NYC Hotel

paphoslady

Thinking of booking the New York and Canada cruise on QM2 in September 2017. I have never stayed in New York, usually just passed through one of the airports. Any recommendations for good hotels pre-cruise would be much appreciated and realistically how many nights would we need to stay before the cruise so that we can see the main tourist attractions?

Thanks in advance.

Difficult to give advise for hotels in NYC without knowing your basic price points as hotels range from $150 - $1,000 a night sometimes with little difference in quality. Location is a prime consideration.

As you will want to leave the hotel for the pier in Red Hook Brooklyn by 11 am to arrive at noon on sail day, you will need at least one full day before sailing to get a small taste of the city. Two or three days would be more ideal but can be pricey.

I like to come into the city the day before, catch an opera at the Metropolitan the evening before and then breakfast at Norma's in the Parker Meridian Hotel the morning of sailing. But then I used to work in Manhattan so I have seen it all.

I stay at Club Quarters right off of Fifth Ave in the low 40's for around $280 a night plus the usual New York city and State taxes which come in at around 28% extra.

For a one day tour, I would do the double decker bus ride as it gives you a sense of the main part of the city. If you are up to a walk, then start around 32 st on Fifth ave. walk all the way up town to the park, Lots of great window shopping, plus both St Patrick's and St Thomas church, then walk over to Madison Ave and walk back downtown, Tons of smaller very upscale shops and galleries.

Then there is the Free Staten Island Ferry ride from lower

Edited by Lakesregion

Many thanks that's very helpful. I do not know New York at all, so it will be good fun to visit to take in some of the sights.

I've seen quite a few hotels in Brooklyn that I like but don't know how easy it is to travel around in New York?

I'm thinking of 2-3 days. Is it easy just to pick up a cab at the airport to the hotel?

We have stayed in NYC quite a few times & have stayed in various hotels. The Waldorf Astoria is a beautiful historic hotel, but a 15 minute walk to Times Square. The last few times we have stayed at the Marriott Marquis bang in the middle of Times Square. We love it there as you are in the centre of everything. NYC is the perfect place to walk, the on/off buses are excellent, cabs are good & the Subway is fantastic. Enjoy!

Hi,

I regularly visit New York City and usually stay in the midtown area. From this location, it is possible to walk to many different interesting areas (Times Square, Rockefeller Center, Fifth Avenue shopping, Central Park, etc.). Last April, I stayed at the Marriott Marquis prior to a transatlantic crossing on the Queen Victoria. I also have stayed at the Waldorf Astoria several different times. Both hotels are very nice with excellent locations. I suggest spending two or three nights in New York City so that you can see the highlights. Also, I recommend attending some Broadway shows. You can purchase same-day discounted tickets in Times Square at the TKTS booth.

Chuck

I'll start by saying we've not been to NYC yet, but have booked 3 nights prior to our voyage in July.

We found The Peninsula ticked a lot of boxes for us and they also do great deals. We took advantage of their '3 nights for the price of 2' offer, which considering the cost per night, is a huge saving!

We needed a suite as we're traveling with our son, and found they offered good value for the square footage and having a separate bedroom. No view to speak of though. That said, they have an amazing roof top bar to soak up the views :D

There are literally hundreds of hotels in New York City.

First off, what do you want to see? Broadway, The Empire State Building, the Met, MoMA, Macys....? Chances are you'll want to be in Manhattan, and probably midtown (You'll notice most of Manhattan is a grid. Midtown is roughly 30th - 59th St.) You'll probably be using the subways to get around, so you may wish to be near the Times Square, Penn Station or Grand Central stations.

Broadway theaters are in Times Square (42nd-54th).

Most art museums are across from Central Park on the East end (53rd - 89th)

Big Time shopping is on Fifth Avenue and Madison

9/11 Memorial is downtown near Wall St. (mostly dead at night).

I'd use that info to help narrow down your hotel options.

For transportation, yes you can take a cab. On previous sailings 7-8 years ago they were hard to come by, but reports are that's no longer the case. Personally, we use a car service. They are highly competitive in NY. We use Dial7.com. Unfortunately - although there are sights around all the boroughs of NY, the Red Hook pier area is isolated and not where you'd want to spend much time.

So many news articles about bedbugs at the Waldorf-Astoria in the last six years! NYC has had extensive problems with the pests… Google the subject.

There is a website where bedbug status of different hotels can be checked: bedbugregistry.com Maybe best to check this website before booking any hotel in NYC.

Jimmybean

Another informative website http://www.bedbugs.org/new-york/

Edited by jimmybean

• 2 months later...

The Wall Street Journal reported today that the Waldorf will be closing for up to three years during which time it will be gutted, resulting in 3/4 of the hotel rooms being converted to private apartments. The remaining three to five hundred hotel rooms will be upgraded to luxury standards. Story here: https://www.yahoo.com/finance/news/classic-waldorf-hotel-gutted-1-003200763.html

Salacia

I'd recommend the Sofitel, which is just off Times Square. It's a remarkably peaceful hotel and has the most comfortable beds ever. The Viceroy is another potential option for a more modern stay, with some rooms having a balcony. Finally, the four seasons is a favourite of mine but it appears it's going under renovation at the moment.

My favourite hotel in NYC is the 'Fitzpatrick Grand Central' just off Lexington Ave. I've been staying here for years ( before & after a crossing) I've just booked it again for my next visit after my September crossing.

They do a good English Breakfast ,or I should say an Irish Breakfast ....and a proper 'pot of HOT English breakfast tea' ....oh and proper Orange thick cut Marmalade and a good selection of Jam....none of this blueberry jelly stuff :D

Worth checking out on line. ;)