Crystal Cruises Delays Launch of Its Two New River Ships

LauraS

We were caught in this situation and heard about it from our TA on St. Patrick's Day. A year of planning and numerous hotel, air, livery, tours and theater tickets all rendered unusable. We are and we're disappointed big time. They have offered to reimburse cancellation fees, a free cruise and depending on circumstances a credit toward another cruise in 2018.

Thinking back the launches of two other river vessels were also delayed. The promised launching of the Endeavor has been delayed as have the ocean liners. Crystal has always been, until recently, about under promising and then overdelivering. Seems like the order of things of late suggests too much over promising and more underdelivering.

Sad. We hope for a turn around and soon.

Shouldn't this thread be in the River Cruising area as no other posts on river cruises are allowed in the Crystal Cruises forum?

I too feel sorry for all those impacted by these delays - given they are relatively close in terms of timing I'm sure there are many who have made plans for land and air based around these cruises

Shouldn't this thread be in the River Cruising area as no other posts on river cruises are allowed in the Crystal Cruises forum?

I just noticed that this story isn't a sticky on the River Cruises forum - it's mentioned in some of the posts but maybe it should be a sticky over there

I'd be delighted to change that but do not know how to do so. Sorry.

Rocky and Dave - it's not something you can do - it was addressed to Cruise Critic staff who can add stickys

Sorry to hear of the impact that it's had on your holiday plans - it must be so frustrating at this relatively late stage

One of the comments in the article indicates that the 'free cruise' must be taken in 2017. If so, that's a pretty short window ...

That's on a number of cruises that are already heavily booked (including with those who were displaced from the cancelled Crystal Symphony cruises) - the free cruise offer includes 2017 sailings on River, Yacht and Ocean lines. Of course there are other considerations like air and land bookings availability as well - but that's not Crystals problem is it - they just create the problem...and try and buy their way out of it

are those replacement cruises heavily book? Or is Crystal trying (not saying they are delaying on purpose) to fill up cruises that aren't heavily booked. Several folks here have mentioned and I agree - not booking the future until we know exactly what changes are coming to the ocean ships.

One of the comments in the article indicates that the 'free cruise' must be taken in 2017. If so, that's a pretty short window ...

Most everyone we know at home makes vacation plans three to six months in advance.

There is still nine moths to go in the year.

Crystal really didn't need to provide a free cruise but it was the right way to go.

If some people leave it on the table so be it but I suspect most people will not. :)

Keith

Most everyone we know at home makes vacation plans three to six months in advance.

Most everyone we know at home makes vacation plans more than six months in advance. I'd wager to say that most here on CC are the same.

Now, perhaps for short weekend jaunts, it's a shorter time frame. But when there are tens of thousands of dollars being expended, the time frame becomes more extended.

Of course, your "at home" neighborhood may have lots of folks who have thousands to drop on short notice. Maybe that's the 1% target that Crystal wants.

But then, whatever. To reverse the words of Buffalo Springfield: "Nobody's wrong if everybody's right"

Most everyone we know at home makes vacation plans more than six months in advance. I'd wager to say that most here on CC are the same.

Now, perhaps for short weekend jaunts, it's a shorter time frame. But when there are tens of thousands of dollars being expended, the time frame becomes more extended.

Of course, your "at home" neighborhood may have lots of folks who have thousands to drop on short notice. Maybe that's the 1% target that Crystal wants.

But then, whatever. To reverse the words of Buffalo Springfield: "Nobody's wrong if everybody's right"

Absolutely people make plans more than 3-6 months in advance. I know we do especially planning for tax season and family affairs I.e. weddings, business etc.

We plan our travels over a year out and put deposits down and book air. We are going back to Africa over the holiday season with our TA and most properties have non-refundable deposits and the only way to cover this is with travel insurance.

Crystal did the right thing or this would be a PR mess and a blemish on the line.

Most people I know don't.

In fact, some of us where we live talked about that today.

And we used to not book things too far in advance.

But either way nine months was very fair in my option.

But we can agree to disagree.

Won't be the first time nor the last. :)

I also know some people who are not happy unless they find fault in most things. Seems to be very typical of late.

Oh well.

Keith

Keith, I know you book over a year out on Crysta cruises and you have stated so here with your future cruises and river cruises.:rolleyes:

Miles yes I often book way out but that is not typical of most people we know.

Most people we know have a much shorter window :)

Is there really a right answer to this?

When I tell my coworkers that I'm working on my 2018 vacation, they look at me like they hadn't even realized there was going to be a 2018, let alone that the calendars in Outlook go out that far without some special patch from Microsoft.

As best as I can plot the stereotypes, younger people plan vacations in 6 months or less, middle aged people and younger seniors plan six months to 2 years out, and older seniors plan closer in again. There seems to be some kind of bell curve here.

Most of the people I know under the age of 40 (and especially 35) who have no problem spending Crystal-esque amounts of money on a vacation, do most of their planning in the 3-6 month timeframe. I'd call that quite normal in certain demographics these days -- especially ones that Crystal would like to tap into better.

Vince

Most people we know know do the opposite and plan way in advance as many people here do on this board.

The shorter bookings will most likely not get you your preferred stateroom or suite especially in the six month or shorter window and penalty's come into effect. Your small sampling of friends are not what experienced cruisers do on luxury lines for sure. Most people we met on our recent cruise were booking one to two years out. Segments of the upcoming WC are sold out. Of course one can still book on the NWP cruise which is not selling as well as last year.:cool: