Kotor Port own excursion (Royal)

Hi; In Port of Kotor, we are not interested in going on any paid tours. We want to explore on our own. Does the tender dock right by the city or is it a drive away? I'm hoping that we can dock (by tender) and be only a short distance to city center to explore on our own by foot. Does anyone know anything about this port?

Hi; In Port of Kotor, we are not interested in going on any paid tours. We want to explore on our own. Does the tender dock right by the city or is it a drive away? I'm hoping that we can dock (by tender) and be only a short distance to city center to explore on our own by foot. Does anyone know anything about this port?

Yes, we stopped there earlier this year on the Majestic Princess- the tender dock is only a few minutes walking distance from the Old Town entrance. You walk across the road, over a piazza area with outdoor cafes and you are at the gate. There is also a HOHO bus that stops near the dock entrance.

Sandra

We were in Kotor on a cold and rainy day last November. Took the HOHO bus at a cost of 20 Euro. Admission to the remains of a house with mosaic floors is included and the bus waits there while you visit. The bus also stops at Perast but we did not get off there because of the weather. The rain stopped later and I walked the couple of blocks to the old town. Be aware that you may need to run a gauntlet of very pushy tour operators as you exit the port. Inside the small old town was very nice and there no high pressure anywhere.

Sent from my iPad using Forums

It's an easy walk from the port to old town.

As a slight aside if you are a hiker or a history buff-

Kotor has the ruins of an old fortress high up on the hill (you will see the stone wall as you gaze out toward Kotor from the tender). If you decide to explore and take the trail up to the fort be sure to wear good shoes as the trail gets a bit treacherous in some places due to uneven pathway and in places it is steep. There are places to stop and look out over the city as you make your climb. There was a small charge to access the trail 1 euro each I think.

We didn't make it all the way to the top when we visited because I was wearing sandals instead of tennis shoes or hikers.. Next time I will be more prepared!

We had a wonderful time walking up to the top of fort, it was a challenge but well worth it. I would definitely recommend non skid shoes for the hike, although I actually saw a older gentleman wearing dress shoes. Also bring plenty of water or bring euros for the venders along the way.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

This is an easy port to DIY. The ended takes you right to the walled town. There's plenty of shopping and cafes within the walls. For around 5 Euros pp you can climb up to the fortress. DH lovvvves that hike! Scenic views and interesting ruins up there. Have fun! We just went there for or second time, but this time we took an excursion up Mt. Lovcen, 25 hairpin turns!

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

We just docked at Kotor 3 times in three weeks. Best part of Kotor is the sail into port. Beautiful. It takes almost 2 hours to do so. Many fjords, mts and landscape. Port is easy to walk, basically the typical wall-city. Enjoy

We did the Greek Med. last year on the Royal. Kotor was unplanned for us because Turkey was cancelled so I didn't have any excursions planned. Really pretty medieval town and we tendered in. You can get lost in this little town with all the windy streets. We didn't trek up to the church because we had 2 tired teens with us so just walked around the town. I did a review on this last year and here is a link to the Kotor page with pics.

http://travlintheworld.blogspot.com/2016/09/kotor-montenegro.html