Hello Everyone, Planning for 2020

ScotsLady

Hi there, planning my big birthday trip in 2020 and I want to do PG cruise. We are from U.K. So I know it will be a long trip via LA.

What is the weather like in OCtober in FP?

We would plan to stay pre or post cruise I noticed someone says Moorea is good. Can anyone else recommend a resort in that area or Bora Bora or Tahiti. Just trying to get my head round everything so when time comes to start booking I will know what I want to do.

Hi there, planning my big birthday trip in 2020 and I want to do PG cruise. We are from U.K. So I know it will be a long trip via LA.

What is the weather like in OCtober in FP?

We would plan to stay pre or post cruise I noticed someone says Moorea is good. Can anyone else recommend a resort in that area or Bora Bora or Tahiti. Just trying to get my head round everything so when time comes to start booking I will know what I want to do.

October is fine, the earlier in the month the better. One of our favorite times to go to FP.

Moorea is a great choice, it's so accessible from Tahiti and the ferry terminal is 150 yards away from the Paul Gauguin so it just makes great sense to head to Moorea for pre/post cruise stays.

If your going to have 3 or more days pre/post get off of Tahiti. If it's only for a day or two stay at the IC Tahiti, still considered the Grande Dame of Tahiti's Resorts though there are a few other choices some will support.

On Moorea the big dogs are:

1. Intercontinental Moorea - great sprawling resort, easy to find plenty to do from Dolphin Quest, to the turtle sanctuary, a beautify inner lagoon with shade and hammocks, the pools are some of the nicest on Moorea. Great for families.

2. Hilton Moorea - wonderful resort, best for OWB as the garden rooms can be close together. Best snorkeling of the major resorts. Small beach but very nice. A few inexpensive places to eat within walking distance.

3. Sofitel - most French influence, nice view of Tahiti, best for beach front rooms though there garden and OWB are nice. Nice gardens ... most isolated of the major resorts which makes it tough to grab a reasonable priced meal or head to the store for goodies. Snorkeling is good.

4. Manava Beach Resort - usually most reasonable of the big 4. Close to a main village for other eating options and shopping. Very personable staff, The resort can feel crammed compared to the other big 4. Snorkeling is only so so.

As you can see each major resort has the pluses and minuses. Depending on your own personal taste pick accordingly. I've stayed all all four so I can give a balanced/accurate review.

wow...you do plan early (I don't even buy green bananas). Agree with above post Oct is great month, better early or mid month. 3 nights or more precruise go to Moorea- IC but if just 1/2 nights stay at IC Tahiti....

You might consider staying in Los Angles a night or two in order to recovery from your long Atlantic/transcontintenental flight. Also, you might consider using the money spent on a pre or post cruise stay to make a your PG cruise longer and see more. We have on both with somewhat disappointing experiences. French Polynesia is expensive and customer service is not a strength in this area. Paul Gauguin gives great service and value considering that you are out in the middle of the Pacific. The time given for each detestation is usually enough to enjoy that particular island or at least get an over view of it.

We have cruised in late October, November and December and have found them pleasant times to visit. Very little rain to mess things up and the temperature pleasant. However, we are from California and have a warmer climate than the UK. Maybe a Canadian can give an opinion on the climate.

No matter when you go, you will enjoy a wonderful cruise with a special crew! We will be on our 9th PG cruise so I think that speaks for ourselves!

I would definitely plan on an overnight stay in L.A. if you're coming from the U.K. We always do this, and we're only coming from Toronto. IT also gives you peace of mind that you won't miss your flight to Tahiti.

I haven't stayed at any of the big resorts on Moorea, so can't comment. We have stayed at a smaller hotel, Les Tipaniers, and will stay there again this October!!

(As an aside, can someone confirm that there will still be whale-watching in Moorea in early October?)

Thanks everyone very helpful. I think we will stay a few days in LA as we have friends there. Will wait and see what cruises are on offer when they are released, my birthday is 10th October so would like to be aboard for it if possible.

I like to plan ahead, just booked a cruise for March 2019'in Caribbean, nice to have things to look forward to.

I heard the peak of whale watching is between the middle of September to the middle of October, best chance if you wanted to swim with them.

Oh, don't need to swim them really. Just wondered if they would still be there. I've seen them in September, but thought we might try again since they are endlessly fascinating.

I too am looking at 2020. Not sure whether I will be going to Tahiti that year. Not sure about 2019 either. Hoping to go in January but not sure.

Will definitely not be returning in 2018. Sad, but the bucket list must be completed by 2018 and year 65!