Anybody done Cunard St. Petersburg ship tours??

bazzaw

I was indeed Bruce. It was the 22 Jun - 6 Jul cruise (Russian Rendezvous II).

J

We cruise together on the QV. I saw your slide show and recognized a photo with the boy standing over top a bridge. That little guy ran the entire boat ride from start to finish he was waiting for us on almost every bridge.

Bruce

We cruise together on the QV. I saw your slide show and recognized a photo with the boy standing over top a bridge. That little guy ran the entire boat ride from start to finish he was waiting for us on almost every bridge.

Bruce

He did indeed- and, as I remember, when we went alongside at the end of the trip, he was waiting with outstretched hand for some financial reward for all his efforts. With entrepreneurial skills like that, he probably owns a couple of English Premier League football clubs by now. :D :D

J

St Petersburg is a fabulous city, do not miss St Isaac's Cathedral and Church of Our Saviour on the Spilled Blood if you can help it, also the Yusupov Palace is a must see. The Catherine Palace is fascinating outside the city and so is Pavlovsk.

We used A**a Tours, based in St Petersburg, in August 2010.

They had organised a group Visa, for ourselves and others from the ship who had also pre-booked with them. We found them on the UK trip advisor site. There were 10 of us in all, and although the Minibus had problems with the air-conditioning, another was found and replaced the original.

They were superb, the two day tour cost a great deal less than the one offered by Cunard (Queen Victoria). We even travelled on the subway - it was a Sunday, so the city was quiet.

The only thing that wasn't so good was the food (Day one)at the Greek Restaurant, the picnic on Day two was fine!

It was hard work, hot (40C), and extremely rewarding; our Guide was a professor at the University, she really knew her stuff!

Twynkle

We also used **** tours. They were excellent in every way. Payment wasnt required until day 2 of the 2-day trip, and we went everywhere in air-conditioned Mercedes van that could park in a small space, which meant no long walks from bus parks!

• 5 years later...

I heard some story' s of passengers who missed the self arranged excursions in st. Petersburg vecause Cunard would not let them of the ship before all cunard excursion passengers had left.

Can someone tell if this is true ??

I heard some story' s of passengers who missed the self arranged excursions in st. Petersburg vecause Cunard would not let them of the ship before all cunard excursion passengers had left.

Can someone tell if this is true ??

I did a Baltic cruise with Holland America and they spent the whole time until we got to St Petersburg telling us we wouldn't be allowed off the ship if we didn't have our own visas. It's not true, as long as you are on an organised tour, the tour company will get you a visa.

I don't see how any cruise company can make you wait. Once the ship is cleared, you can disembark.

If you go on a tour other than a Cunard tour, you have to organise your own visas in advance.

According to the Russian Embassy website, only tours arranged by the ship are covered by the visa waiver programme. It also states that passengers with independent visas can only leave their ships after passengers on tours have disembarked.

According to the Russian Embassy website, only tours arranged by the ship are covered by the visa waiver programme. It also states that passengers with independent visas can only leave their ships after passengers on tours have disembarked.

Can you share the link to the site please ?

Things may have changed since this thread was first started in 2011. That was the year we visited and took a tour organised via our roll call.

The authorised tour companies - eg SPB tours, will obtain the visa for you. You must stay with them the whole time and not wander off on your own. You do not need to book the ship excursion.

"Please note: Russian visas are not necessary when joining an organised shore excursion or booking private arrangements online through the Voyage Personaliser or the Shore Excursion Office on board. The full programme of shore excursions available for your cruise will be displayed on the Voyage Personaliser at least 12 weeks prior to departure. It is a requirement that all guests stay in their excursion group to ensure they comply with visa regulations. Should you choose to visit St Petersburg independently, a visa must be obtained, prior to arrival" copied from http://www.cunard.com/destinations/regions/baltic-norway-fjords-cruises/st-petersburg/

"Please note: Russian visas are not necessary when joining an organised shore excursion or booking private arrangements online through the Voyage Personaliser or the Shore Excursion Office on board. The full programme of shore excursions available for your cruise will be displayed on the Voyage Personaliser at least 12 weeks prior to departure. It is a requirement that all guests stay in their excursion group to ensure they comply with visa regulations. Should you choose to visit St Petersburg independently, a visa must be obtained, prior to arrival" copied from http://www.cunard.com/destinations/regions/baltic-norway-fjords-cruises/st-petersburg/

Yes. That's correct. If you want to DIY then you have to get your own Visa. If you are booking through Cunard or private tour arrangements then Cunard or that private tour (must be one of only 3? I've read of) then they will do the visa for you. They've slightly mixed up the wording above.

Barry,

I've re-created my two original slide shows of the Cunard two day excursion. You will find them here:

http://www.shipworld.org/st-petersburg-cunard-two-day-tour/

I apologise for the lack of detail in the captions but my original notes were lost when the my website went down.

J

Just wandering around the Cunard forum and happened onto this thread and found your pictures. How beautiful! Thank you so much for sharing those!