Connecting rooms on the Odyssey

rachelfran

FWIW - we are onboard and our neighbors are very very quiet. No problems here!

So pleased to read this. Thank you for updating, I've been wondering how you were getting on.

Hopefully you're enjoying a fabulous cruise, and Happy Anniversary!

• 4 weeks later...

We had a connecting cabin on Quest in June and has major problems with noise and light. We complained to the consierge, and they came with insulating materials for the door. This did block the light but did not help with the noise issues. Hope you have a better experience than we did!

We had 924 last week that connects with one of the penthouse suites 922, we saw our "neighbours" once, a charming German couple.

We never heard a sound from next door, day or night and no issue of light from the connecting door.

We would be very happy in this suite again, perfect location for us

• 3 months later...

Thanks everyone for posting your comments.

We leave on our Antarctic cruise on Seabourn Quest in one week from today. I find out this morning via a friend that is on our cruise - that someone else on the cruise has been allocated our cabin. I was totally shocked and nearly fell down the stairs to get to my laptop. Searched my Seabourn account find they moved us to 729. Thanks for the upgrade Seabourn - BUT what happened to the notification - NO EMAILS/PHONE CALL - NOTHING. Then I start searching this new cabin and find out it is a connecting room. Can't say I am very happy about this at all.

I have sent off heaps of emails today (Sunday) and to my TA. Seabourn had better fix this real quick!

Rotten luck - you could be lucky, but we did hear a certain amount from the neighbours when we were allocated an adjoining suite.

As the ship should not be full - although there are obviously far more special staff on board - you are right to insist that they move you, even if back to your original grade.

Good luck

We leave on our Antarctic cruise on Seabourn Quest in one week from today. I find out this morning via a friend that is on our cruise - that someone else on the cruise has been allocated our cabin. I was totally shocked and nearly fell down the stairs to get to my laptop. Searched my Seabourn account find they moved us to 729. Thanks for the upgrade Seabourn - BUT what happened to the notification - NO EMAILS/PHONE CALL - NOTHING. Then I start searching this new cabin and find out it is a connecting room. Can't say I am very happy about this at all.

I have sent off heaps of emails today (Sunday) and to my TA. Seabourn had better fix this real quick!

Was this a move from an initially allocated guarantee cabin? We were allocated a mid ships cabin on a guarantee basis three weeks out before a transatlantic. Clearly someone didn't like their allocation and we discovered with three days to go (by checking the booking on the website) they'd moved us up a deck but to the second most forward cabin. In theory an upgrade but annoying after the initial allocation had been made. I didn't say anything but was annoyed, especially after the fourth day of a huge swell!

Hi there guys. It's not as though your booking was a last minute affair either!

I hope that your email to customer services in Seattle will result in a satisfactory outcome. There is nothing worse than starting off with a niggle of doubt. My own experience of linked cabins - not on SB to be fair, was that it definitely increased noise levels. We were unlucky in having an argumentative couple but even so. Up to now on SB we wouldn't know there were neighbours - possibly because they put us in the triple insulated "that couple with the child" suite :)

Fingers crossed it all works out and you have an amazing experience. Will raise a glass to you both on New Years Eve :)

Henry.

Edited to say if your initial booking was on a guarantee basis then SB are obviously within their rights to shuffle people but if it was a specific cabin booking a totally different kettle of fish.

Whilst I remember : Hot chocolate with Baileys. Had some after the Ephesus concert walking back onboard. A little bit of heaven in a glass & perfect for the Antarctic :)

Edited by Able Seaman H

Yes,the last 2 posts are correct - I assumed you had booked a specific suite in the first place. We were once bumped from a chosen suite to a higher grade one we did not want, and could not have the original back. Pretty cross about that - but it turns out that if you do not let SB know you do not want an ' automatic upgrade' from a chosen suite you need to tell them when you book. Not a lot of people know that. But if originally on a gty basis, I fear that Henry is right.

Could be even worse if you have smokers next door as we are aware from a previous cruise.

And yes I know Seabourn does not now allow smoking in suites; but I am told that it is sometimes practice for smokers to leave the door to the verandah open when smoking on the balcony. With obvious consequences. Unless of course they ignore the new smoking policy and smoke in their suite, which I am told is also happening!

Quite agree that connecting cabins on these ships can mean if your neighbors are noisy or leave the TV on loud that you will hear it. So sorry.

Before you rant at Seabourn you may want to check your initial booking agreement. Many TA's pass on Seabourn's option to be considered for an upgrade ( even when you preselect a suite) without informing the passenger that if they do get an upgrade they cannot turn it down. This has caused quite a bit of unhappiness amongst some passengers who were unaware of this.

There is indeed a question during the booking process asking if you wish to be considered for an upgrade or not. A lot of people tick yes on the basis who wouldn't want the upgrade fairy to sprinkle her magic dust but what SB may consider a superior suite you may not.

This is particularly the case with V1 guarantee bookings - the most common I would imagine on the basis of cost. Everyone puts themselves forward for an upgrade thinking they can't do any worse than they already have, V1 being the lowest grade of veranda suite. As has been pointed out on here previously they are few anomalies within the stateroom rating system so think hard before ticking that box.

