Mosquitoes on Bahama Cruise

FamCruise17

Good Morning!

We are sailing on the Disney Dream in two weeks (May 1-May 5). As luck would have it, I just found out that I am pregnant (of course). I've seen the emails about the CDC warnings about Zika in the Bahamas. My plan would be to not get off the ship at all while we are on the cruise. Are there tons of mosquitoes on board? Are the ships sprayed? Is this a real concern? I would love to hear from people who have sailed before or sailed recently. Thank you!!

I've never had a problem with mosquitos or any other insects on board either while in port or at sea. On the other hand, it is certainly possible to be bothered while in port. I can't address what insect sprays may or may not be used by the professionals on the ship. Whatever they do, if anything, I've never had a problem.

Check the CDC website for their recommendations concerning repellants, etc.

I've never had a problem with mosquitos or any other insects on board either while in port or at sea. On the other hand' date=' it is certainly possible to be bothered while in port. I can't address what insect sprays may or may not be used by the professionals on the ship. Whatever they do, if anything, I've never had a problem.

Check the CDC website for their recommendations concerning repellants, etc.[/quote']

Me neither but best to spray a deet based repellent around your ankles if you do get off the ship.

43 cruises and counting.

Thank you all! We do not plan on getting off the boat at any of the ports, so hopefully that helps some. I just want to make sure it's not a rampant problem in the Bahamas.....I don't want to cancel, but Zika is concerning.

You are being very sensible and unselfish because you will miss some nice islands.

43 cruises and counting.

You should definitely look into the on-board port specials. Check the spa for in-port offers - there's often a nice reward for staying on the ship. [emoji106]🏻. A nice day at the spa or relaxing in the quiet and looking out at a beautiful view is not a terrible to spend an afternoon. [emoji51] And I agree, you're doing the right thing. No sense in taking an unnecessary risk.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

You should definitely look into the on-board port specials. Check the spa for in-port offers - there's often a nice reward for staying on the ship. [emoji106]🏻. A nice day at the spa or relaxing in the quiet and looking out at a beautiful view is not a terrible to spend an afternoon. [emoji51] And I agree, you're doing the right thing. No sense in taking an unnecessary risk.

Perfect answer treat yourself you deserve it.

43 cruises and counting.

Wear light coloured clothes with long sleeves and pants. Don't hang around outside after dark. Make sure you leave your balcony (if you have one) closed while in port so you don't accidentally get any visitors in your room. Have a fantastic time.

I cruised while pregnant so if I might offer some other advice. Take along some ginger to nibble for nausea. Tell your room-steward so they know (seriously, if you need something, they can be very helpful). Keep some fresh fruit in your room (get some from the morning buffet). You never know when a light snack will help you.

Lastly don't forget to check the cruise line policy on pregnant travelers and get the paperwork in order well in advance!

Have a great time, and congratulations!

Double check that the spa will treat you though. I've read more than one report that they will refuse pregnant women - those doing the massages and treatments, while they meet certification standards, are NOT trained in prenatal massage.

And yes, that is on the questionnaire you fill out - so you can choose to lie about it and get the treatment, but you'd have no recourse should anything happen because of the treatment.

• 1 month later...

There have long been rumors that the bugs on CC come out at night....but I guess only the people who live there know.

Barry and his family also exist in the snorkel lagoon--I saw one and reported it to a lifeguard who just laughed and said the only problem is that they sometimes get "too friendly" and freak people out. She said that they theorize that the larger fish entered the lagoon as youngsters and grew up there because the safety net should have kept out any larger fish. Yeah, I did my safety reading before my next CC trip.