Sunshine MDR: Are tables for 2 placed inches from each other?

Aldeya

Do you happen to remember the table number by chance? Thanks. I will be on her October 1. Maybe I can request that table.

I had table 581...table for 2, no one in front of us or in back either. Great spot!

Do you happen to remember the table number by chance? Thanks. I will be on her October 1. Maybe I can request that table.

I want to say it was table # 581? For some reason I can't find the picture I took of the table the first day.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

• 2 weeks later...
I want to say it was table # 581? For some reason I can't find the picture I took of the table the first day.

I just wanted to tell you that I emailed the MDR today with the same request and asked for that table but I told them that any table would do by the balcony and low and behold they emailed me right back with confirmation. Was very surprised at how fast. So one less thing to worry about. Thanks again.

Most of them are only about 8" apart. The worst locations are the 2 tops with bench seating on one side and a chair on the other side. It's extremely difficult for the person on the booth side to stand and get out, without intruding on the table next to you. Do you present your front or back......:o

The best 2 tops are the tables that are B2B with 4 top booths on either side and walkways on each side. That way you have about 3 feet between your table and the booth beside you.

"Excuse my butt."

Most mass market ships are like that. In the good old days larger tables were shared. As times changed, people became more antisocial and requests for tables for 2 increased. Tables for 6-8 or more became tables for 2 but still had to fit in the same floor space. Everyone on the ship still has to eat.

Not antisocial. Just disgusted being seated with a man who put too much pepper on his steak and sneezed 20 times (I counted) all over the table I handed him my napkin and he just waved it around. I've been seated with former patients, people who talk so much it takes them 45 minutes to eat a salad and no one else got served, with a girl who ate like a rabbit and I got tired of it. Now I choose to sit alone.

Our next two cruises has one or both kiddos with us so we won't have to worry about the tables for two but last cruise hubby and I got stuck at a table for 12. We asked for a table for two and the maitre'd was the rudest jerk in town because we asked. And he didn't help us out either! I hate the two tops are literally ON TOP of each other...and folks want to chat and I have to listen to their conversations. It's a nice dinner, I just want to be with my honey and not have to deal with all that...we mingle and are social when we WANT to be...he's my bestie after 18 years ...mostly I just like to hang out with him.

I just wanted to tell you that I emailed the MDR today with the same request and asked for that table but I told them that any table would do by the balcony and low and behold they emailed me right back with confirmation. Was very surprised at how fast. So one less thing to worry about. Thanks again.

Yay! You will like it. And if it's the same Maitre D, he sings every night and it was the highlight of my evening. Usually Sinatra. [emoji7]

Most mass market ships are like that. In the good old days larger tables were shared. As times changed, people became more antisocial and requests for tables for 2 increased. Tables for 6-8 or more became tables for 2 but still had to fit in the same floor space. Everyone on the ship still has to eat.

I agree with you and on the Sunshine it is even worse. They recently added about 150 cabins and the MDR stayed the same size.

I had table 581...table for 2, no one in front of us or in back either. Great spot!

Thanks for the tip as well. Now I'm really looking forward to it. I cruise solo so that will be an ideal spot for me. Some privacy while eating.

Yay! You will like it. And if it's the same Maitre D, he sings every night and it was the highlight of my evening. Usually Sinatra. [emoji7]

I'm soo excited about it now. I hope I get that waiter. Love Sinatra and will let you know what happens when I come back.

We were on the Sunshine last Fall. We had a table for 2 in the aft MDR. We were on the upper level, next to the glass railing, overlooking the lower level. We had our area all to ourselves. It was quiet, and made for a very nice experience. I think it truly is luck of the draw. We had assigned late dining if this makes a difference.

We were in this section too. We are a family of four. We sat in a booth. Next to us, was a table for two. The waiters walked in between us. Definitely not inches apart. Request that table for two.

I am going to have to disagree with you. I don't think people have become antisocial. I think that when people are traveling together as couples it is not uncommon to want to have dinner with just your spouse or significant other.

Furthermore, most families consist of two working spouses and when they are able to get away on vacation they enjoy spending time with just each other. I know that is the case with my wife and I.

Also, if there is this tremendous need to feed everyone on the ship and the space is limited, why pretend to offer tables for two at all? Seems like they would be better served to stick with the old, larger table model and not try to fool everyone with the illusion of privacy.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Last December, we had YTD on Sunshine. We got around the 2" table issue by requesting a booth each night. We might have had to wait a few extra minutes but we will do this again! It worked perfectly and is the best solution I could find. Those tables that are almost on top of each other really get under my skin!

We do the same!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I think a lot of folks want to have their cake and eat it, too. They want the good old days on the cruise ships - fabulous food, excellent service, friendly staff, etc. In the good old days, there were no tables for two or your time dining. Sorry, they can't make the ships dining rooms suddenly expand in floor space so everyone can have a table for two and a private setting and your time dining. Ships are built and are not like a house where you can add on that fancy family room to that 1950's tract house with small closets. Tables for two are in high demand and therefore must be close together - the space was taken up by 8 top tables to be shared by happy cruisers not the ME ME ME demands of today's cruisers.

I think a lot of folks want to have their cake and eat it, too. They want the good old days on the cruise ships - fabulous food, excellent service, friendly staff, etc. In the good old days, there were no tables for two or your time dining. Sorry, they can't make the ships dining rooms suddenly expand in floor space so everyone can have a table for two and a private setting and your time dining. Ships are built and are not like a house where you can add on that fancy family room to that 1950's tract house with small closets. Tables for two are in high demand and therefore must be close together - the space was taken up by 8 top tables to be shared by happy cruisers not the ME ME ME demands of today's cruisers.

Like I said before, NCL handled it just fine when we were on them. CCL and Princess have the more private tables available too only in limited quantities. I am sure this is a result of switching from traditional to anytime dining on many of their ships. Some people may be fine with close 2 tops. We are not. But we are also willing to ask for and to wait for the tables of our choice. That's not ME ME ME if we are willing to sacrifice our time to get what we want. Just like a large group would need to wait for their group to be placed close together if they chose to do anytime. I think in the future ship builds you will see more anytime and/or specialty style restaurants that will better cater to the more casual cruiser of today. As with NCL, I think that will result in more private dining tables for cruising couples who wish to dine with just each other.

Edited by Warm Breezes

I think this is a really good honest answer why the dining rooms are set up the way they are with tables as close together as they, are and closer than some people would like.

to the OP's original question, NO, the tables are not 2 ' apart. There would be no way to get out of the chair unless you pushed the tables apart, which you don't. Yes, they are close, but not so close your thighs will fit in between them, think about it

I would agree that the tables for two are very close....especially apparent in dining rooms that were 'converted' from traditional to your time dining...

As others have mentioned, there are some 'back-to-back' arrangements such as along balcony rails, that were part of the original configuration, but where they eliminated large tables in order to accommodate more tables for two, they were forced to keep them tight to accommodate everyone.

That said, I would prefer the more private ones, but still like the more crowded ones over sharing a larger table with strangers. Even the little bit of separation, gives you the option of politely keeping to your own conversation, or if welcomed, converse with those at adjacent tables.

The main reason we like to have our own table, is not at all to be 'anti-social', but rather our desire to dine at our own pace (usually fast...we don't like to spend more than an hour for dinner), which you can't do when dining with others....

Apologies to the OP - Aldeya - the Cruise Critic boards are NOT typical of the people you meet on any of the cruise lines :)

I've been on 10 - everyone a great cruise. I join the Roll Call groups and have met some truly wonderful people, most of whom I am still in touch with.

When I cruise with my sister, we usually go with the flow and sit at the group tables. We've been lucky and met some very nice people. She and I are talkers - we'll talk to anyone, but sometimes you don't get good vibes and you can move along. Not so much at a MDR table. I've gotten my husband into liking cruises lately, and sometimes we're with family - in which case we get a table for the family. But we've taken a couple of cruises now, where we are just the 2 of us. We have another booked on the Sunshine next Sept - which is mainly why I'm here. This will be our first time on this particular ship.

We do late seating always - not Any Time Dining. I follow John Heald's Facebook page and he takes requests, so I've asked him twice for a table for 2 and gotten a lovely table each time. On the Splendor we had a table in the middle of the floor near some larger tables and some other 2 tops. We were close but not right next to the other tables - certainly not close enough to hear conversation. Voices yet - actual conversations - no.

Recently on the Pride, we had a table for 2 on the main walkway, which one might think could be a problem, but once everyone was in - it was fine. We were near a booth with a family of 4 with I'd say nearly a tablewidth between the 2. Plenty of room for the wait staff to walk with out disturbing either table.

We said hello each night, and there were some comments back and forth, mostly involving our very entertaining head waiter, and some food choices. "Oh that looks good - what is it?" Type of thing, but no extended conversations. They had theirs - we had ours. It was just fine - kind of like you might expect in a local restaurant - not a chain, but not a fine dining place.

