Explorer LA to Miami Panama Canal Jan 15-30

purpleally

Risky is most definitely still on board and working magic as always in both CR and La Veranda at lunchtime, though Purpleally, I believe it was in La Veranda at breakfast time ?yesterday? (or maybe the day before) you walked past our table and I commented that "oh my...that looks painful". I'm glad you got the treatment promptly - as I understand it, sepsis is not something to take lightly and though the medical bill would undoubtedly be immense, in the words of some advertising executive, "you're worth it" !

(Oh, and I just realised it was Eager2Travel "sitting in your chair" - adjacent to us, on a nearby table for four - I think I spoke to Shel when we arrived?)

Quite agree about requesting the attention of the manager JPR, though it's something we do reluctantly if everyone is doing their best to keep up. But there does come a time when even we chirp up, especially if dh is hungry (when patience is not anyone's strongest suit).

This "sitting in your chair" is really funny to me. We got to know several people that were sitting at "your table" since the two tables are in close proximity. Risky is such a lovely young woman! Unfortunately, she will not be onboard in March when we sail again.

I'm reading your blog and really enjoying it!

UUnetBill

Purpleally,

Sorry to hear about your illness. Your health insurance should cover some of the bill, but this is why it's a good idea to buy TravelGuard or another trip insurance product.

Re Pacific Rim service, you should immediately speak with the restaurant manager onboard. Unacceptablly slow service. Re La Veranda, when it's warm enough we always sit outside. Very pleasant, even for Sette Mari dinner. We avoid eating inside. Re Compass Rose, for a quieter experience, ask for a table in one of the back rooms.

I did buy Travel Guard, thank goodness

The Pacific rim was a one off. Very prompt service tonight

The weather is now nice enough to sit outside. Looking forward to Sette Mari tomorrow

We had the tip for a table in the back. Last night we were ALL the way to the back, in a corner.

Travelcat, I'm so surprised to hear that LaVeranda flowed better for you. Has not been my experience the three times we were there

But the warm weather is here and we will try again tomorrow

No good news in the health update; hopefully tomorrow will be better

Gilly, thanks for coming over to say hello.

I spent most of the day waiting for 6pm waiting for the medical center to open after I realized mid morning that my arm was not only not getting better, but getting much worse.

I was diagnosed with a severe infection and given an IV antibiotic immediately. After thirty minutes she bandaged my arm, wrapped my hand in pink tape. I had to return two more times for two more IV treatments.

That was when the dr told me no sun, no water. What???? I'm on a CRUISE!!!

After the fiasco in LaVeranda yesterday, we went to Compass Rose for breakfast. Great decision! Fresh berries, yogurt not out of the container. Very large portions tho.

After breakfast Bev and I stopped at the spa to ask if we could get manicures at the same time. "Not possible!" I was told by a young man in a haughty tone. This turned out to be a good thing as I rang up $$$$ in medical costs.

To be continued

In all fairness they only have 1 manicurist on board lovely gal Isobella engaged to the fitness. Director Alex. Cute couple

I feel for your pain.. I walked in to the door in the spa one day. Had to have steri strips on the eye and the whole right side of my face was black and blue. Had to wear my sunglasses to all meals for 2 weeks. Was not a pretty sight no one wanted to look at me. Not even me. We had dins on the last night with a couple that racked up$4000. In medical fees. Does not pay to be needing a Dr on a cruise

In all fairness they only have 1 manicurist on board lovely gal Isobella engaged to the fitness. Director Alex. Cute couple

I feel for your pain.. I walked in to the door in the spa one day. Had to have steri strips on the eye and the whole right side of my face was black and blue. Had to wear my sunglasses to all meals for 2 weeks. Was not a pretty sight no one wanted to look at me. Not even me. We had dins on the last night with a couple that racked up$4000. In medical fees. Does not pay to be needing a Dr on a cruise

I understand now there was only one manicurist. My issue was his delivery. All he said was "not possible ". No explanation

I'm at 2500.00 and what the medical center did is not helping; it seems to be worse. Second excursion cancelled today😥

I understand now there was only one manicurist. My issue was his delivery. All he said was "not possible ". No explanation

I'm at 2500.00 and what the medical center did is not helping; it seems to be worse. Second excursion cancelled today😥

Oh dear that is no fun. At least you are in the lap of

luxury while not feeling well

UUnetBill:

Not true about Acapulco. Read the threads on this board. We had a great time at the Pierre Marques Imperial hotel swimming in the ocean and pool and having a delicious Mexican buffet lunch. Also did some nice shopping, using the very strong dollar and weak peso...

JPR - yeah, I'd read those threads - I was trying to make Purpleally feel a little better... ;)

Purpleally, I am so sorry to hear about your bad luck. Like Gilly I think I saw someone with a bandaged arm a few days ago but didn't know that was you. I will keep an eye out so I can say hello. I do hope things start looking up for you.

