Ground Transport in Boston

Hi, I need a little advice. Booked our Bermuda cruise next May. Managed to get a hotel for pre-nights after a bit of a struggle due to Mother's Day weekend and Graduations in the area during the month of May. Finally got reservations at the Harborside Inn near Faneuil Hall, which I found the most reasonable choice of the hotels directly downtown in the area I wanted to stay in. Some hotels wanted $500-700 per night, if they even had a room available and this is 8 months away! Holland America's hotel suggestion in Copley Square was a no-go due to the outrageous price they were demanding (I can't even say it without choking - even my travel agent was shocked and she used to work for a major hotel chain!) Anyway.....

Now I need advice on getting from the airport to the downtown hotel and from the hotel to the pier (Black Falcon Cruise Terminal?) and again on a post night stay from the hotel back to the airport. I am discovering that the taxi fares are a wee bit high, but that is to be expected I guess. Any advice on shuttle services? We are not young and spry and don't want to deal with buses or the "T". There are many shuttle services listed and I just don't know which ones are good ones.

Any tips you can give me would be appreciated. Thank you very much.

Funny you mention Boston as we just disembarked there this past Saturday (Voyage of the Vikings Cruise). You are right that Boston hotel prices have become ridiculous....but such is that state of hotel prices in many large cities. Our suggestion would be to simply use UBER to get from your hotel to the Black Falcon Terminal. The cost will be less then $15. Otherwise you can simply take a taxi (it will cost a little more then Uber ). Boston has plenty of Uber drivers (most of the time you will not wait more then 3 min for a car) and taxis are plentiful.

One reason we love Uber is that you know the price before you even summon the car (this is all displayed right on the app). If you get stuck in a traffic jam while using a taxi, that meter just keeps running. But the Uber price is fixed so you do not assume the risk of traffic delays.

Hank

LInda, Boston is a costly city and as you discovered, it is good you started early to get a hotel booking. at graduation time. We have so many colleges and universit ies in the city and near environs, most families of graduating s tudents know to book hotels early as the city fills up and we have lots of hoetls. Graduation time in Boston is busy, busy, busy. I would hop any taxi at the airport but don't do uber.

We used Uber from the airport to our hotel near Boston Commons this week, it was also less than $15. Look for signs in the airport directing you to the "Ride App/TPN Lot". Once you're there you can summon your ride and have an easily accessible place to locate each other.

Sent from my iPad using Forums

Hi, which shuttle services are you looking at and have they quoted you a price?

A taxi from the airport to the hotel is less than $25. Taxi from your hotel to the cruise terminal about the same.

Uber prices have been stated above.

I have ridden in a variety of taxis in Boston, and used Uber in major US cities (although not Boston) and both have their advantages. If you haven't used Uber before, they offer a promo code and your first ride is free.

One thing about Uber is how much luggage do you have? There are UberX and UberXL choices you can make (XL meaning a larger car) depending upon the number of passages and amount of luggage.

You can check for reviews on shuttle services for Boston online or work with your TA if you want to use a shuttle.

You sound organized and enjoy the planning portion of a trip, so whatever you choose will work.

Have a great cruise!

Hi, I need a little advice. Booked our Bermuda cruise next May. Managed to get a hotel for pre-nights after a bit of a struggle due to Mother's Day weekend and Graduations in the area during the month of May. Finally got reservations at the Harborside Inn near Faneuil Hall, which I found the most reasonable choice of the hotels directly downtown in the area I wanted to stay in. Some hotels wanted $500-700 per night, if they even had a room available and this is 8 months away! Holland America's hotel suggestion in Copley Square was a no-go due to the outrageous price they were demanding (I can't even say it without choking - even my travel agent was shocked and she used to work for a major hotel chain!) Anyway.....

Now I need advice on getting from the airport to the downtown hotel and from the hotel to the pier (Black Falcon Cruise Terminal?) and again on a post night stay from the hotel back to the airport. I am discovering that the taxi fares are a wee bit high, but that is to be expected I guess. Any advice on shuttle services? We are not young and spry and don't want to deal with buses or the "T". There are many shuttle services listed and I just don't know which ones are good ones.

Any tips you can give me would be appreciated. Thank you very much.

We live in downtown Boston and use UBER all the time to both the cruiseport and the airport.

