getting to the ship on time because the car service doesnt show up.

Anyone who knows first hand -I would appreciate any info/suggestions. We thought about renting a car - which is right next to our hotel and then driving to Newark airport to catch a taxi. Just to make sure we are not forgotten by a car service. But, then I rationally ask myself if thats really necessary.

Thanks in advance.

We are going from Newark to Intercontinental Times Square for 2 nights.

We are then going from Intercontinental Times Square to Bayonne Port.

I am soooo confused on what car service to use. Every time I think I found one- I find a slew of bad reviews. I am so scared of not getting to the ship on time because the car service doesnt show up.

Anyone who knows first hand -I would appreciate any info/suggestions. We thought about renting a car - which is right next to our hotel and then driving to Newark airport to catch a taxi. Just to make sure we are not forgotten by a car service. But, then I rationally ask myself if thats really necessary.

Thanks in advance.

We recommend Dial7 and Carmellimo all the time. They are major car services with large fleets of cars and offer online coupons. Many of our New York posters use them frequently. No one has ever come back to us and said they had a problem. That's no guarantee, but ....... it is a backwards recommendation.

I'm convinced that if things go wrong, people are quick to complain online, and if things go as expected, they don't post anything at all.

Sorry, totally new to this so I hope I am doing this correctly.

Does anyone have any suggestions for less expensive parking at Cape Liberty? Or is it better to stay in a hotel and leave the car there? We are only about 3-4 hours away.

Thanks!

We are using GREENBEE. It is off site parking. In a fenced area. They take you to the airport to catch your hotel shuttle . On the way back they pick you up at the airport and take you to your car. A little over $100.00 for 14 days.

We have used them before . The transfer back and forth to the airport and car went very smooth.

This thread is fantastic and a wealth of information! Thank you to everyone who takes the time to answer all the inquiries.

DH & I are sailing on the Summit in May. I think I've got everything figured out for pre-cruise hotel and transportation. Any recommendations on when to arrive at the terminal to avoid the longer lines - we were thinking about leaving the airport hotel about 10 AM, but is later better than earlier? (I know the staterooms won't be available before about 1:30 - Sail-Away is at 4:00.) Also, we are in a Concierge stateroom which is supposed to have "priority boarding" - does this mean there will be a special line for getting into the terminal, or do we wait with the everyone then go somewhere special once we are inside the building?

When we return (Sunday, May 29), if we want to take a private car/livery to EWR do we just go to the Taxi Dispatcher with our luggage and, presto, a car will appear or do we arrange a pick-up in advance? If done on the spot, how do you know the cost? From the port will this service be either Dial 7 or Carmel, as pricing for those two liveries was posted recently so I have that information.

Thanks in advance - Kay

This thread is fantastic and a wealth of information! Thank you to everyone who takes the time to answer all the inquiries.

DH & I are sailing on the Summit in May. I think I've got everything figured out for pre-cruise hotel and transportation. Any recommendations on when to arrive at the terminal to avoid the longer lines - we were thinking about leaving the airport hotel about 10 AM, but is later better than earlier? (I know the staterooms won't be available before about 1:30 - Sail-Away is at 4:00.) Also, we are in a Concierge stateroom which is supposed to have "priority boarding" - does this mean there will be a special line for getting into the terminal, or do we wait with the everyone then go somewhere special once we are inside the building?

When we return (Sunday, May 29), if we want to take a private car/livery to EWR do we just go to the Taxi Dispatcher with our luggage and, presto, a car will appear or do we arrange a pick-up in advance? If done on the spot, how do you know the cost? From the port will this service be either Dial 7 or Carmel, as pricing for those two liveries was posted recently so I have that information.

Thanks in advance - Kay

Leaving at 10:00 should be fine. Summit is smaller than Anthem, so not as many folks are sailing. I'm not sure if Celebrity offers a suite security line, but it sounds like they will definitely offer a special check in line.

You can pre order a car or just get one from the dispatcher. Folks have been reporting $55-65 from the dispatcher. The dispatcher service will be a random livery car that is authorized to pick up at Cape Liberty. It will not be Dial7 or Carmel. Don't overthink this. Just decide if you want a fixed pickup time or if you just want to go with the flow.

We are using GREENBEE. It is off site parking. In a fenced area. They take you to the airport to catch your hotel shuttle . On the way back they pick you up at the airport and take you to your car. A little over $100.00 for 14 days.

We have used them before . The transfer back and forth to the airport and car went very smooth.

That doesn't make much sense for someone who is cruising from Cape Liberty, because you'll also have to pay for a taxi to and from the port, which will cost $55-$65 each way.

In addition the poster really didn't need a hotel as they're only a 3 to 4 hour drive from Cape Liberty and can just drive directly to the port on the morning of their cruise.

We are considering driving from Columbus Ohio to the Cape Liberty Cruise Port. I've read a lot of recommendations about staying over night in Parsippany pre cruise. It looks like driving in via I71 to I80 is a longer trip than taking I 70 to I 78. Is this the case? is the terrain better via one route as compared to the other?

Also, where are the good shopping places in Parsippany?

Are there any recommended places to stop along the I78 route?