We don't have the option as a 3 person booking. The SB system insists we are allocated a specific cabin at the time of booking. I recently wrote to SB about the matter because on the last 2 cruises our cabin wasn't designed for 3 pax, they wheeled a fold up bed in each day. They explained it was a function of the booking system rather than the ship design and were concerned we might feel alienated so responded with a very generous gesture for our upcoming cruise.

We had already taken advantage of a last minute paid upgrade which sees us in a PH suite for the first time. I wonder if your choice of travel agent denotes whether you will be offered such opportunities.

Cruise Critic can sometimes be seen as a platform for the fan boys & girls or as somewhere people frequent when they want to slate a cruise line but it does also offer some excellent advice to those prepared to listen. Hopefully this thread will be one of those occasions.

Henry :)

Cruise Critic can sometimes be seen as a platform for the fan boys & girls or as somewhere people frequent when they want to slate a cruise line but it does also offer some excellent advice to those prepared to listen. Hopefully this thread will be one of those occasions.

So true ... we had been given / read advice regarding this before booking and have booked particular suites and said no to upgrades for this very reason. I figure we cannot be disappointed if we have chosen the suite.

Hi there guys. It's not as though your booking was a last minute affair either!

I hope that your email to customer services in Seattle will result in a satisfactory outcome. There is nothing worse than starting off with a niggle of doubt. My own experience of linked cabins - not on SB to be fair, was that it definitely increased noise levels. We were unlucky in having an argumentative couple but even so. Up to now on SB we wouldn't know there were neighbours - possibly because they put us in the triple insulated "that couple with the child" suite :)

Fingers crossed it all works out and you have an amazing experience. Will raise a glass to you both on New Years Eve :)

Henry.

Edited to say if your initial booking was on a guarantee basis then SB are obviously within their rights to shuffle people but if it was a specific cabin booking a totally different kettle of fish.

Whilst I remember : Hot chocolate with Baileys. Had some after the Ephesus concert walking back onboard. A little bit of heaven in a glass & perfect for the Antarctic :)

Hello Henry, Doug and I will miss you this year. Emily another year old and even more beautiful, I am sure. Yes, as you know we booked this on last years cruise and the specific room - I am not very happy at all. I was told by my TA today, that SB advised them that the cruise was full and could not move us, then a note from SB Australia saying they will try to get our original cabin back - I will be ringing Seattle tonight. Will let you know how we go.

Enjoy your cruise - will be thinking of you and will raise a glass to you on NYE.

Quite agree that connecting cabins on these ships can mean if your neighbors are noisy or leave the TV on loud that you will hear it. So sorry.

Before you rant at Seabourn you may want to check your initial booking agreement. Many TA's pass on Seabourn's option to be considered for an upgrade ( even when you preselect a suite) without informing the passenger that if they do get an upgrade they cannot turn it down. This has caused quite a bit of unhappiness amongst some passengers who were unaware of this.

We actually booked this cruise on our Seabourn cruise last Christmas and booked that specific room with no upgrade request. So I am really no happy about this at all.

Edited by thetreaswife

Email customer services in Seattle. I think emailing takes some pressure off them and ensures they don't have a "bunny rabbit caught in the headlights" moment.

It gives them time to research and think out their response. The fact you booked a specific suite with no upgrade request is significant. Whilst I have no doubt the cruise is full now you were in there a long time ago and booked directly with SB.

There will be people who booked a guarantee suite and who can be moved around. That's the whole reason why the fare is lower, it allows SB flexibility in loading their cargo.

Regardless of the outcome you are going to have an amazing experience. I haven't heard anyone who has said anything other than supremely positive things. Only a minute percentage of the population will have experienced what you guys are going to and to do it in such luxury is incredible.

It wasn't long ago that taking such a trip was life threatening and reserved exclusively for crazy explorers. You guys have to decide whether to have the foie gras, the cheese soufflé or the ravioli with truffle oil. They even throw in a free jacket !

Email customer services in Seattle. I think emailing takes some pressure off them and ensures they don't have a "bunny rabbit caught in the headlights" moment.

It gives them time to research and think out their response. The fact you booked a specific suite with no upgrade request is significant. Whilst I have no doubt the cruise is full now you were in there a long time ago and booked directly with SB.

There will be people who booked a guarantee suite and who can be moved around. That's the whole reason why the fare is lower, it allows SB flexibility in loading their cargo.

Regardless of the outcome you are going to have an amazing experience. I haven't heard anyone who has said anything other than supremely positive things. Only a minute percentage of the population will have experienced what you guys are going to and to do it in such luxury is incredible.

It wasn't long ago that taking such a trip was life threatening and reserved exclusively for crazy explorers. You guys have to decide whether to have the foie gras, the cheese soufflé or the ravioli with truffle oil. They even throw in a free jacket !

Well said Henry, I couldn't agree more with everything you have written.:)

Well said Henry, I couldn't agree more with everything you have written.:)

Me too. 'Absolute disgrace' as my DH would say.

Please come back if you have time to let us know the outcome, and yes, heartily agree that a carefully thought out email is probably the best thing.

Hi Everyone and thanks for your suggestions. I did send an email to Guest Relations and also Seabourn Club. I find out via our online account, that our original cabin has been re-instated. But hence no response from Seabourn to tell us. Anyway we are back in the cabin we booked and now need to focus on last minute todo items and packing with only a couple of days before we leave.

Thanks everyone. Looking forward to our amazing holiday on the Quest in the Antarctica.