Any solo nomads out there?

cruisemom42

I think part of it, too, may just be that we have such a large, geographically (if not culturally) diverse country that there is a lot to see here without going to another country. I know several people who like to travel but whose attitude is "why go to another country when there is so much to see and do in this one."

Hi Bottomfeeder,

We have been on a couple of same TAs. We were even set to go on Tapas tasting in Palma in Nov. You had noted on that roll call...reduced rate for non-alcoholic beverage pkg. I followed & was happy with it.

Going on April Silhouette TA....excursions..Beverage pkg..all full price.

Called Captain's Club, inquiring about % reduction.

Response,"That is another department, they evaluate responses & decide if reductions are in order."

Any notices of reductions on your TA.

Thanks,

Barbara Mc

I think part of it, too, may just be that we have such a large, geographically (if not culturally) diverse country that there is a lot to see here without going to another country. I know several people who like to travel but whose attitude is "why go to another country when there is so much to see and do in this one."

I have heard people say that as well......but there is part of the plan (for me anyway) that cruising gives me more than

other forms of travel. When folks go around the states, I would think most would travel by car/train/etc.....and if you

are going to various places, pack/unpack/find food/ plan tours, etc.......(unless you are going with a tour company) but

there is still the pack/unpack part.

The cruising part is so much of the experience for me. Get on the ship, unpack ONCE and no concerns about hotels/

food/basic logistics.......And the value for my $...........see below.

There are different forms of travel for everyone. I would never begrudge anyone who wants to do a land trip. I was actually

looking at flying to Sonoma and staying at a B&B and seeing the Wine Country for a few days but I had to weigh the

value (FOR ME)........and I feel like a cruise gives me so much more for my dollar.

I have heard people say that as well......but there is part of the plan (for me anyway) that cruising gives me more than

other forms of travel. When folks go around the states, I would think most would travel by car/train/etc.....and if you

are going to various places, pack/unpack/find food/ plan tours, etc.......(unless you are going with a tour company) but

there is still the pack/unpack part.

The cruising part is so much of the experience for me. Get on the ship, unpack ONCE and no concerns about hotels/

food/basic logistics.......And the value for my $...........see below.

There are different forms of travel for everyone. I would never begrudge anyone who wants to do a land trip. I was actually

looking at flying to Sonoma and staying at a B&B and seeing the Wine Country for a few days but I had to weigh the

value (FOR ME)........and I feel like a cruise gives me so much more for my dollar.

You are preaching to the choir here, sister! :)

Totally agree with you.

Hi Bottomfeeder,

We have been on a couple of same TAs. We were even set to go on Tapas tasting in Palma in Nov. You had noted on that roll call...reduced rate for non-alcoholic beverage pkg. I followed & was happy with it.

Going on April Silhouette TA....excursions..Beverage pkg..all full price.

Called Captain's Club, inquiring about % reduction.

Response,"That is another department, they evaluate responses & decide if reductions are in order."

Any notices of reductions on your TA.

Thanks,

Barbara Mc

Hi Barbara!

I have not seen anything about reductions on anything for my cruise this time, either. Except that 10% discount for unlimited internet if you book in advance, which isn't specific to my cruise of course. I haven't booked a drink package yet just in case they decide to do a last-minute discount, but I"m not hopeful. I may not book one at all since I can carry some soda and bottled water to the port since I'm driving--still trying to decide about that and whether I'd miss my several-double-lattes-a-day habit too much!

I was going to book the Silhouette myself but a work commitment combined with the fact that my passport would expire less than 6 months after the Silly cruise ended and I was worried that I didn't have time to renew in advance, pushed me onto the Eclipse TA. I'm looking forward to visiting London again though!

Hope you enjoy your cruise!

Barb

Thanks for the speedy reply! I also held off on booking excursions, to see what happens.

The beverage pkg was good for water/ Cafe al Bacio. But not for $18 per day!

In Nov. I was on the ship before 10..eager to book the Unlimited Meal pkg. Learned it was discontinued..but they sold me 12 nights..(.lunches included ) $312. It was wonderful!

