CAPE LIBERTY 411 (and NYC too) Version 4!!

megr1125

weezieweeks, Can I suggest flying in a day before your original plans, just think about it, anything can happen, flight delays, flight cancellations, flights rerouting due to weather, and coming from Vegas chances are greater Red eye or not especially flying into one of our major ports here on the North East (NJ, NY). Getting a hotel one extra night is like having insurance that you won't "miss the boat". Just trying to be helpful, I heard way to many stories.

@Seaworthy01, Good points all around; we already booked airfare...

Sent from my iPad using Forums mobile app

How many days is your cruise?

The current disadvantage to Staten Island is that the Bayonne Bridge is frequently closed, which means any hotel shuttle has to drive back to NJ past the airport to get to Cape Liberty. That's a PITA. In addition you pay up to a $15 Toll eastbound just to get to Staten Island.

The best deal at the airport is Trinityreservations.com - Ramada Plaza - room, parking, and port shuttle for just over $200 including all taxes.

Our cruise is 14 days.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums mobile app

Trinity reservations is $202 tax included for your date - Ramada Plaza room, 21 days parking, and round trip port transportation. This hotel is right near Exit 14 of the NJ Turnpike and is one if the closest hotels to the port. This package is popular with cruisers.

If you stay on Staten Island, you pay an extra bridge toll and if the Bayonne Bridge is closed on either of your weekends, the hotel shuttle will have to go around on the turnpike and Goethals Bridge, which is a PITA.

We are driving to Cape Liberty this Friday morning. What is the optimal time to arrive? If we arrive earlier than this, can you suggest a local restaurant for breakfast? All aboard is 1:30, sail away 3:00.

Thx!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Thx. It seems a toss up between the 2. The Courtyard uses more points and has no free breakfast, but probably easier to drive to initially and quicker to get into the City. We would def not drive into Manhatten.

We booked the Coutyard Meadowlands. Now to start planning everything else.

Look at the Doubletree in Jersey City. $199 plus tax ($189 AAA rate). Other reasonable options would be the Marriott Courtyard and Candlewood Suites. These hotels are in the Newport area of Jersey City with PATH access to both midtown and downtown. There is a waterfront boardwalk with spectacular views of the city. You can also go to the top of the Westin and have drinks.

http://www.panynj.gov/path/maps-schedules.html

Cab from the port to the accessible light rail to Jersey City is the public transit option to get to the Jersey City hotels for $2.25/pp. http://www.njtransit.com/pdf/LightRail/sf_lr_hblr_map.pdf

Staying in NJ will substantially reduce your transport costs from the port to the hotel and from the hotel to Newark airport. You can also rent a car in Jersey City which you can't do at the port.

@138east - Thank you so much for the hotel recommendations in Jersey City!! We booked at Doubletree - instead of the $189/rate, we booked the NYC view via Military rate and got it for $210.00 (which does include breakfast). Now the real planning begins!

Louise and Rob

Edited by weezieweeks
fix post

@138east - Thank you so much for the hotel recommendations in Jersey City!! We booked at Doubletree - instead of the $189/rate, we booked the NYC view via Military rate and got it for $210.00 (which does include breakfast). Now the real planning begins!

Louise and Rob

That sounds great! You're getting your view! When we stayed at the Courtyard, we ended up with a partial view, which was the new Freedom Tower nicely lit up at night.

Be sure to study the PATH map to understand how the trains work on weekdays and weekends/ holidays. If you are interested in actually going out to Ellis Island/SOL, it is possible to go from Liberty State Park to the islands, back to NYC in the ferry, walk lower Manhattan, and return to NJ via PATH. Typically the crowds are much less leaving from NJ and there is less need for advance tickets for the basic trip. (We did it on the spur of the moment on a Sun in early Sep) You would take the light rail behind the hotel to Essex Street, walk to Liberty Landing ferry (http://www.libertylandingferry.com), and take the ferry across to the park where the SOL ferry is.

Hartford, CT area

When you leave depends on whether you have to drive through Hartford in the rush hour traffic! You should be taking the cars only Wilbur Cross, Merritt, Hutch, Cross County, and GW Bridge route to avoid the NYC traffic and should plan to hit the NY/CT line around 9 am. Do you have those directions?

I'm not sure what to recommend for breakfast. Coming from Boston, my go to place is Reins in Vernon, CT.

We are driving to Cape Liberty this Friday morning. What is the optimal time to arrive? If we arrive earlier than this, can you suggest a local restaurant for breakfast? All aboard is 1:30, sail away 3:00.

Thx!

Optimal time to arrive is 10:00 - 10:30 am. Definitely get there by 11:00 AM.

We live in Stamford and left our house at 8:40 AM and were at the port at 10:00 AM (pulling into the parking garage at 10:00 am after dropping off luggage). We sailed on a Monday.

I assume you wanted a breakfast place in Bayonne. I have asked this in the past and have been told there is the Broadway Diner which is about 3 miles from the cruise port.

We live in Stamford and left our house at 8:40 AM and were at the port at 10:00 AM (pulling into the parking garage at 10:00 am after dropping off luggage). We sailed on a Monday.

I assume you wanted a breakfast place in Bayonne. I have asked this in the past and have been told there is the Broadway Diner which is about 3 miles from the cruise port.

That looks interesting. It's very close to Exit 14A. Two of the 3 miles would be on the port road, so it's really close and convenient.

That looks interesting. It's very close to Exit 14A. Two of the 3 miles would be on the port road, so it's really close and convenient.

Sounds perfect, thank you!

Thx!

Try Little Food Café on Kennedy Boulevard and 10th Street. It is my favorite breakfast spot in Bayonne. Not fancy at all but really good food. It is the kind of place that would make it to Diners, Drive-ins and Dives. It is at the other end of Bayonne, but then very easy to the port from there.

Edited by bayonnejoe

Driving from Maryland, Sunday May 1 is there still construction

at Exit 14A driving to Cape Liberty? We made this drive in late August without a lot of traffic, also on a Sunday morning. How

will the traffic be in May?

Thank you for your help.

Sunrocket

Driving from Maryland, Sunday May 1 is there still construction

at Exit 14A driving to Cape Liberty? We made this drive in late August without a lot of traffic, also on a Sunday morning. How

will the traffic be in May?

Thank you for your help.

Sunrocket

Sunday mornings are usually quiet. There is construction off the exit when you go through the toll. It is rerouted through to different streets.

Here is what I posted back on March 22nd after coming home from our Anthem cruise:

There is construction as soon as you go through the toll at exit 14A. You have to take a right onto Avenue E once you go through the tolls then left on to E Centre Street then straight onto Chosin Few Way and left onto Goldsborough Drive.

Of course with constuction they could even re-route this path. We just sailed March 7 - 19 and this is they way we got to and from the New Jersey Turnpike from Cape Liberty.

If you have a smart phone download the Waze App. It will save you a lot of headaches.

Thank you for your reply. How did you like the Anthem?

Where did you park in the new garage or old parking lot?

I noticed the Anthem is sailing on April 30 from the port, does

anyone know what the the parking situation will be i.e, will there be any available parking on May 1 for the Summit.

Thanks for your help

Sunday mornings are usually quiet. There is construction off the exit when you go through the toll. It is rerouted through to different streets.

Here is what I posted back on March 22nd after coming home from our Anthem cruise: