does it matter what cabin someone sleeps in?

CanuckonaBoat

This is the situation:

• We are considering booking my 3 year old in a room with my mother.

• My husband and I will be booked in another room with our 1 year old.

• We are not sure my daughter will be willing to actually sleep in her grandmother's room.

Is there a problem if she wants to sleep in our cabin even though she is registered in my mother's cabin?

What other implications/impacts are there if my daughter is registered in my mother's cabin?

It doesn't matter where anyone sleeps. Don't worry about that. However to take your daughter on and off the ship you will have to sign a form at the pursers desk or print it with your docs and sign. Minors can only get on and off the ship with the adult registered in their room.

Even if your cabins are next to each other or directly across the hall, they MAY not be at the same muster station. For the drill, she must go and line up with grandma. You will likely be at the same station, but they must draw the dividing line somewhere.

Yes, there is a form you'll have to sign in order to take your daughter off the ship--policy is that a minor can only leave with an adult who is in their cabin unless the form is signed (minor detail, but must happen). You can easily set it up so that any of the adults can pick up the kids from programming--that's just a matter of authorizing it with the CMs when doing the registration/band pick up.

No one cares who sleeps where. They only care who is booked where. And if grandma is a solo, it will save serious money to book the oldest child in her room!

If you book your husband with your mother....no problems, they will issue him a "blank" key that will only open the door to your room (not good for getting on or off the ship). He'll use the KTTW that he gets at registration to get on and off the ship and for charging.

I agree with the previous poster that advises you to put your husband in your mother's room and leave the kids officially in your room. Disney doesn't care who sleeps where, BUT if there was an emergency, you want it to be clear that the kids are with you. You can also officially change your spouses cabin once on board with no change in pricing. We have done this many times as my mom cruises as a solo and we are a cabin of 3. We just pay her for what our son would cost in our room. My son and I are always in the same cabin, and my mother and husband are scheduled in the same cabin. After the muster drill, guest services will change it for you.

Thank you! I'm glad I asked. i should have known that we couldn't be the only ones in this situation. I will advise TA to book husband and my mother together. Then switch on board.

if anyone else has any advice - please let me know.

Disney does a cabin check every night!! Lol

Sent from my SCH-R970 using Tapatalk

At midnight...so be there!

But seriously, one other thing to consider with cabin manipulations is that they work fine if no one has a change of plans....but what if grandma has to pull out of the cruise after the penalty date? Depending on the date that it occurs and whether or not you have travel insurance (which should cover any financial issues), this can make a huge mess. Even before the penalty date, you may or may not be able to move the 4th person to your cabin--you must have a 4 person cabin AND room at the muster station. After the penalty date, you'll have 2 cabins; it is just a financial issue. Most travel insurances (private) will cover the additional cost of a single supplement if one person is unable to travel for a covered reason. And many will provide a child's policy at no cost for each purchased parent or grandparent policy.

Just something else to think about.

Edited by moki'smommy

AND room at the muster station.

Muster stations should be assigned by cabin maximum occupancy not based on the number of booked passengers. I couldn't imagine the nightmare of having to determine every cruise which passengers go to which muster station, not to mention the chore or replacing signage for passengers to follow. So the issue would only be if the cabin they were assigned could fit the additional passenger(s).

Muster stations should be assigned by cabin maximum occupancy not based on the number of booked passengers. I couldn't imagine the nightmare of having to determine every cruise which passengers go to which muster station, not to mention the chore or replacing signage for passengers to follow. So the issue would only be if the cabin they were assigned could fit the additional passenger(s).

Unlike other cruise lines, DCL ships have more rooms that hold over 2 people. If they filled every bed on the ship, the occupancy would be more than the max they try to have onboard on any given cruise.

They have more rooms with larger capacities as it allows more flexibility for families booking.

The muster stations are the same from cruise to cruise. Because rooms XXXX to YYYY will always go to muster station 22(or whatever). Once the max number (of lifeboat numbers) has been reached during the reservation process in the rooms assigned to that boat, it will lock out any attempted reservations to book a room that will put the lifeboat over the max allowed in it.

That's why, at some point, some categories will only allow 2 (or 3) person reservations in a room that might hold 4 or 5. To spread out the numbers, so that all rooms will be reserved, but not necessarily with the max number of people based on the beds in each room.

I very well could be wrong but this is my understanding.

Lifeboat regulations are very strict and ensure that the vessel has enough boats and rafts for 125% of the maximum carrying capacity of the ship. This maximum capacity would be determined based on the number of physical passenger berths and would not be up to the ships to arbitrarily decide. Since each cabin is assigned a muster station it would make sense that the muster station is required to accommodate the maximum number of passengers in that cabin regardless of how the cruise line chooses to fill the space. While the ships will obviously never fill every berth in every cabin it is still a requirement based on regulation to be able to accommodate that number of people.