So I hope this didn't put you off Carnival. Their staff on the ship is wonderful. The food for the most part is good. I've not been on NCL, though I did get a chance to do a travel agent lunch a few years back, and I'd say the food was on a fairly equal par. I don't know about recently. I've no experience with Celebrity, so I can't speak to that, but I did sail with RCL and I like Carnival's food better. The shows on Carnival can't compete with RCL, I will say that!

We're comfortable with Carnival - it's laid back and relaxing. The Elegant night is not formal, and the Elegant part is even falling by the wayside. I dress up, my husband wears a dress shirt and dockers - he thinks that's dressed up :)

If you're doing Any Time Dining, I'd say wait for the table you want. I won't send you to the buffet or to eat in your room like a misbehaving child :D We all have different preferences. I have no issue whatsoever with the people who love the socializing at the big tables. I figure it leaves more 2 tops for those of us who prefer that (and I think my husband would pretend he didn't know me if I made "goo-goo eyes" at him across a table.

Different strokes for different folks - it makes the world go around. I hope you do give Carnival a try. Maybe you'll like it, maybe not (there's that different strokes thing again). But what ever you decide - happy sailing!

Oh - if you are doing set seating - early or late, contact John Heald on his page. He'll set you up.

My one and only experience at these side by side tables was not good. A mom and her princess daughter were at a 2 top adjacent to our 4 top. Said princess decided to rapidly brush all her crumbs towards the direction of our table. A lot of them went right on to my plate. She and her mom were oblivious. A quick elbow from the wifey kept me from opening my big mouth.

Haven't sailed Sunshine but ever other Carnival ship is that way. You can eat from your neighbors plate.

Agree. Tables are so close together that you really can't have a private conversation. On the other hand, we have some nice people who were our "table mates.":)

• 2 weeks later...

I am the OP of this thread so I thought the follow-up would be in order.

We just came back from Carnival Sunshine.

We solved the problem for a table for 2 by asking for a booth every night. We had YTD and went for a dinner at different times (5:30 to 7:30 usually). We didn't get the booth only once, on the last night of the cruise, all other nights there were no problem getting one.

We loved it! There were 2 of us at the table for 4, plenty of space. We enjoyed our dinners together very much.

So I want to say THANK YOU to those who suggested asking for a booth! I would never thought about asking for one if not for the advice of people on this board.

I owe you a drink.. or two.. :D

I am the OP of this thread so I thought the follow-up would be in order.

We just came back from Carnival Sunshine.

We solved the problem for a table for 2 by asking for a booth every night. We had YTD and went for a dinner at different times (5:30 to 7:30 usually). We didn't get the booth only once, on the last night of the cruise, all other nights there were no problem getting one.

We loved it! There were 2 of us at the table for 4, plenty of space. We enjoyed our dinners together very much.

So I want to say THANK YOU to those who suggested asking for a booth! I would never thought about asking for one if not for the advice of people on this board.

I owe you a drink.. or two.. :D

Thank you for the follow up. We will definitely be asking for the same in October.

• 2 weeks later...

We've been cruising for a pretty long time and we like the non fixed times for dinner. Some nights I want to eat at 6, others at 7. It's why we don't do the fixed time anymore.

We are friendly to others and don't mind sharing a table on occasion but mostly we just want to have a soup and an entree. When you sit with a whole group, you might get people who order 3 appetizers, a salad, 2 entrees and a bunch of deserts. I can't cope with sitting for dinner that long watching other people eat that much food. I might only have appetizers and an espresso. We are not big night time eaters so to have to sit thru a 2 hour ordeal while everyone at the table eats is no longer for us.

It's rude to get up in the middle of dinner and leave, so we choose our time dining and a table for 2.

I can only recall one time where we did not have some nice table mates that we did not find some kind of common ground to have pleasant conversation with. I can recall over the 30 yrs of cruising we have done, lots of fun times at big tables with fixed dining times. I can also recall being seated with a family that was religious and insisted that everyone hold hands and say grace and were extremely offended when we explained we don't do religion. Nor do we say grace. And we had no intention of honoring their traditions. I'm pretty sure the look the lady gave me exorcised any demons that lived with in me or any of my dead ancestors on the spot. So I'm safe now :)

I should mention that she gathered up her little clan of worshippers and marched away from table stating she could not be seated with heathens. Which taught my children a very valuable lesson about people who profess to be Christians. Professing to be one, does not make you one. Actions make you one.

I had no problem with them holding hands, saying a prayer or even singing Kumbayla if that's what their thing is before dinner. Just don't demand I join you doing so.

Soooo...we like our own dinner table nowadays. If you are 2 inches away from me, I will say hi and hope you have a wonderful dinner. If you say nothing back, that's ok. If you want to have a conversation about how you love the ship, are having fun...that's cool too.