Help on St George's visit

gschwartz001

i will be in Bermuda in September with my Mom. Was thinking of a trip to St. George's then lunch at the Swizzle Inn and Baileys ice cream for dessert. What is the best way to get to St George's from the dockyard? And then to get to the swizzle inn and back to the dockyard. Any help is appreciated. Thanks.

Gail:

Take the Orange Route ferry from Dockyard to St. George. From St. George take a #1, 3, 10 or 11 bus to the Swizzle Inn. You could then reverse the trip to get back, or if you want to experience Bermuda's version of an amusement park ride (OK it's really not that bad) take the 1, 3, 10 or 11 onward to Hamilton. From Hamilton take the Blue Route ferry back to Dockyard.

Here's the ferry schedule:

http://www.marineandports.bm/Documents/BMOC/Summer%20Ferry%20Schedule%202017.pdf

Paul

PS...I'd give you a personal guided tour, but we're going to be there about two weeks after you, I believe.

Gail:

Take the Orange Route ferry from Dockyard to St. George. From St. George take a #1, 3, 10 or 11 bus to the Swizzle Inn. You could then reverse the trip to get back, or if you want to experience Bermuda's version of an amusement park ride (OK it's really not that bad) take the 1, 3, 10 or 11 onward to Hamilton. From Hamilton take the Blue Route ferry back to Dockyard.

Here's the ferry schedule:

http://www.marineandports.bm/Documents/BMOC/Summer%20Ferry%20Schedule%202017.pdf

Paul

PS...I'd give you a personal guided tour, but we're going to be there about two weeks after you, I believe.

Since you seem to know a lot about St George, I have a question for you. We were planning to go to St George with Celebrity's excursion on our first day there. Some say we should just go it alone, save the money. What's your opinion? I assume we will be able to get off the ship the first day early enough to get the 9:30 ferry?

Since you seem to know a lot about St George, I have a question for you. We were planning to go to St George with Celebrity's excursion on our first day there. Some say we should just go it alone, save the money. What's your opinion? I assume we will be able to get off the ship the first day early enough to get the 9:30 ferry?

My opinion is that this is DIY. Go to St George's yourself, do what you want, see what you want, and stay as long as you want.

Member NJhorseman's earlier post was spot on. Do you still want to do the Swizzle Inn and Bailey's Ice Cream? Was the CL including those in the excursion?

Depart the cruise ship as soon as you can. The ferry holds 400 passengers (I think), and they do not overload it. Buy tokens or Transportation Pass before boarding the ferry or have the correct change.

SBtS

My opinion is that this is DIY. Go to St George's yourself, do what you want, see what you want, and stay as long as you want.

Member NJhorseman's earlier post was spot on. Do you still want to do the Swizzle Inn and Bailey's Ice Cream? Was the CL including those in the excursion?

Depart the cruise ship as soon as you can. The ferry holds 400 passengers (I think), and they do not overload it. Buy tokens or Transportation Pass before boarding the ferry or have the correct change.

SBtS

SBtS is correct. Do it yourself. There's no reason to take a cruise ship excursion to St. George...unless, and only unless, you have an on board credit from the cruise line that can only be spent on shore excursions and you will lose it if you don't use it.

The orange line doesn't run on Saturdays? Is there a way to travel between the Dockyard and St Georges?

Take the Blue Route ferry to Hamilton, walk from the Hamilton ferry terminal to the Hamilton bus terminal and then take a #1, 3, 10 or 11 bus to St. George. This may take 90 minutes or so, twice as long as the direct Orange Route ferry from Dockyard to Hamilton.

The orange line doesn't run on Saturdays? Is there a way to travel between the Dockyard and St Georges?

That is correct. On Saturday, you would take the ferry to Hamilton (about 20 minutes travel time), and take the route #10 or #11 bus to St George's (about 50 minutes travel time) or hire a taxi for the trip. The taxi fare would be about $37 plus tip for 4 passengers.

SBtS

Where's the best (least crowded) spot to get ferry passes/tokens the first day we dock in Dockyard? Can we pay once on board the ferry?

There is a Visiter Information Center at the cruise ship terminal. They have two windows open in the morning on the outside of the building at King's Wharf that Summit uses. I have always had time to buy tokens before catching the 9:30 ferry to St.George's on Wednesday but if you are running late or there is line you may pay $5 cash.

Will they take bills ones and fives American?I read the bus and ferries only take change is this true?

Last year, several returnees from Bermuda posted that they were able to use a $5 bill on the ferry. The ferry schedule only states Cash Fare $5 unlike the bus schedule which specifies "Fare $5, exact change only, no dollar bills".

There are 3 Visitor Information Centers at the Dockyard where tokens or Transportation Passes can be purchased. Try paying the ferry fare with a $5 bill, and then post back here the result when you return.

Just remember that on the bus and ferry, change is not made; and that you must have the correct fare before you board.

You pay for the fare on the bus or ferry with a token, Transportation Pass, ticket, or cash (exact change only on buses).

SBtS

If I purchase a booklet of 15 tickets, is this only good for the ferry or are they good for buses as well? Also, why is one booklet of 15 tickets $37.50 and another $25.00? I am confused about tokens, booklets, tickets, passes, and exact change.

