Explorer LA to Miami Panama Canal Jan 15-30

purpleally

Sharon, if you go back to the first page of this thread and about half way down, I can't remember the post number, but in Gillys post she has a link written in the thread there, you just click on that and it takes you into her blog.

It's really good and she has each day dated and the port written and lots of super photos. Hope you find it ok , Jean.

Here's the link: http://www.elegantsufficiency.org/ :)

Gilly, I am sorry to hear you had a rough ride on the Explorer last night. For those choosing cabins on the Explorer we are on 7 aft and did not feel any motion. And I am not a sound sleeper. Don't know if it was luck or the location.

For those deciding on a butler or not we could not ask for anything more than we get from Nelma our cabin attendant and Albert in room service. And we have had butlers.

Thanks Anne for your updates. It's reassuring to know how all you seasoned Regent travelers have given your honest opinions and how you have liked the ship. Very pleased to know this has been a wonderful cruise . Thanks to you all for taking us along. Regards to you and Shel. Jean.

Anne, it wasn't so bad, but the sliding door definitely needs attention before the next rock and roll session. We were disturbed rather than distressed!

Thanks for sweet comments re my blog. I'm glad it's of interest! I'll complete my walkthrough tomorrow as it's a sea day, though I guess we are getting near to the packing challenge. But let's not go there yet....still three sleeps left.

Gilly, as others have said, your photographs are stunning! It did not occur me that it could be a tight fit for the Explorer while going through the Panama Canal. I read somewhere that transiting the new canal was about $1M (U.S.) which is why most ships go through the old canal.

When we were on board last, since it was for 30 nights, I did spent some time at the "Prayer Wheel" looking at the individual wheels and the sayings on them. This is the most magnificent piece onboard the Explorer (IMO).

While you enjoy the Observation Lounge, we find the Explorer Lounge more to our liking (except during sail away). When the group (Nature's Rhythm) isn't playing with their amplifiers turned up so loud that you can't speak or hear anyone, it is a lovely place to be before dinner. On the nights when it was simply too loud, we went to the Observation Lounge to listen to the lovely piano music.

I'm paying more attention than usual as the Explorer sails towards Los Angeles since we just booked a cruise from Valparaiso to Los Angeles (not until 2019) and will be on a high deck. Perhaps we should think about changing it to a lower deck. I'll see how the rest of your cruise goes in terms of the seas.

The photos of the menus in P7 and Chartreuse made my mouth water. I keep remembering how much we loved the chicken in Chartreuse (as well as their soups). My DH likes the desserts in P7 but I prefer not to be tempted. In many ways I prefer the lunch menus to the dinner menus in both dining venues.

Looking forward to more posts!

This is one of the best blogs I have seen not repetitious and short comments with beautiful photography. Pictures say a thousand words

for sure as is proved on your blog.

I really don't like reading long monologue blogs with no pictures or repetitive routines which become a bloody bore. Your blog is a perfect example how to bring a reader into the ship and off the ship. Very well done!

Gilly, I am sorry to hear you had a rough ride on the Explorer last night. For those choosing cabins on the Explorer we are on 7 aft and did not feel any motion. And I am not a sound sleeper. Don't know if it was luck or the location.

For those deciding on a butler or not we could not ask for anything more than we get from Nelma our cabin attendant and Albert in room service. And we have had butlers.

We didn't have a butler on the first leg of our 2 month cruise but did on the second leg. Frankly our service on the first leg was better. Especially laundry - we got it back the next day if we sent it in the evening . With the butler it always took 2 days. We never knew what to do with him, and he was always hanging around wanting to chat - we do not even chat to each other in the am. Altho he did bring us breakfast every am - so did our cabin steward and he was always on time when the butler seldom was.

We like the Penthouse suite and you get a butler whether you want or need one or not. We would rather not

Thanks, Jean for the regards. It is always nice to know you are following along.

TC, we left Los Angeles and are on our way to Miami. Don't want you to be confused by what we are experiencing. We feel almost no motion on the Explorer.

Thanks - I am definitely thinking of the last Panama Canal crossing instead of this one. We will be in an aft suite in March for the crossing and hope that the motion on the Explorer is less than we experienced when we were in a forward suite. The fact that we'll be on deck 8 instead of 12 is likely a good thing.

This is one ship that I think that I could sail on indefinitely (if I didn't have three kitties to consider).

A little informal meeting of Deck 12 just now, as we begin to rock and roll again. We voted to take our blankies down to the sofas outside the Explorer Lounge when it gets too much !! Or maybe go and camp with you, Anne and Shel... Only joking! But yes, there is a considerable difference in the movement up here and though, as I described earlier, we are disturbed, not distressed, anyone who is seriously affected by heavy seas might think twice (although otherwise, these suites are very well situated and we are pleased with what we were offered....for we had no choice)

I will confess to feeling rather overwhelmed by all the kind comments about my blog. As some of you know, I write it simply for myself, to record the amazing experiences we are so very fortunate to enjoy. I'll admit to a Pollyanna kind of approach to life in general, so I seldom grumble or complain and I definitely choose to overlook some less than positive times. But I try to be fair too.

A great Seven Seas Society event this evening with Andy and Tammy Heath who are utterly charming and the most delightful CD and Hostess. Having seen their double act, I can also say how talented they are too. A real asset to Regent IMHO.

Gilly, like so many other readers, I've enjoyed your posts immensely. As an Australian, your British perspective resonates with a slightly different timbre I can relate to.

The photos of your feet could start a new trend; between the Weilers posting on their World Cruise and you on the Explorer, you're keeping future our cruise hopes open.

At the Captain's Farewell last evening, he shared the usual statistics of nautical miles sailed and so on. Sadly, I didn't have my notebook to hand so couldn't jot them down but a pair of details stuck in my mind for some reason. On this cruise Explorer managed an average of 95ft per gallon of fuel and those of us on board managed to drink an average of two bottles of wine per nautical mile. I didn't check his calculations.

Sunday Brunch in CR today. Miami tomorrow morning.

Who ate anything but caviar? Not us. Dump the blinis and package "toast" and eat it with freshly made hot toasted white bread with a bit of sour cream and a squeeze of lemon. Or on made to order soft scrambled eggs. And perhaps a chilled aquavit. Mmmmmmm.

Who ate anything but caviar? Not us. Dump the blinis and package "toast" and eat it with freshly made hot toasted white bread with a bit of sour cream and a squeeze of lemon. Or on made to order soft scrambled eggs. And perhaps a chilled aquavit. Mmmmmmm.

Are you referring to the Sunday breakfast or the huge Sunday buffet held in C.R.? While we love champagne and caviar, the made to order crepes, lobster, sushi, shrimp, crab, prosciutto, huge array of appetizers, fruits, desserts, etc. were over the top.

The brunch yesterday was quite lavish. Problem, it was Day 14 and we were tired of eating. But there was a crepe station and that was new

Lots and lots of variety of food. So much I forgot to look for the caviar!

They were carving ham and beef, eggs Benedict, omelettes to order

Sushi! Mountains of crab legs and shrimp. An enormous selection of desserts.

Excellent presentation!