Gilly, Shel didn't mention you saying hello. I would have said hello.

TC we have had good luck with La Veranda but mainly go for breakfast. Risky leaves on vacation in a few weeks.

They switched hotels in Acapulco from Pierre ******* to the Princess. It was a lovely way to spend some time under a Palapa on a chaise gazing at the ocean. However surf was too rough for us to attempt going in. I didn't mind as I enjoy the beautiful pool on the ship. I felt perfectly safe in Acapulco. After having an armed guard on the bus in Egypt the did not feel at all uncomfortable

Clearly, I've given up on daily postings but I write this from the balcony with my right arm propped up on two pillows in an attempt to reduce the swelling.

Since boarding last Sunday, I have been to the medical center six times, have had five IV bags of medicine, on my third prescribed oral medication, and have cancelled three excursions. Unfortunately, the latest drugs, which I have to take until next Friday, requires me to stay out of the sun. So much for a sunny cruise to get away from Michigan winter!

You would have guessed who I was by now if I were healthy; I walk 10-15 miles a day. I even took off my Fitbit. My friends said they knew I was ill because I wasn't walking. In November, we were on a cruise for 24 days and never once saw the inside of the elevator - this cruise, not the same story.

A few observations from this week:

The doctor and the nurse are wonderful. We all have the same goal- for me to get better. That's a good goal to have

We tried LaVeranda again yesterday morning; first warm day. Sitting outside did not make up for the chaos inside. We have given up the frustration and Compass Rose is our choice for breakfast

P7 is a great place for lunch. The menu, the staff. We will be going for the third time today. Haven't been to Chartreuse for lunch but I need to check out the soups Travelcat mentioned. We are going there tonight

Our room stewardess is amazing. We never see her unless we order wine with room service. She slips in and out while we are gone.

Sailing into Cabo we saw whales and dolphins off our balcony. That was fun

Kept looking when we sailed into Acapulco but no wildlife. The city and all the boats, the pretty water was great, though. And, leaving last night, the lights were beautiful! Lots of stars too. And, a lot of birds followed the ship for awhile. LOTS. I think someone fed them.

Olivia, the assistant cruise director is the sweetest person. She has been presenting a four part series on meditation. What an awesome nap! She asks how I'm doing every time I see her.

Bev, my friend who has only sailed on Seabourn, said the ship is beautiful and her favorite spot is her suite!

I'm enjoying the hot weather because I can sit on the balcony (thankfully we are not on the sunshine side) but with the hot weather it gets cooler inside the ship. I'm sure everyone else is grateful.

The music is a little loud at the Explorer but the trio is very entertaining.

We had a comedian magician twice. I still do not know how he knew the invisible card!

Purpleeally, this is just so unfair for you on this lovely cruise. You are keeping so upbeat and positive in your posts.

Hope this infection gets hit soon with your current regime and you can start to enjoy the Explorer as you had planned. Glad you are carrying on with the ice and elevation which will help tremendously. Get well soon. Jean.

purpleally, thank you for taking the time to give us that wonderful update. We are all hoping that you are 100% healed soon.

Your observation about the Explorer Lounge is of particular interest. It was a problem for us during most of our 30 nights onboard. John Barron was working on it. Now that he is off the ship, it seems that they have resumed the ultra loud noise (note: the request from many passengers was to have the "before dinner" music more like background music.).

I'm beginning to think that our experience in La Veranda was different than yours because we had many sea days and people were not all descending on LV at the same time (as they do before an excursion). We pretty much know when LV will be crowded and avoid it as much as possible.

Good to hear that your Seabourn friend Bev, likes her suite so much. IMO, there is not a ship afloat that has better "deluxe" (or regular) suites than the Explorer (again, discounting the "G" and "H" suites).

Will be anxious to hear your review of Chartreuse. If you have time, check them out at lunch too. As I've mentioned, the chicken with mushroom sauce (comes on the side) is delicious (and I'm not a big chicken lover). What do you think of the presentation of the desserts in P7 at lunch time?

Rest, heal and enjoy watching the sea in the shade.

Your observation about the Explorer Lounge is of particular interest. It was a problem for us during most of our 30 nights onboard. John Barron was working on it. Now that he is off the ship, it seems that they have resumed the ultra loud noise (note: the request from many passengers was to have the "before dinner" music more like background music.).

The music is a little loud at the Explorer but the trio is very entertaining.

The loud music was a problem back in October and November too. The piano music could have been enjoyable, but it was unpleasant because it was amplified and way too loud. Why doesn't the CD or someone in management simply turn the volume down and tell everyone to leave it turned down? This isn't rocket science and requires about 30 seconds of attention to a volume control switch, not months to work on it.

