trying something new

cowgrlkirby

Hi everyone! I am a carnival cruiser and I have been looking at a cruise with Norwegian on the Jade. What are some things that I can look forward to with trying this ship? What is different with this cruise line and carnival? Is Norwegian more strict as far as partying goes? Just trying to figure out what to expect so any and all info would be Awesome!!!! THANKS GUYS!

I have done 21 cruises (149 sea days so far) on CCL, and have 59 sea days on NCL. We now go back and forth between the 2 lines. Now that NCL offers the unlimited beverage package as a free choice, we have found there are actually more "imbibed" people on NCL than CCL!

While we have not been on the Jade yet, you will find the entertainment different, as are the food options. I swore I would never pay for a restaurant on a cruise ship - however, we did get a dining package on our first NCL cruise, and totally enjoyed the different restaurants they have to offer. (you also can get specialty dining as a free at sea choice along with the UBP.) We find the service to be good, the buffet better, etc. Many of the things on both lines are similar - but change is good!

I'm afraid I can't compare with Carnival but I was on the Jade two weeks ago and had an excellent time. There were a whole range of activities, including plenty of partying (not that I went).

The food was excellent in both the free and paid for restaurants; the crew were extremely friendly and keen to make sure you had a good time; and there was just generally a good atmosphere.

My only recommendation would be to check what is and isn't included in the fare. Norwegian is generally is cheaper in terms of basic fare, but charges for a few more things that might be 'included' elsewhere, but are of course simply reflected in the higher base cruise fare of the other lines. Sometimes that takes cruisers from other lines by surprise and gives them a mistakenly poor impression of NCL.

I wouldn't think you'd be disappointed.

They are more similar than different. We found the crowds to he similar. At 1st, I didnt think that I would like freestyle dining. I have always liked the experience of having the same wait staff for the whole cruise. Bit freestyle was awesome. No waits, and I found it easy to make my show times without having to feel rushed through dinner

Sent from my XT1585 using Tapatalk

I'm afraid I can't compare with Carnival but I was on the Jade two weeks ago and had an excellent time. There were a whole range of activities, including plenty of partying (not that I went).

The food was excellent in both the free and paid for restaurants; the crew were extremely friendly and keen to make sure you had a good time; and there was just generally a good atmosphere.

My only recommendation would be to check what is and isn't included in the fare. Norwegian is generally is cheaper in terms of basic fare, but charges for a few more things that might be 'included' elsewhere, but are of course simply reflected in the higher base cruise fare of the other lines. Sometimes that takes cruisers from other lines by surprise and gives them a mistakenly poor impression of NCL.

I wouldn't think you'd be disappointed.

So Carnival has a higher base fare for their cruises because more is offered free?

I have not found that to be the case in most instances that I have been shopping prices and cruises.

Bill

So Carnival has a higher base fare for their cruises because more is offered free?

I have not found that to be the case in most instances that I have been shopping prices and cruises.

Bill

Lucky you. I have, and so have others from comments on the forums. It's not a massive difference, because there are more similarities than not, but it is there.

Hi everyone! I am a carnival cruiser and I have been looking at a cruise with Norwegian on the Jade. What are some things that I can look forward to with trying this ship? What is different with this cruise line and carnival? Is Norwegian more strict as far as partying goes? Just trying to figure out what to expect so any and all info would be Awesome!!!! THANKS GUYS!

When are you looking to go? Jade is set for a large drydock in the Spring which will change the Hawaiian decor.

The cruise we are looking at is the last week of April. Do you know when it will be going into drydock? We have done sailings after drydock on Carnival and sometimes its great and others were like...man, where is my toilet paper holder...lol

I love the Jade. There is an aft section of the buffet outside called The Great Outdoors. Wonderful place to sit, relax, eat, people watch. There is a bar too.

NCL's dressier night is completely optional.

No assigned dining at all, so no part of dining rooms is reserved for that.

Not sure what you're asking when you ask about partying.

The cruise we are looking at is the last week of April. Do you know when it will be going into drydock? We have done sailings after drydock on Carnival and sometimes its great and others were like...man, where is my toilet paper holder...lol

Drydock is in mid-March so your cruise is not the first one after drydock.

I love the Jade. There is an aft section of the buffet outside called The Great Outdoors. Wonderful place to sit, relax, eat, people watch. There is a bar too.

NCL's dressier night is completely optional.

No assigned dining at all, so no part of dining rooms is reserved for that.

Not sure what you're asking when you ask about partying.

Well, like deck parties and stuff like that. I have heard that Norwegian ships can be pretty lively and we are good with that. Not saying that we want to deal with drunks all over the place but we don't mind people having a good time either. Its a vacation and we want to have a great time...but hey, anything beats work:D

I find the two lines very similar. I've only been on the Star for NCL, but in 34 days I'll try the EPIC, a mega-ship. Looks like it will be fun.

I've cruised with both lines. These are my opinions:

NCL evening entertainment is way better than CCL and the entertainment staff more fun. Since you asked, they do seem to have a lot of theme deck parties on the larger ships, don't know about the Jade.

NCL senior officers are more visible and more approachable than CCL

NCL ships are nicer and have more food options, including the complimentary food.

My grandkids prefer NCL kids clubs over CCL. If it matters to you, NCL has a curfew for kids, think it is 1pm.

NCL's post cruise customer service sucks, but I cannot compare that with CCL as I never needed to contact CCL post cruise.

Hope that helps.

Edited by Freckles_51