It's an interesting discussion, sorry if it hijacked the OPs thread.

The muster station/lifeboat assignments remain constant based on cabin number. They do not vary from one cruise to the next. BUT the number of people in those cabins will vary--we have often cruised with 2 people in a cabin that will hold 4. But a muster station can "fill" because a large number of cabins have 4 people booked. At that point, they will not allow any more people to book cabins and/or add people in that section.

Example (yes, I know these are not real cabin numbers)...Cabins 1-25 go to muster station A. This station is designated for 90 guests + the crew that works that station. DCL books 15 cabins with 4 guests each (60 people) and 10 cabins with 3 guests each. This fills the muster station. If someone calls and wants to add a 4th person to their cabin, they will have to change rooms (if available) or be told no. Next cruise, they fill 15 cabins with 4 guests, 6 cabins with people, and 4 cabins with 2. Now, a cabin that sleeps 4 but only has 3 booked could add the 4th person.

Yes, the ship overall is required to significantly exceed the number of people on board. But the station designations can and do fill up based on number of guests in each cabin. This is far less of a problem on lines where the typical cabin holds only 2 guests.

The muster station/lifeboat assignments remain constant based on cabin number. They do not vary from one cruise to the next. BUT the number of people in those cabins will vary--we have often cruised with 2 people in a cabin that will hold 4. But a muster station can "fill" because a large number of cabins have 4 people booked. At that point' date=' they will not allow any more people to book cabins and/or add people in that section.

Example (yes, I know these are not real cabin numbers)...Cabins 1-25 go to muster station A. This station is designated for 90 guests + the crew that works that station. DCL books 15 cabins with 4 guests each (60 people) and 10 cabins with 3 guests each. This fills the muster station. If someone calls and wants to add a 4th person to their cabin, they will have to change rooms (if available) or be told no. Next cruise, they fill 15 cabins with 4 guests, 6 cabins with people, and 4 cabins with 2. Now, a cabin that sleeps 4 but only has 3 booked could add the 4th person.

Yes, the ship overall is required to significantly exceed the number of people on board. But the station designations can and do fill up based on number of guests in each cabin. This is far less of a problem on lines where the typical cabin holds only 2 guests.[/quote']

I understand what you are saying based on how DCL books their cruises. The fact remains that the ship is required by law to be able to muster the maximum number of passengers the ship can hold, not book. Where would all those extra passengers go if by your assessment they cannot fit into the muster station their stateroom is assigned?

I also sincerely hope you don't take these posts as being antagonistic, as they are not intended to be that, but more of an educated discussion.

I understand what you are saying based on how DCL books their cruises. The fact remains that the ship is required by law to be able to muster the maximum number of passengers the ship can hold, not book. Where would all those extra passengers go if by your assessment they cannot fit into the muster station their stateroom is assigned?

I also sincerely hope you don't take these posts as being antagonistic, as they are not intended to be that, but more of an educated discussion.

Into that extra 25% lifeboat space that's required. That's if their assigned muster station has no access to their lifeboat.

They don't assign more people to a muster station than the lifeboat will accommodate, as far as I know.

That's why, sometimes, you can't book 4 people into a 4 person room. They only fill the rooms based on the occupancy of the lifeboat for that room.

I very well could be wrong but this is my understanding.

Lifeboat regulations are very strict and ensure that the vessel has enough boats and rafts for 125% of the maximum carrying capacity of the ship. This maximum capacity would be determined based on the number of physical passenger berths and would not be up to the ships to arbitrarily decide. Since each cabin is assigned a muster station it would make sense that the muster station is required to accommodate the maximum number of passengers in that cabin regardless of how the cruise line chooses to fill the space. While the ships will obviously never fill every berth in every cabin it is still a requirement based on regulation to be able to accommodate that number of people.

It's an interesting discussion, sorry if it hijacked the OPs thread.

Sorry, but the information you have provided is right, but your own understanding and interpretation is wrong.

IMO law states that a passenger ship must carry

Modern passenger ships engaged on international voyages, which are not short must carry partially or totally enclosed lifeboats on each side to accommodate not less than 50% of the total number of persons on board (in other words, the two sides together must equal at least 100%. Some lifeboats can be substituted by liferafts. In addition, inflatable or rigid liferafts to accommodate at least 25% of the total number of persons on board. Sufficient lifeboats and life rafts of such capacity as to accommodate 125% of the total number of people on board.

in addition to that

Passenger ships on short international voyages must carry partially or totally enclosed lifeboats for at least 30% of persons on board, plus inflatable or rigid liferafts to make a total capacity of 100% with the lifeboats. In addition, they must carry inflatable or rigid lifeboats for 25% of total number of persons on board.

It does not make reference to the number of berths aboard, only number of persons. Your assumption that "maximum capacity would be determined based on the number of physical passenger berths" is incorrect. It is based upon the number of spaces that the assigned berth's have within it's designated life saving vessel.