Sent from my iPad using Forums

Lyft is good alternative to Uber - their peek time pricing isn't quite as shocking. However, if you need to wake up in the morning, or just long for an old school "E Ticket" ride experience, I'd definitely recommend the taxi cab - I've had some real white knuckle experiences in Boston cabs!

T here was a list of shuttle services and I tried looking up their reputations and some were questionable to me (no website to check them out) from what I remember. I did look up GOBoston Shuttle and their price was not much lower than a taxi cab. I was familiar with Logan Express, it is what I used when I lived out in the western suburbs of Boston during the 80's - and I know they are okay to use if you are commuting back and forth to the airport from the suburbs, but didn't see much info on downtown pickup/drop off. Out West they have Super Shuttle in many locations and I found them to be good but I didn't see them in Boston, unless I missed it. So I am assuming a cab it will be unless I learn how to use Uber (I have the app, just haven't tried it yet here in Charlotte). Some folks love Uber, others don't so I guess it depends on individual experiences/opinions. One of these days I am going to try it out and see how it works....at least here in CLT. It will be a learning experience! Thank you all for your input, it is appreciated.

Agree with the Lyft comment...in fact we have both Lyft and Uber apps on our phones. But for those with AMEX Platinum cards, you get a $15 per month credit for Uber. So, for example, when we were in Boston last Saturday (coming off the VOV cruise) we summoned an Uber car to get us to our rental car facility (on Atlantic Ave). The Uber charge was about $9....but because of the AMEX credit we got the ride for free.

In our experience, most folks we have met that had issues with Uber and Lyft had never even used the services or even had accounts. We have found Uber cars a lot cleaner (and often nicer) then taxis and the drivers are normally very friendly (they want a good rating). When there are long taxi queues at ports, our Uber (or Lyft) car will usually show-up within minutes...and we avoid the queue. You also know who the driver is and see their picture and there is a record. Our DD lives in NYC where she and her DH use Uber on a daily basis...which they find a lot nicer (and less expensive) then taxis.

Hank

T here was a list of shuttle services and I tried looking up their reputations and some were questionable to me (no website to check them out) from what I remember. I did look up GOBoston Shuttle and their price was not much lower than a taxi cab. I was familiar with Logan Express, it is what I used when I lived out in the western suburbs of Boston during the 80's - and I know they are okay to use if you are commuting back and forth to the airport from the suburbs, but didn't see much info on downtown pickup/drop off. Out West they have Super Shuttle in many locations and I found them to be good but I didn't see them in Boston, unless I missed it. So I am assuming a cab it will be unless I learn how to use Uber (I have the app, just haven't tried it yet here in Charlotte). Some folks love Uber, others don't so I guess it depends on individual experiences/opinions. One of these days I am going to try it out and see how it works....at least here in CLT. It will be a learning experience! Thank you all for your input, it is appreciated.

I have to change train stations in Boston in a few weeks. I don't know if I'll use a taxi or Uber. If I use Uber, I'll try to remember to come back and tell you how it worked for us. I've used Uber in Ft Lauderdale, Seattle, New York, and even "old" York (UK), and had only one bad experience (in Seattle, where the driver didn't show up). I like that you see the price up front and you don't need to use cash. It goes to the credit card you register with them.

Good idea to try it out locally so you get used to how it works before you're managing luggage and the stress of being away from home.

One suggestion for Uber newbies. Their app is excellent, will show you a picture of your driver and give you the make and model of their car. The app also allows you to track the location of your car as it nears your location. But when you are in a crowded area (such as a Port) it can be difficult for the Uber Driver to find you...plus they have no idea what you look like. But along with their picture you also get the driver's cell phone number...and if we think there will be a problem hooking-up, we simply call the driver and discuss an exact pick-up spot.

Hank

One suggestion for Uber newbies. Their app is excellent, will show you a picture of your driver and give you the make and model of their car. The app also allows you to track the location of your car as it nears your location. But when you are in a crowded area (such as a Port) it can be difficult for the Uber Driver to find you...plus they have no idea what you look like. But along with their picture you also get the driver's cell phone number...and if we think there will be a problem hooking-up, we simply call the driver and discuss an exact pick-up spot.

Hank

In many cases, we've been called by the driver when he/she is a minute away (Dial 7 in NY always does that, too). I always tell them what color shirts or jackets we're wearing and if it's a downtown area, what shop or restaurant we're in front of. I like that Uber tells you the license plate as well as the kind of car. It's a good idea to check the plate--I've heard reports of people getting into the wrong car. :eek: