Cunard BA charter

Csardas

Hi.

We're travelling to Rome on the 8th of October on a Cunard chartered BA flight.

Is the hold luggage transferred straight to the ship or is as normal-collect it from the carousel and take it to the coach for transfer to the ship?

Very good question Czardas as we recently flew with Cunard charter prior to joining QV in Athens. We got to carrousels and our flight was not listed, so presumed bags would be forwarded. We exited the secure side (with people in tow!!!) only to be lambasted by the Cunard staff for not collecting baggage. Had been a while since we last travelled with Cunard and then we never had to worry about baggage. Anyway major drams to get back airside!!! Maybe best to clarify but I think you will need to lump your luggage round the airport.

Hi.

We're travelling to Rome on the 8th of October on a Cunard chartered BA flight.

Is the hold luggage transferred straight to the ship or is as normal-collect it from the carousel and take it to the coach for transfer to the ship?

I would ring Cunard and get the information direct from them.

Have you checked your Voyage Personaliser ? Mine has instructions about collecting luggage and where to meet Cunard representatives.

We are on a scheduled flight so they will be different.

Apologies for the "shouting"

YOU WILL BE MET AT THE AIRPORT AFTER PASSPORT CONTROL, INSIDE THE CUSTOM AREA NEAR THE LUGGAGE BELTS FOR YOUR TRANSFER TO THE CRUISE PORT. YOU WILL BE TRANSFERED BY SHARED VEHICLE FROM AIRPORT TO PORT. YOUR TRANSFER IS VALID ON YOUR DAY OF ARRIVAL, AND IS NON-TRANSFERABLE AND NON-REFUNDABLE. SHOULD YOU REQUIRE ANY ASSISTANCE WITH YOUR TRANSFER DURING YOUR STAY, PLEASE CONTACT YOUR LOCAL REPRESENTATIVE ON 0039 340 46 66 212. PLEASE ENSURE YOUR FLIGHT DETAILS ARE COMMUNICATED TO US TO ENSURE YOU ARE MET FOR YOUR TRANSFER. IF YOU ARE ARRIVING ON A SCHEDULED FLIGHT OR HAVE MADE INDEPENDENT FLIGHT ARRANGEMENTS, YOU WILL NEED TO COLLECT YOUR LUGGAGE BEFORE LEAVING THE AIRPORT.
Edited by Host Hattie

Cunard do use BA for their charter flights from Heathrow, we were on one 3 years ago to Rome. Then we collected our cases from the carousel and handed them to Cunard staff in the baggage hall.

I think they travelled to the ship separately.

This time I was quoted the charter flight when I booked but we have been given the scheduled flight.

Cunard do use BA for their charter flights from Heathrow, we were on one 3 years ago to Rome. Then we collected our cases from the carousel and handed them to Cunard staff in the baggage hall.

I think they travelled to the ship separately.

This time I was quoted the charter flight when I booked but we have been given the scheduled flight.

We were put on a scheduled BA flight from LHR the last Cunard fly cruise we took.

It was a late booking, other earlier bookers were on charters (not BA) from local airports and generally they were not impressed :)

Whatever the case, there should be instructions on their VP

The last time we used Rome airport they lost 2 out of our 3 cases.However,what was disturbing was that when we went to complete a lost baggage form the reception said " don't bother about your case just include the contents" and then took us round the back where they had dozens of brand new cases and said "choose a couple " !!!!!!!!!! It is obviously something that happens quite regularly.

Just got back from a Cunard cruise, charter flight from Heathrow to Rome. We collected luggage from conveyor belt and went through customs, where Cunard staff took cases from us. We were then taken to coach with hand luggage only. Cases were delivered to stateroom by time we got to ship. very efficient service.

Just got back from a Cunard cruise, charter flight from Heathrow to Rome. We collected luggage from conveyor belt and went through customs, where Cunard staff took cases from us. We were then taken to coach with hand luggage only. Cases were delivered to stateroom by time we got to ship. very efficient service.

How does it work on the return journey, please?

We left our luggage outside out stateroom about 11 pm night prior to disembarkation. We were collected by coach on embarkarkation day by coach at allotted time and taken to Venice airport where our luggage was waiting for us. We checked in at check in desks directly in front of where luggage was. Easy process except no one from Cunard told us that security was upstairs, They are rebuilding at Venice airport and it's a real mess, nevertheless once told, it was upstairs to quite a long queue.

Thanks Gratter! Our VP was not explicit about how it worked with their BA charter but did state clearly that if you were on a scheduled flight or had arranged your own, that you should get your cases off the carousel etc. Doesn't sound as if there's any difference.

• 1 month later...

So we fly from T5 to Rome in a few weeks, very excited. BA Charter at 7:40 in the morning. Just wondered about peoples check in experience. Cunard says check in opens 4 hours before the flight is this accurate? I have never flown when a desk has opened more than 3 hours before. Typical catch 22 of get there early and guarantee a seat together with a chance to relax in a lounge before or risk it get an extra couple of hours in bed and be separated. If only online check in was available I would be far less stressed!

Also is it worth buying breakfast or will something be provided on the plane?

I presume by the time we get our bags, get on the coaches, travel an hour, get a full planes worth of people onboard it will be 2pm at the earliest before we can explore.

Interesting that Cunard require you to collect your bags then pass them onto someone else. My only other fly cruise experience was with P&O and our bags were checked in at Birmingham, next time we saw them was in the cabin.

Any experiences, tips and tricks would be much appreciated!

We had an 8am charter flight a few years ago, we got to the terminal at about 5.50, slightly later than we planned but it was fine. We got on board at about 2pm.

I don't think we got any food on the plane but I could be wrong.

We are on a scheduled flight this time at 7.05 !

Edited by Host Hattie

• 2 weeks later...

Cunard for many years now charters BA Boeing 767-300 262 seater jets for their Med cruises starting/ending in Venice Rome Athens and Barcelona from Heathrow.

these have BA flight numbers starting BA92xx

when they fill up, or if you ask them for specific flight times or to go the day before for instance then they will put you on BA scheduled flights from LHR or LGW usually at no supplement except if you want to upgrade to Club.

luggage allowance on the BA charters is 23kgs (you can pool allowance with companions and take more than one bag) and hand baggage on these flights is quite ''relaxed '' (no Ryanair stealth fees or Thomson 5 kgs nonsense here)

Bags are NOT usually taken direct to the ship upon arrival except sometimes at Venice due to ''bonded'' customs issues now not being available.

It used to happen but hardly now which is a shame.

Free snacks and food and free drinks on-board are offered by BA. (currently as the charterer Cunard asks for, and pays for this in their charter)

you cannot earn Avios nor use BA.com to check-in online nor use the lounges but if you are an Exec club member and if you flash your gold card you might just get access if ask nicely. but normally no.

Cunard also offer charters from other airport such as Bournemouth Manchester and Birmingham

these use Thomson airways, and Titian airways which are not so good as the BA ones and have stricter baggage rules and BOB food/drinks

seating on the BA 767's is wide body 2-3-2 and has good seat pitch

the 767's which have all been refurbed are due to go in next couple of years to the scrapyard so i guess they will use the new 787 or the A321 if they continue these long standing Cunard charters from LHR -

watch this space

Edited by rog747