Extra Time to Spend in Port?

erikzen

Taking my first Regent cruise in about a month. So excited!

I've tried to post some questions about specific ports previously but didn't get much response. I'll try posting a more general question.

When you take an excursion that is scheduled to return at 1 or 2 and the boat is scheduled to leave at 6 or 7, does Regent make it easy to spend that extra time in port? I know it depends on the excursion and the port city, but if practical, is this feasible?

To be more specific, I'm taking the Mariner from Rome to Venice. I'm signed up for the Pompeii excursion. When it returns I'd love to have an hour or two in Sorrento. Likewise, the same situation exists in most ports. In Bari, the excursion is due back at 2 but the boat is scheduled to leave 4 hours later. Is there time to explore and get back to the ship, and do I need to research taxis or public transportation?

I'd be interested in hearing about any experiences you may have had, on a similar cruise or any other Regent cruise for that matter.

Taking your first Regent cruise is definitely exciting. You should have a great time!

In terms of remaining in port after the conclusion of an excursion, you would need to make your own arrangements to return to the ship. In addition to checking different modes of transportation, it is important to learn typical traffic patterns. We have been in the midst of extremely heavy traffic in Italy.

When you board the ship, there will be a detailed explanation from Destination Services regarding each excursion. It will show approximate travel times as well as how long you will be at each stop. I would look at the time it should take to return to the ship and add plenty of extra time in case of unexpected traffic.

Enjoy your cruise:)

Edited by Travelcat2

We have often done this on our Regent cruises (six). Regent almost always runs a shuttle to town; schedule will be at the destination desk on the morning of the excursion. I ask Destinations or the excursion guide to either drop us off at the shuttle stop or point it out at the end of our excursion. I also have a contingency back-up of using a taxi: local money and an address of the dock as given by Regent in that day's ship's newspaper. I'm chicken and always leave extra time so we don't miss the ship - it won't wait!

Bon Voyage

To be more specific, I'm taking the Mariner from Rome to Venice. I'm signed up for the Pompeii excursion. When it returns I'd love to have an hour or two in Sorrento. Likewise, the same situation exists in most ports. In Bari, the excursion is due back at 2 but the boat is scheduled to leave 4 hours later. Is there time to explore and get back to the ship, and do I need to research taxis or public transportation?

I'd be interested in hearing about any experiences you may have had, on a similar cruise or any other Regent cruise for that matter.

We are the Mariner this week, similar itinerary as yours. Sorrento is a tendering port from ship to shore. Your tour group will go together on a specific tender at the beginning of the tour. When you are done with the organized tour, you are on your own, and can go back to the ship any time you choose, on any tender you want. So, you will have ample opportunity to explore on your own terms. Regent provided a shuttle service from the tender pier to the upper town, first come first served.

In Bari, the ship was docked. The pier is very close to the town (1/2 mile), but inside a fenced secured area. Once your tour group returns, it will be an easy walk thru the terminal and into town. The daily newsletter onboard (Passages) says that buses and taxis are available just outside the port gates. Likewise, a shuttle was operated by Regent from the port to Piazza Massari.

Edited by Anchorbuoy

I'm also interested in this topic. So can I assume that the shuttle runs on an intermittent schedule from a stated pick-up spot back to the ship? How often does it generally run? We'll definitely leave a wide margin of error!

I'm also interested in this topic. So can I assume that the shuttle runs on an intermittent schedule from a stated pick-up spot back to the ship? How often does it generally run? We'll definitely leave a wide margin of error!

Yes. Destination Services prints a schedule for the shuttle services, and this gives departure times from the ship or from the city. You can pick up a copy at their desk prior to leaving the ship. Depending on the city, it usually runs either every 30 minutes or hourly. Sometimes there is a break for the driver's lunch, in which case there is a gap in the schedule.

There is only one drop-off/pick-up point. If you are on an organized tour in the vicinity, you can catch the shuttle back to the ship instead of the tour bus.

