Celebrities on Seabourn

divsec

tv24 - I didn't expect anyone from the US to have heard of her; certainly none on the cruise had. She and Bobby obviously just wanted to have a quiet time (with lots of champagne), and although she smiled and said hello, one could tell she did not want to be pestered.

What was surprising that in 'real life' she was much less Scouse, much better dressed, and quite shy. She had gorgeous long legs, and lovely swimsuits too. The Blind Date persona was definitely put on to suit the rather vulgar programme.

Lincs: Yes, I am a fan. As a teenager in dull suburban Cleveland, 60s music from the UK saved my life. At night I used to dial around on my transistor radio to find special programs that featured the acts that were currently hot in the UK, but undiscovered in the US. Oh, and, did Cilla still have her bubble hair-do?

I have not - to my knowledge - sailed with any celebrities, but like Roxburgh I have a great deal of trouble recognizing many of them.

I've had more encounters with them onboard airplanes and in airline lounges however than I can count. (And those are just the ones I either recognized or had someone point out to me after I obliviously chatted with them for a couple hours as if they were a normal human being.)

I can tell you which former Sexiest Man Alive looks like he hasn't bathed in a week every time I see him. Or who was one of the funniest but also most annoying seatmates ever. Or which actress looks a couple decades younger than she is... as well as the one who looks a couple of decades older. Some of them seek attention while some actively avoid it... and many are just happy to be treated like regular folks.

On our first cruise (Pride, 1998) David Brinkley and his wife were guests. His son was a featured speaker. She was especially friendly and questioned Capt. Strom as if she were the journalist during a bridge tour!

After a cruise in 2012 I read the passenger list. There were two actors, married to each other, who had had featured roles on long-running sitcoms and both appeared in the original cast of the musical "Company". I didn't recognize them at all.

After a cruise in 2012 I read the passenger list. There were two actors, married to each other, who had had featured roles on long-running sitcoms and both appeared in the original cast of the musical "Company". I didn't recognize them at all.

I would have recognized him, but not her. His show was one of my favorites!

(I wish I could have seen them both in Company, but I was not yet born!)

One of the reasons i loved the passenger list on all cruises, great to see the mix of people onboard.

This is just a light-hearted thread for anyone who is actually interested in 'celebs'. If you were on board with someone who you actually quite admired, and felt that they would prefer the world not to know they had been there, you would feel justified in not mentioning names. Otherwise, just moderately interesting - and quite surprising sometimes that very famous, rich, people do normal cruises, like on Seabourn. I do not count the big Cunard ships on transatlantics, in Grill class, a different thing entirely to my mind. We were surprised to see Cilla Black on a Celebrity ship, on her first cruise, as she was very well off, and I would have expected her to charter a small ship, like Seadream, or the little SB ships. As I believe her friend Cliff Richard did.

One of the great joys of Seabourn for me is not constantly being pestered for Autographs or those damn mobile phone at arms length photos.

I don't want any special treatment although do find the staff constantly running around for me often going the extra mile. I often get greeted by name rather then the generic "sir".

Henry :)

On the other hand there are always one or two obnoxious pax who think they're VIPs and therefore entitled to deference and/or special treatment. They certainly don't deserve it.

Yep, we had them on our last cruise. She complained about everything and he just got drunk ....... which is what I would have done if I had been married to her.