Taking items off the ship in Mexico

Dodger1055

Several of us will be traveling with our guitars on our next cruise and we will be getting off the ship in Cozumel. I was wondering if there are any restrictions about taking an item off of the ship. We want to take our guitars with us when we disembark to be able to spend some time on the beach writing. Are we allowed to do that and bring it back on board with no issues?

Several of us will be traveling with our guitars on our next cruise and we will be getting off the ship in Cozumel. I was wondering if there are any restrictions about taking an item off of the ship. We want to take our guitars with us when we disembark to be able to spend some time on the beach writing. Are we allowed to do that and bring it back on board with no issues?

Your problem may be in getting the guitars on board to begin with. You need to check with your cruise line to make sure that they will allow you to bring them with you.

Your best bet is to speak to the Purser's Office (front desk) beforehand to make sure the instruments are declared on the ship's manifest.

You never know when some jumped-up little jobsworth might appear and try and make an international smuggling incident out of your innocent beach trip!

Sent from my SM-G935F using Forums mobile app

Your best bet is to speak to the Purser's Office (front desk) beforehand to make sure the instruments are declared on the ship's manifest.

Huh?:confused:

You never know when some jumped-up little jobsworth might appear and try and make an international smuggling incident out of your innocent beach trip!

Confusing as well.

I have no idea what any of this means.

The instruments would never be put on the ship's manifest, they are passenger owned goods, just like clothes and electronic devices.

What does any of this have to do with smuggling?

I have no idea what any of this means.

The instruments would never be put on the ship's manifest, they are passenger owned goods, just like clothes and electronic devices.

What does any of this have to do with smuggling?

¿Habla inglés?

Are the guitars Gibson Hummingbirds worth $3000 each?

I was stopped from disembarking in St. Thomas, a tax-free island, trying to land six bottles of duty-free wine @ $9 a bottle, purchased the day before from another duty-free island, St. Maarten.

The wine never made it ashore, and I think a crew member guzzled it. The line reimbursed me anyway.

So, as I intimated, if you give any "official" the slightest bit of power over you they are prone to abuse it.

So, best to make a formal import declaration, or at least check with the front desk on the subject.

This is not my first rodeo!

Sent from my iPad using Forums

¿Habla inglés?

I was stopped from disembarking in St. Thomas, a tax-free island, trying to land six bottles of duty-free wine @ $9 a bottle, purchased the day before from another duty-free island, St. Maarten.

The wine never made it ashore, and I think a crew member guzzled it. The line reimbursed me anyway.

So, as I intimated, if you give any "official" the slightest bit of power over you they are prone to abuse it.

So, best to make a formal import declaration, or at least check with the front desk on the subject.

There is a big difference between bringing an alcoholic beverage off a ship and bringing a musical instrument off the ship.

If it is an expensive instrument, one simply needs it insured against theft.

cruise ship policy may ban musical instruments from being brought on board at all. you will need to make sure it can be brought on board in the first place. and they may request that you store it with security to prevent you from playing it on board, where you could disturb other passengers or horn in on the paid entertainment staff( especially if you are better than they are! :D)

I think - and I could be wrong - that some musical instruments have been put on the prohibited list. For example, sitting on your balcony and a bunch of you playing and singing all day might be glorious for you and living h*ll for the people around you. Just because you like an instrument or type of music doesn't mean the rest of your fellow cruisers do. Clearly checking with the Purser's Desk is a bad idea since you would already have to be on board before you could ask.

Start by looking up "prohibited items" on the web site. Then if the information isn't there, call Princess directly. You don't want to get to the pier and find out you have to take it back to your car (if you drove yourself) and leave it there for a week.

...Start by looking up "prohibited items" on the web site. Then if the information isn't there, call Princess directly. You don't want to get to the pier and find out you have to take it back to your car (if you drove yourself) and leave it there for a week.

If you find that it is allowed, get it in writing or print it out. I once was in an airport checking my luggage which had 2 pistols and 15 pounds of ammunition. Everything was fine except that the person at the counter said my limit was 13 pounds of ammunition. Had I been required to return 2 pounds of ammo to my vehicle I would have missed my flight. I had printed out the regulations for this particular airline at home and was able to convince the clerk that I was correct, although I'm sure she didn't like it.

cruise ship policy may ban musical instruments from being brought on board at all. you will need to make sure it can be brought on board in the first place. and they may request that you store it with security to prevent you from playing it on board, where you could disturb other passengers or horn in on the paid entertainment staff( especially if you are better than they are! :D)

And if you had been on our last ship you likely are much better than the hired musicians they had :)

You can easily check the contraband list on your cruise line's website.

My hubby brought his guitar on our last three cruises on Princess (we were being driven to port so just had to make room for the case in the vehicle). He would find a place on the ship to play it. On the Golden Princess, Skywalkers during the day was a good place -- he would make sure there weren't people reading up there. On one cruise, he sat near a lounge and even had people sit with us to listen -- and got a thumbs up from officers passing by. He's not a loud player. These were the Hawaiian cruises on which many bring their ukuleles for the uke class (or borrow one from the teacher for the duration of the cruise) so you'll see people practicing for the end-of-cruise passenger show.

¿Habla inglés?

Very well, thank you.

Maybe not your first rodeo but this post doesn't make anymore sense than your first one.