Viking uninvited 50 Day maiden voyage cruisers

JVilleGal

I just came from Viking Oceans website and they have a 50 day cruise "starting at $60,000" pp, but they do have a special two for one sale running now! Additionally, shore excursions are NOT included, which as all of us know on a 50 day cruise from Istanbul, could really add up! Since that was the starting price, I think pp was pretty accurate. Didn't check to see if it include airfare, but I'm guessing it does not.

Out of curiosity I looked at the cost of the 50 day cruise on Viking Oceans web site. Saw the $60,000. price for a suite-everything else is sold out for 2016! It does say 37 guided tours so does that mean they are included? I couldn't see any list of inclusions. Oh well, we won't be booking this any time soon!

Out of curiosity I looked at the cost of the 50 day cruise on Viking Oceans web site. Saw the $60,000. price for a suite-everything else is sold out for 2016! It does say 37 guided tours so does that mean they are included? I couldn't see any list of inclusions. Oh well, we won't be booking this any time soon!

The 50 day cruise I looked at said "from $60,000 pp", I didn't actually check into availability, but assumed that was the "cheap cabin" price. When I looked at the itinerary it listed the 37 guided tours, but if you click on one of them, it gives a price. I clicked on a couple and the ones I looked at went for $60 pp and up! Their advertising is misleading at best and like you, I won't be booking with them any time soon either.

The several threads over on the Viking Oceans boards make it sound as if there is at least one included tour per port. I have not gone to their website, Viking Oceans has moved out of my sight picture, don't see them coming back into it.

Never say never!

The 50 day cruise I looked at said "from $60,000 pp", I didn't actually check into availability, but assumed that was the "cheap cabin" price. When I looked at the itinerary it listed the 37 guided tours, but if you click on one of them, it gives a price. I clicked on a couple and the ones I looked at went for $60 pp and up! Their advertising is misleading at best and like you, I won't be booking with them any time soon either.

I didn't go as far into it as you did. I agree....very misleading mentioning the number of tours. Easy for someone to think at first glance that they are included.

No one has ever accused me of being a fan of Viking, but I think there must be some misperception on the issue of shore excursions on Viking Ocean cruises. Their website clearly states: "Complimentary enriching shore excursions in each port of call, led by knowledgeable local guides". They may offer additional excursions for fees, but you can't spin this away from the need to offer at least one free excursion in each port.

Again -- having booked this ship for a 15 day cruise in 2016, there has been no confusion on my part oron the part of the many folks on the Viking Oceans website on CC. They offer one "included" tour per port--usually a walking one which seems to be just fine for all. The quoted prices of other of their offered shore excursions generally appear quite reasonable, especially when compared to other cruise lines. They do offer a couple of wild and expensive ones. My only point in commenting on this link (also followed others), is for a "buyer beware" warning as pertains to Viking in general and Viking Oceans in specific.

Unfortunately, the snubbing of the 50 day (and others) is just one of the many Viking fiascos going on. Viking Oceans is not ready for prime time. There have been non-stop hiccups with excursions, running out of water, food, no one answering the phone.There are many loyal Viking River cruisers who are this ship expected a level of service that they experienced on the river cruises and it is not happening.

No one has ever accused me of being a fan of Viking, but I think there must be some misperception on the issue of shore excursions on Viking Ocean cruises. Their website clearly states: "Complimentary enriching shore excursions in each port of call, led by knowledgeable local guides". They may offer additional excursions for fees, but you can't spin this away from the need to offer at least one free excursion in each port.

That sounds like what the "50 Day Crazies"* are reporting from the ship.

* Their term, not mine;)

That sounds like what the "50 Day Crazies"* are reporting from the ship.

* Their term, not mine;)

I think what Viking refers to as "free shore excursion in every port" is the one hour walking tour, but if you want to see anything like Ephesus or tour Istanbul, you gotta pay extra!!

Got an e-mail today from Viking with the video attached of their big Christening Hoopla--probably the same show that many of the original "50-day crazies"/paying passengers were dis-invited from.:D

You gotta admire their chutzpah!!!! :D

I think what Viking refers to as "free shore excursion in every port" is the one hour walking tour, but if you want to see anything like Ephesus or tour Istanbul, you gotta pay extra!!

So they give 37 tours, one at each stop. Basic perhaps, but what they promise. If you want all the toppings, they charge you extra. By now, when I read any cruise ads, I read it with the mindset, "how little are they giving me?"

So they give 37 tours, one at each stop. Basic perhaps, but what they promise. If you want all the toppings, they charge you extra. By now, when I read any cruise ads, I read it with the mindset, "how little are they giving me?"

Exactly!! I read an article in a travel magazine that "defined tour terms" like "see the Eiffel Tower".....means you drive by it on the bus. "Visit the Eiffel Tower"....means you get off the bus and walk around the tower. "Tour the Eiffel Tower"....you actually go into the Eiffel Tower..."Photo stop" the bus stops long enough for you to take a picture of the Eiffel Tower!! :D

Exactly!! I read an article in a travel magazine that "defined tour terms" like "see the Eiffel Tower".....means you drive by it on the bus. "Visit the Eiffel Tower"....means you get off the bus and walk around the tower. "Tour the Eiffel Tower"....you actually go into the Eiffel Tower..."Photo stop" the bus stops long enough for you to take a picture of the Eiffel Tower!! :D

At least once you know the terms you do get a clear explanation of what will be included. There's nothing shady going on, just a precise jargon in an industry. [Maybe it seems normal to me because I was a lawyer.] Another example that doing your research beforehand pays off -- which of course is why we're all here on Cruise Critic!