Thanks so much :)

Thanks.

Leaving at 10:00 should be fine. Summit is smaller than Anthem, so not as many folks are sailing. I'm not sure if Celebrity offers a suite security line, but it sounds like they will definitely offer a special check in line.

You can pre order a car or just get one from the dispatcher. Folks have been reporting $55-65 from the dispatcher. The dispatcher service will be a random livery car that is authorized to pick up at Cape Liberty. It will not be Dial7 or Carmel. Don't overthink this. Just decide if you want a fixed pickup time or if you just want to go with the flow.

MarKay525 wrote:

DH & I are sailing on the Summit in May. I think I've got everything figured out for pre-cruise hotel and transportation. Any recommendations on when to arrive at the terminal to avoid the longer lines - we were thinking about leaving the airport hotel about 10 AM, but is later better than earlier? (I know the staterooms won't be available before about 1:30 - Sail-Away is at 4:00.)

Also, we are in a Concierge stateroom which is supposed to have "priority boarding" - does this mean there will be a special line for getting into the terminal, or do we wait with the everyone then go somewhere special once we are inside the building? Kay

Edited by MarKay525

We are considering driving from Columbus Ohio to the Cape Liberty Cruise Port. I've read a lot of recommendations about staying over night in Parsippany pre cruise. It looks like driving in via I71 to I80 is a longer trip than taking I 70 to I 78. Is this the case? is the terrain better via one route as compared to the other?

Not sure about the routes from Columbus. Perhaps someone else can comment.

What kind of shopping are you looking for? Newark Airport has nothing much except an outlet mall. No place to buy wine, no drug store, limited eating options, traffic congestion, and confusing roads.

What is your hotel budget?

Coming from Columbus I would definitely suggest the I-70 to I-76 to I-78 route. It's more direct than I-80. At the I-76/I-81 interchange you will find the typical restaurants.

If you're looking for historical places to stop, a hidden gem is the National Civil War museum in Harrisburg. Not out of the way, and filled with great exhibits.

If there is something else you might be looking for, please let me know and I will be happy to point you in the right direction.

I have no idea how this area corresponds with your driving route, but in November 2014 we went to the Mall at Short Hills (we were staying at the EWR Hampton Inn). It was incredible! I thought it must have been where the Real Housewives of New Jersey might shop!! We weren't driving (we were with friends and he drove), so only know it was off I-78 someplace.

If you're looking for someplace to shop, this might be it!! We've also been to the Jersey Gardens Mall -- not even close. The Mall at Short Hills had some real restaurants, too, while Jersey Gardens had a food court.

Hi Carol,

Would you get a taxi from La Guardia into Times Square or would you book something, our plane lands around 5pm on a Wednesday

Thanks in advance,

Kevin

As unlikely as it would be for me to arrive at LGA at 5 pm, you wouldn't catch me in a taxi at rush hour watching the meter click if I could book a car service for a flat rate.

Thanks Carol

A silly question for you, is there any tolls on that particular route

It depends on the route. The 59th St Bridge is free. The Triboro (Robert F Kennedy) Bridge is $5.84-$8. I'll let the New Yorkers comment on the ins and outs of this. I think the livery will take the best route at the time traffic wise.

We are staying at the Country Inn by the airport in New Jersey.We are wondering if there is a way to go to Ellis Island and Statue of Liberty using the transit system? We were going to do this with friends with a car but they are no longer going.

Not sure about the routes from Columbus. Perhaps someone else can comment.

What kind of shopping are you looking for? Newark Airport has nothing much except an outlet mall. No place to buy wine, no drug store, limited eating options, traffic congestion, and confusing roads.

What is your hotel budget?

We (4 adults) are hoping to drive in without staying at the airport area... Maybe stop some where along I-78 pre cruise.

Looking for shopping area that can provide a place to pick up miscellaneous toiletries that we may forget to pack, and maybe some department or outlet stores in a mall type setting.

Hotel budget is $250 maximum (all 4 us in the same room)

We are staying at the Country Inn by the airport in New Jersey.We are wondering if there is a way to go to Ellis Island and Statue of Liberty using the transit system? We were going to do this with friends with a car but they are no longer going.

What's your date and what's your timeline? Are you spending one or two nights? Are you committed to Country Inns? Did you buy their cruise package?

We (4 adults) are hoping to drive in without staying at the airport area... Maybe stop some where along I-78 pre cruise.

Looking for shopping area that can provide a place to pick up miscellaneous toiletries that we may forget to pack, and maybe some department or outlet stores in a mall type setting.

Hotel budget is $250 maximum (all 4 us in the same room)

What us your exact date? What time do you expect to arrive in NJ? If shopping is a priority, then you might want to come as far as Secaucus.

Coming from Columbus I would definitely suggest the I-70 to I-76 to I-78 route. It's more direct than I-80. At the I-76/I-81 interchange you will find the typical restaurants.

If you're looking for historical places to stop, a hidden gem is the National Civil War museum in Harrisburg. Not out of the way, and filled with great exhibits.

If there is something else you might be looking for, please let me know and I will be happy to point you in the right direction.

Thanks Wildcatfish... I will definitely look into the National Civil War Museum! :)