The loud music was a problem back in October and November too. The piano music could have been enjoyable, but it was unpleasant because it was amplified and way too loud. Why doesn't the CD or someone in management simply turn the volume down and tell everyone to leave it turned down? This isn't rocket science and requires about 30 seconds of attention to a volume control switch, not months to work on it.

Agree with you but it is a continuing problem. Nature's Rhythm sound wonderful at a moderated level but not when it is loud. If this remains an issue in March, when we board, we will discuss it again with C.D. John Barron. In the meantime, I suggest that passengers mention this on their Comment Cards and to the current C.D. on board.

Purpleally, you have a wonderful attitude hopefully it will spur along the antibiotic and the healing process. I am enjoying your view of the cruise. Am glad your friends are liking their suite. We are on the same side as you but am sorry to say we missed the whales and dolphins.

We did manage to see some sea turtles as we had breakfast on the balcony this morning. That is a favorite thing for us to do. The service from room service was excellent.

Tonight we too are eating in Chartreuse. I will look for you, Purpleally but am hesitant to bother you at dinner. We had lunch there and some of the dishes were unusual but tasty.

We did find the food area of La Veranda a little chaotic but it was the passengers drifting wherever that made it a bit challenging not the layout. Some appeared a little trancelike.

Now it is time for my mystery book on the chaise and then a swim while everyone else is off at trivia. I guess we are rebels.

Agree with you but it is a continuing problem. Nature's Rhythm sound wonderful at a moderated level but not when it is loud. If this remains an issue in March, when we board, we will discuss it again with C.D. John Barron. In the meantime, I suggest that passengers mention this on their Comment Cards and to the current C.D. on board.

I mentioned it in my comment card which I turned in yesterday morning and Andy left a message for me. We just chatted in the staircase; I do appreciate the follow up Tonight is seven seas society so I won't be in the lounge prior to dinner

Travelcat, we changed our chartreuse reservations to Tuesday. The Compass Rose has miso glazed sea bass and you have raved about that far back to your Oceania cruise and I really wanted to try it!

Maybe we will ask for Ricky's section

Purpleally, you have a wonderful attitude hopefully it will spur along the antibiotic and the healing process. I am enjoying your view of the cruise. Am glad your friends are liking their suite. We are on the same side as you but am sorry to say we missed the whales and dolphins.

We did manage to see some sea turtles as we had breakfast on the balcony this morning. That is a favorite thing for us to do. The service from room service was excellent.

Tonight we too are eating in Chartreuse. I will look for you, Purpleally but am hesitant to bother you at dinner. We had lunch there and some of the dishes were unusual but tasty.

We did find the food area of La Veranda a little chaotic but it was the passengers drifting wherever that made it a bit challenging not the layout. Some appeared a little trancelike.

Now it is time for my mystery book on the chaise and then a swim while everyone else is off at trivia. I guess we are rebels.

Sorry I missed the sea turtles! Bev would have loved that. I was too busy looking out hoping to see 🐳

Changed our chartreuse reservation so I won't see you there. We don't do trivia either so maybe we will bump into each other someday while the gang is playing that

La Veranda is a people issue for sure. Wander here, wander there, start this end, other end, cut in front of people. Wander to the other side because they might have missed something. It's a DUPLICATE! Lol

purpleally, thank you for taking the time to give us that wonderful update. We are all hoping that you are 100% healed soon

Will be anxious to hear your review of Chartreuse. If you have time, check them out at lunch too. As I've mentioned, the chicken with mushroom sauce (comes on the side) is delicious (and I'm not a big chicken lover). What do you think of the presentation of the desserts in P7 at lunch time?

Rest, heal and enjoy watching the sea in the shade.

Thank you for the get well wishes. There are worst places to heal. 😀

Enjoyed P7 dessert presentation very much. Took a pass today tho

BTW we got to see the 'secret" room

Thank you for the get well wishes. There are worst places to heal. 😀

Enjoyed P7 dessert presentation very much. Took a pass today tho

BTW we got to see the 'secret" room

What did you think of the "secret" room? To me it is an elaborate closet. Hopefully it will "secretly" disappear!:D

Purpleally, we wished we'd had lunch in P7 again today instead of the loud and really busy pool grill which is one of the few areas we prefer on the other ships. Here on Explorer, we thought the tables were placed way too close together and we really miss the "outdoor" tables with umbrellas. Sitting in serried ranks of closely packed rectangular tables did not seem very luxurious this lunchtime!

Thanks for the tip off re the sea bass. Though we'd already planned to dine in CR this evening with friends, it was good to spend the afternoon savouring the idea of what's for dinner!!

As for the secret room, well, I've now been shown inside on three separate occasions and don't wish to spend any more time in there at all. I posted a picture on a recent blog post (I think it was the post about Deck 10)

How is your arm today Purpleally? Improving, I hope? (I was hoping to see you around to ask you how you're doing, but our paths didn't cross today)