That is not max occupancy of the berths.

Ships or cruise lines also do not "arbitrarily decide" how many passengers are allowed. That is designed in before the ship is built. The ship is designed for a max number of passengers, along with muster stations or emergency stations that are then agreed with the regulatory authorities such as the ships classification society, insurers and the IMO that they meet the regulatory standards, so that not only can that many people be evacuated into life saving vessels (that may include liferafts as well as lifeboats on some lines!), that also the muster/emergency stations are situated in appropriate places to allow those aboard to evacuate the vessel within strictly determined times.

The reg's state that the ship must have sufficient lifeboats and liferafts for 125% of ALL of those aboard. That includes the crew not manning the lifeboats, so in the case of the Magic, max 2400 Guests, plus 950-975 crew.

Capt_BJ provided some information and a link here:

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showpost.php?p=46393904&postcount=32

ex techie

Edited by Ex techie

Where are you reading this?

You cannot book more Guests into a stateroom than the given max occupancy of that Staterooms combined that are assigned to a emergency station.

ex techie

Where are you reading this?

You cannot book more Guests into a stateroom than the given max occupancy of that Staterooms combined that are assigned to a emergency station.

ex techie

The Disney Dream for example has a maximum passenger capacity of 4,000. In addition it has about 1,400 crew for a total of 5,400 people on board at maximum capacity. The number of passengers should be based on the total number of berths per cabin. Thus a cabin that has the capacity to sleep 4 people would have all 4 count towards the total number of maximum passengers. As cabins are assigned to a muster station that station would have to accommodate all 4 berths in that cabin. By law they need to accommodate 25% more people than the maximum number of passengers and crew, 6,750 people in life boats and rafts (5,400 x 1.25). Unless I have read something wrong somewhere.

It was stated earlier that Disney will often not let you book a 4th person in a stateroom for example even though there is a berth for them. My point was that Disney still needs to account for that 4th berth in the muster station even if it wasn't booked. Again, unless I have read something wrong.

The Disney Dream for example has a maximum passenger capacity of 4,000. In addition it has about 1,400 crew for a total of 5,400 people on board at maximum capacity. The number of passengers should be based on the total number of berths per cabin. Thus a cabin that has the capacity to sleep 4 people would have all 4 count towards the total number of maximum passengers. As cabins are assigned to a muster station that station would have to accommodate all 4 berths in that cabin. By law they need to accommodate 25% more people than the maximum number of passengers and crew, 6,750 people in life boats and rafts (5,400 x 1.25). Unless I have read something wrong somewhere.

Well, they don't base their maximum number for life boat occupancy on EACH room. It's cumulative.

As described by moki'smommy - for a group of rooms the lifeboat occupancy is XX.

The fact that they have 4 beds in each of those rooms doesn't mean that's the maximum total for the lifeboat. It only means there's more flexibility in filling the rooms. Once the maximum number for a group of rooms is met, then they can't put anymore people in any of those rooms, regardless of the fact that there may be an empty bed in there.

I don't read anywhere that the maximum number of passengers onboard has to match the total number of beds onboard.

It was stated earlier that Disney will often not let you book a 4th person in a stateroom for example even though there is a berth for them. My point was that Disney still needs to account for that 4th berth in the muster station even if it wasn't booked. Again, unless I have read something wrong.

I believe they only have to account for the number of bodies onboard, not the number of beds.

Well, they don't base their maximum number for life boat occupancy on EACH room. It's cumulative.

As described by moki'smommy - for a group of rooms the lifeboat occupancy is XX.

The fact that they have 4 beds in each of those rooms doesn't mean that's the maximum total for the lifeboat. It only means there's more flexibility in filling the rooms. Once the maximum number for a group of rooms is met, then they can't put anymore people in any of those rooms, regardless of the fact that there may be an empty bed in there.

I don't read anywhere that the maximum number of passengers onboard has to match the total number of beds onboard.

That makes sense, so then every stateroom can sleep more than 2 no matter the class of cabin? The Dream has 1,250 staterooms but a max capacity of 4,000.

You are reading it wrong!

The maximum number of berths does NOT equal the maximum capacity of the ship.

Say a designation of 40 Staterooms are assigned to emergency station B, that emergency station and it's corresponding lifeboat may have a total of 180 people.

Those 40 Staterooms MAY be able to accommodate people at 5 people per Stateroom so 200 people. Therefore there are 20 places in that lifeboat that cannot be filled, so DCL will not sell 20 places in that group of Staterooms even though there could be 20 more beds filled, they have met their maximum amount of people for that lifeboat or emergency station in their allowed and allowed count.

You keep saying "The number of passengers should be based on the total number of berths per cabin.

But that isn't how it works!

There is not a space for every person that "could" have a berth, there IS a space for everyone booked or employed aboard.

I hope that explains it better to you :)

ex techie