One night a friend joined me in Tuscan..one night we ate in MDR.

I ate early to free up table for others/later. Staff were very attentive...I smiled and "shook hands with them". Think we all were happy.

Now...meal plan just has dinners ....lunches are not included. (Meaning you can't do both unless you use lunch as part of your meal plan)

Have a good cruise!

Barbara Mc

I'm in my early 40's, but started traveling solo in my late 20's/early 30's. It really started that I was itching to get out of town and none of my friends were able to go with me, so I just went by myself and the rest is history! Traveling solo has become very normal for me. I choose to go it alone most of the time……it's just easier for me. No waiting on others, I can decompress and relax and just enjoy and go about my own pace. I'm social, but also introverted, and I need a lot of alone time to mentally "rest". I've cruised solo once, and am going on my second at the end of this year. I've done tons of land based solo travel all over…Europe, Disney World, USA. Disney is awesome by the way, as a solo you can really enjoy the parks…no kids, so fun!

It's so easy going alone, that when you travel with another person it's an adjustment, at least for me.

• 2 weeks later...
Hi! Did you get your condo in a location that makes it easy to go cruising?

I just asked since my condo in Boward puts me midway between Miami and Fort Lauderdale which has made it a great jump off point for get a cruise,

I'm considering a condo in Fort Lauderdale for my retirement (unfortunately not any time soon....). My parents and grandparents lived there at various times so I'm very familiar.

What do you like about it (in regards to cruising and also to other travel -- specifically the airports)?

Lois... just jumping in to say HI....

Hope all is going well for you...

all is well here... divorce is final... I just bought a condo

and am starting to sail solo....

sending best wishes out to you...

Lorraine

Hi Lorraine:) good to see you......and best wishes right back at you too.

I'm in my early 40's, but started traveling solo in my late 20's/early 30's. It really started that I was itching to get out of town and none of my friends were able to go with me, so I just went by myself and the rest is history! Traveling solo has become very normal for me. I choose to go it alone most of the time……it's just easier for me. No waiting on others, I can decompress and relax and just enjoy and go about my own pace. I'm social, but also introverted, and I need a lot of alone time to mentally "rest". I've cruised solo once, and am going on my second at the end of this year. I've done tons of land based solo travel all over…Europe, Disney World, USA. Disney is awesome by the way, as a solo you can really enjoy the parks…no kids, so fun!

It's so easy going alone, that when you travel with another person it's an adjustment, at least for me.

I totally relate to this. I am in my late 40's now and started traveling solo in my late 20's. Just got to a point where my friends either had no money to travel or were coupled up and unwilling to travel without their sweetie. So far my luck with boyfriends that like to travel and/or are good to travel with is nonexistent. I did not grow up in a family that traveled or ever encouraged it, even now. Call me the rebel but it is something I have always wanted to do no matter how much people roll their eyes and judge. Whether land based or cruise, I love to see the world as often as I can. Leaving in two weeks for my third solo cruise and can't wait!

Hi! Did you get your condo in a location that makes it easy to go cruising?

I just asked since my condo in Boward puts me midway between Miami and Fort Lauderdale which has made it a great jump off point for get a cruise,

Hi Earl, Lorraine was living in the Tri-state area.........so that would be closer to Bayonne/New York. I am pretty sure her

condo is in that part of of the country (rather than in Florida).

I totally relate to this. I am in my late 40's now and started traveling solo in my late 20's. Just got to a point where my friends either had no money to travel or were coupled up and unwilling to travel without their sweetie. So far my luck with boyfriends that like to travel and/or are good to travel with is nonexistent. I did not grow up in a family that traveled or ever encouraged it, even now. Call me the rebel but it is something I have always wanted to do no matter how much people roll their eyes and judge. Whether land based or cruise, I love to see the world as often as I can. Leaving in two weeks for my third solo cruise and can't wait!

Have a wonderful time:).....my folks (both gone now) loved to travel and I think I got part of my love for it from them:D