Edited by Anchorbuoy

It often runs on an hourly schedule, leaving the port on the hour and leaving the town center on the half hour. We never wait for the last scheduled departure as we tend to be cautious. But as Deep Freeze says a taxi is always an option.

We also are on the Mariner this week doing Rome to Venice. The ports have had excellent excursions and being on the ship is also great.

Regarding the shuttles, IMO in the last year or so Regent has been getting cheap. They will always run a shuttle to the port gate if it is not walking distance. But you can not count on more than that, i. e. a shuttle to the town center. And the shuttle schedules are getting limited, stopping earlier or only running every 60 minutes or longer.

If you are going to want to spend extra time in port, you need to plan ahead, just in case. Sometimes ShoreEx will have the info a few days before a particular port, especially if it a port that the ship frequents. However, if it is a port they do not go to often, ShoreEx might not be able to tell you anything. Cruise Critic has detailed port description and reviews so in many places you can get all the info you need. Also, usually there will be a local tourist bureau agent on board right after the ship docks.

Someone commented about that if you are late the ship will leave you. Oh how I wish that were true on Regent. Other may have, but I have never seen the ship leave anyone.

j

Someone commented about that if you are late the ship will leave you. Oh how I wish that were true on Regent. Other may have, but I have never seen the ship leave anyone.

j

I take it that you've been held up from leaving port by stragglers? This seems somewhat odd and reassuring at the same time. I would assume that if you were off on your own and didn't make it back to the ship on time they'd leave without you. If you were on an excursion organized by the cruise line then yes, I would not expect them to leave you behind.

It does happen. On our 2010 Bermuda cruise a couple were left behind when they didn't board after repeated pages (they were making eyes at each other in a cafe and lost track of time). The ship left their passports and valuables from the safe with Regent's port agent and set sail. They rejoined at the next port (flying there at their own expense) and it was a topic of much friendly banter around the pool deck. I don't believe they were on one of the Regent excursions, but sightseeing on their own.

When we were on Mariner many years ago, we were obviously waiting for somebody in a port that was a working port (there was a little tram/train thing that ran from the gate to where the ship was docked). There were several members of the crew standing out by the gangplank, the captain was out on the bridge (our balcony was right next to the bridge), I was on our balcony. Finally, the little tram thing came across the way, and a couple jumped out and ran up the gangplank, it was immediately pulled in and we were on our way.

The captain grinned at me and kind of slapped the railing, like "foiled, I was going to leave them".

It does happen. On our 2010 Bermuda cruise a couple were left behind when they didn't board after repeated pages (they were making eyes at each other in a cafe and lost track of time). The ship left their passports and valuables from the safe with Regent's port agent and set sail. They rejoined at the next port (flying there at their own expense) and it was a topic of much friendly banter around the pool deck. I don't believe they were on one of the Regent excursions, but sightseeing on their own.

I believe that it happens. The ship sometime has to sail because of tides, docking space, etc. I have just never had it happen to me in my 35 Regent voyages. And as you point out Regent went to extraordinary lengths to get out their passport and make arraignment with the port agent to get them back to the ship.

I seen my share of very late straggler. It is not a pretty sight for them with many passengers watching from their balcony. Often there is cat calling, sometimes it is ugly. Most of the straggler are truly embarrassed and/or have a good story. Once in a while they are just jerks, oblivious, off in their own little world.

j

In any event, there seems like ample opportunity to explore ports on your own provided the out of town excursions run on time. We'll play it by ear, and if anything, definitely err on the side of caution!

In any event, there seems like ample opportunity to explore ports on your own provided the out of town excursions run on time. We'll play it by ear, and if anything, definitely err on the side of caution!

If you are going out on your own, always get the name and phone number of the local Port Agent. The Port Agents info is usually on the back page of the daily announcements and/or in the port information sheet. I just tear it out and stick it in my wallet or take a picture of it with my phone.

j