Can you walk from the ship to Wakiki beach

angelbearmom

A quick look at a mapping program would reveal the closest point of Waikiki (Waikiki is not just one spot) to the cruise docks is about 3 miles, along busy main streets, in 80 degree temps, most likely.

So, with the data, you decide if you can walk it. Some people can, some can't. Only you know...we don't know you.

Don't try walking! It seems easy but it's a looooooonnnnnnngggggg walk! And if you stop at the pink palace for one of their world famous Mai tai's you won't be able to walk anyway. Take it from one who's been there and done that ;)

Happy sails

~ Liz

Sent from my iPad using Forums

Just wondering about how far to Wakiki beach from the cruise ship terminal.

It is pretty far to walk. You could take lyft, Uber, or the bus though.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums mobile app

thanks for the replies. Are the buses or taxis wheelchair accessible? What is near to the port?

Yes. It would be helpful to find out where you'll be docked, as it's a humongous port. But a bus s/b accessible from anywhere. The link below is one of many resources to help you plan.

http://cruiseportwiki.com/Honolulu

Sent from my Nexus 6P using Tapatalk

thanks for the replies. Are the buses or taxis wheelchair accessible? What is near to the port?

We think the cruise you are doing is a wonderful thing, but just as a FYI do know that the Honolulu area alone has a population of over 400,000. It is a busy people-filled and traffic-filled area. Would the disabled woman you are traveling with be able to tolerate this type of atmosphere?

I'm not sure how she'd be able to manage the crowds and such. I'm trying to find out info about feasibility of seeing things ahead of time so everyone's expectations of the port are reasonable. The person in the wheelchair would be happy with easily reached shopping. But I have a younger person coming who thinks we just walk off the ship onto a beach and that's all she wants to do. I'm concerned about the heat too. That's why I'm asking now. There are no wheelchair accessible excursions that are what is interesting for anyone at that port. We'd hoped for an easily reached beach.

The Honolulu buses are wheelchair accessible. Your distance to Waikiki will also vary depending on where your ship docks: Pier 11 (Aloha Tower) or Pier 2 (primarily NCL). The closest buses to Aloha Tower require a transfer to get to Waikiki (57 bus, the 8 bus) and then a 5-10 minute walk to the beach. From Pier 2, it is about a 5 minute walk to the 20 bus, and then a 5-10 minute walk to the beach. I think a cab or Uber/Lyft would be better.

All 400,000 residents of Honolulu are not lining the streets and beaches of Waikiki. I have seen many individuals in wheelchairs enjoying Waikiki. My suggestion would be for the person who wants to spend the day on the beach to cab it to the Outrigger Waikiki or Moana Surfrider, enjoy the beach and later have the others, who do not want a beach day, to join them. Prior to going to Waikiki the others could do a tour of the Iolani Palace and then join the beach goers for lunch/dinner and music. The evening music at the Banyan Court at the Moana Surfrider is wonderful. There is shade, good food, good drinks, Waikiki in the background, and a fabulous experience. JMO Cherie p.s. Just don't worry about the bus, get a cab or an uber.

Another suggestion for those not wanting a beach day is the Honolulu Museum of Art's tour to Shangri La, Doris Duke's home in a beautiful ocean front spot near Diamond Head. You would need to get to the museum where they have a small van that transports you to Shangri La. In addition to Pearl Harbor, the Iolani Palace and Shangri La are two of my favorite places to take visitors in Honolulu. I'm not a shopper so spending the day in a shopping mall in Honolulu is not something I can comment on. Cherie