Do kids need a pouch to carry stuff???

jinglesmountjoy

I'm looking for something the kids can have to carry cash and stuff in. I can't see them really having much to carry other than cash and phones so it doesn't need to be big. Originally, I was thinking of something they could use while on water slides, etc but after thinking about it, I'm not sure I want them to have their phones with them while playing in water area... recipe for losing/damaging them.

So, now I'm thinking of just a small pouch they can wear for phones, cash, etc.... Is this just too much? What could 11-14 year olds really have on a cruise ship that would require a storage pouch rather than just their pockets?

Would love to hear your experiences in this area.

They will NOT need cash on the ship at all...nor, their phone! Lock those things in the safe. The ONLY thing they will need, if they are out on their own, is the ship's key card. Most boys can keep that in a pocket, although some will use a lanyard strap.

When you go ashore, they'll be WITH you....(at least, my kids would be!) and you can hold the cash. I wouldn't let them take phones ashore, either!

My wife uses a small plastic zippered bag to carry her phone. She puts this in a backpack to keep it safe from sand and water.

As others have mentioned, turn off voice and data roaming on all cell phones before you sail. This will allow your phones to connect with your service provider when in range, and will keep it from connecting to ship's satellite service while at sea. If you buy Internet package, you can turn on Wi Fi and log in one or more devices (depending on how many are allowed under the package).

We use our phones for taking photos, so have them with us at all times.

Hope this helps!

Kids that age have no need for cash or phones on the ship. They will receive a lanyard for their set sail pass. No pouch needed.

The lanyard depends on the cruise line. Bring an extra from home if they will wear it

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I'm looking for something the kids can have to carry cash and stuff in. I can't see them really having much to carry other than cash and phones so it doesn't need to be big. Originally, I was thinking of something they could use while on water slides, etc but after thinking about it, I'm not sure I want them to have their phones with them while playing in water area... recipe for losing/damaging them.

So, now I'm thinking of just a small pouch they can wear for phones, cash, etc.... Is this just too much? What could 11-14 year olds really have on a cruise ship that would require a storage pouch rather than just their pockets?

Would love to hear your experiences in this area.

11-14 year old boys need swim trunks, sunscreen and a lanyard. That's it. Especially on the Sunshine. If they are active they will live on Sport Square. Lock up the cell phones for the trip - give the brain a rest. We lock ours up too.

When we get on board, we go to guest services and make duplicate keys so we can access each others rooms if needed we have 2 rooms - one for mom and dad and one for our boys - now 11 and 17). The keys DO NOT have the room number on them,, so if lost, no big deal. Guest Services will also punch holes and onto lanyards they go. I put two command hooks up in their room - the neat young one uses it - the older is just a mess. Also, you can put money on their cards or set a spending limit - the arcade and candy shop hold appeal and it is a good way to let them learn how to manage money.

Its easy enough to find your kid on board as there are only so many places they can be and even fewer they want to be. Post it notes in the room are a good way to communicate. Just make sure you lay down the rules - I think "don't do or say anything you wouldn't do if I was watching" pretty much covers it all. And up front they know the consequence - grounding to the room for the rest of the day/night. We see them many times on the ship when they don't see us and they are always behaving themselves.

We have general rules and routines that we have gotten into. The teen is allowed to sleep in because his activities run late until the night. But, he MUST be showered and dressed in a collared shirt tucked into pants (with a belt as I do not wish to see his boxers) and at dinner at 6 pm. And he of course goes ashore with us in every port. The tween is a morning person so almost every morning we wake him for breakfast before 8 and he eats with us then heads to camp and to find his friends. He will usually find us multiple times a day, sometime to ask/tell what his plans are, often to have lunch or ask us to play putt putt etc. And he too knows to be dressed and ready to go to dinner at 6.

All in all, cruising is hands down the easiest way to travel with kids. We have done lots of US travel to cities, national parks, amusement parks etc and we always are the most relaxed after a cruise.

Have a great time.

11-14 year old boys need swim trunks, sunscreen and a lanyard. That's it. Especially on the Sunshine. If they are active they will live on Sport Square. Lock up the cell phones for the trip - give the brain a rest. We lock ours up too.

When we get on board, we go to guest services and make duplicate keys so we can access each others rooms if needed we have 2 rooms - one for mom and dad and one for our boys - now 11 and 17). The keys DO NOT have the room number on them,, so if lost, no big deal. Guest Services will also punch holes and onto lanyards they go. I put two command hooks up in their room - the neat young one uses it - the older is just a mess. Also, you can put money on their cards or set a spending limit - the arcade and candy shop hold appeal and it is a good way to let them learn how to manage money.

Its easy enough to find your kid on board as there are only so many places they can be and even fewer they want to be. Post it notes in the room are a good way to communicate. Just make sure you lay down the rules - I think "don't do or say anything you wouldn't do if I was watching" pretty much covers it all. And up front they know the consequence - grounding to the room for the rest of the day/night. We see them many times on the ship when they don't see us and they are always behaving themselves.

We have general rules and routines that we have gotten into. The teen is allowed to sleep in because his activities run late until the night. But, he MUST be showered and dressed in a collared shirt tucked into pants (with a belt as I do not wish to see his boxers) and at dinner at 6 pm. And he of course goes ashore with us in every port. The tween is a morning person so almost every morning we wake him for breakfast before 8 and he eats with us then heads to camp and to find his friends. He will usually find us multiple times a day, sometime to ask/tell what his plans are, often to have lunch or ask us to play putt putt etc. And he too knows to be dressed and ready to go to dinner at 6.

All in all, cruising is hands down the easiest way to travel with kids. We have done lots of US travel to cities, national parks, amusement parks etc and we always are the most relaxed after a cruise.

Have a great time.

This post pretty much says it all, how we cruise as a family. Give the kids their room key/seapass/whatever other lines call it and be done. No need to carry anything else on a daily basis. Of course, if they want to take pics with their phones make sure you are not using your data. Make this a once or twice thing during your trip and they are all set.

If they're allowed to use the cells onboard.....Use a picture of their ship card as the lock screen background and wallpaper of their phone. Hopefully if it's lost this will make it easier to return.

This also works for cameras.

Edited by SadieN