If I purchase a booklet of 15 tickets, is this only good for the ferry or are they good for buses as well? Also, why is one booklet of 15 tickets $37.50 and another $25.00? I am confused about tokens, booklets, tickets, passes, and exact change.

Tickets are for the bus and ferry. The 15 ticket booklet for 14 Zones costs $37.50; the 15 ticket booklet for 3 Zones costs $25.00. Bermuda's bus transportation service divides Bermuda into 14 transportation zones.

For instance, if you wanted to travel by bus from the Dockyard to St George's (14 zones), you would have to pay the 14 zone fare by ticket, token, or cash; if you wanted to travel by bus from the Dockyard to Port Royal Golf Course (3 zones), you would have to pay the 3 zone fare by ticket, token, or cash.

Read here: https://www.gov.bm/bus-zones-and-transfers

SBtS

They have not sold the ticket booklets at the Dockyard for a number of years. They sell the tokens, one and two day passes there. You can buy booklets in Hamilton and St. George's.

Is it really a 2 hour bus ride from St George's back to the dockyard? We have an overnight and were looking into the Ghost tour in St. George but it looks like the ferries don't run at night? Thanks for any info!

The ferries don't run at night to St George's. It would be almost two hours by bus but you would also have to account for changing buses in Hamilton. So it might be more.

They have not sold the ticket booklets at the Dockyard for a number of years. They sell the tokens, one and two day passes there. You can buy booklets in Hamilton and St. George's.

My plan is to purchase 2 tokens at $4.50 each (one for my bride and one for myself) the first day we get to Bermuda to take the ferry to Hamilton after dinner.

While in Hamilton I will purchase one booklet of 15 tickets to use for both of us for getting back to the dockyard and for Day 2 and 3 in Bermuda. My understanding is that you provide a ticket to the bus driver or ferry service upon boarding just like a token or $5 bill would be turned in.

Is it really a 2 hour bus ride from St George's back to the dockyard? We have an overnight and were looking into the Ghost tour in St. George but it looks like the ferries don't run at night? Thanks for any info!

Yes, it would be about 2 hours by bus including any waiting time. Depending on the day your tour is on, the last ferry from St George's is at 5:15 pm or 2:30 pm.

An option for traveling from SG to the Dockyard at night would be to take the route #10 or #11 bus from SG to Hamilton; travel time, about 50 minutes. Last bus from SG departs at 11:45 pm except Sunday when it departs at 10:45 pm.

Walk from the bus terminal to the Hamilton ferry terminal and board the ferry to the Dockyard; travel time, about 20 minutes. The bad news is the last weekday ferry departs Hamilton at 8:30 pm; weekends, 6:00 pm.

Departure times from SG will have to be adjusted if you wanted to make the last ferry from Hamilton.

An option would be to bus to Hamilton and then taxi to the Dockyard.

Is this a CL sponsored excursion?

SBtS

Yes, it would be about 2 hours by bus including any waiting time. Depending on the day your tour is on, the last ferry from St George's is at 5:15 pm or 2:30 pm.

An option for traveling from SG to the Dockyard at night would be to take the route #10 or #11 bus from SG to Hamilton; travel time, about 50 minutes. Last bus from SG departs at 11:45 pm except Sunday when it departs at 10:45 pm.

Walk from the bus terminal to the Hamilton ferry terminal and board the ferry to the Dockyard; travel time, about 20 minutes. The bad news is the last weekday ferry departs Hamilton at 8:30 pm; weekends, 6:00 pm.

Departure times from SG will have to be adjusted if you wanted to make the last ferry from Hamilton.

An option would be to bus to Hamilton and then taxi to the Dockyard.

Is this a CL sponsored excursion?

SBtS

No, just a walking tour I located on a visit Bermuda site. We are overnight Saturday-Sunday and thought this would be cool to do since there is no rush to be back but I'm not certain I want a 2 hour bus ride after a long day in port...

Any other suggestions of things to do would be appreciated. This July will be our first time in Bermuda.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

No, just a walking tour I located on a visit Bermuda site. We are overnight Saturday-Sunday and thought this would be cool to do since there is no rush to be back but I'm not certain I want a 2 hour bus ride after a long day in port...

Any other suggestions of things to do would be appreciated. This July will be our first time in Bermuda.

I checked out the tour (Haunted History, correct?); the ending time is not good unless you are willing to pay for a taxi. Can you get someone from your Roll Call to go with you to help reduce the p/p taxi fare?

There is a "to do" list here.

SBtS

I checked out the tour (Haunted History, correct?); the ending time is not good unless you are willing to pay for a taxi. Can you get someone from your Roll Call to go with you to help reduce the p/p taxi fare?

There is a "to do" list here.

SBtS

Yes, that's it. We have 6 in our group so no worries on needing more people. I just don't want to spend 2 hours on a bus or taxi. Just too long of a drive. Looks like we will likely be hanging out in Hamilton or the dockyard Saturday night. Any suggestions are welcome. Thanks for your help and the list.

Yes, that's it. We have 6 in our group so no worries on needing more people. I just don't want to spend 2 hours on a bus or taxi. Just too long of a drive. Looks like we will likely be hanging out in Hamilton or the dockyard Saturday night. Any suggestions are welcome. Thanks for your help and the list.

A taxi would take about an hour. Faster than a bus. A bus is picking up and dropping off people. Making stops. Taxis can make better time.