Help

ggeobess

We will be going on a River Cruise in September and flying into Munich, Germany. There is no shuttle from airport to our hotel. Does anyone out there have any advice on the best and cheapest way to get to the city? How about UBER instead of regular taxi....anyone use UBER out in Germany? Thanks for any help you can give......

We will be going on a River Cruise in September and flying into Munich, Germany. There is no shuttle from airport to our hotel. Does anyone out there have any advice on the best and cheapest way to get to the city? How about UBER instead of regular taxi....anyone use UBER out in Germany? Thanks for any help you can give......

I highly doubt Uber is allowed in Germany due to a lot of restrictions, I could be wrong however. (I've only used taxis in Germany and Austria) I would imagine the S-bahn or train to the main station and then a streetcar from there that would go to your hotel. At which hotel are you staying? That information would be easier to tell you how to get there.

There is no shuttle from airport to our hotel. Does anyone out there have any advice on the best and cheapest way to get to the city?
If you're staying at a hotel in the city, then it's hardly a surprise that there's no shuttle. But unless you say which hotel you're staying at, it's hard to give specific advice.

There are taxis. What's wrong with them?

And there is the S-Bahn. What would be wrong with that? Some information here: http://www.mvv-muenchen.de/en

And as another starting point, this page will give you information on all the options: http://www.toandfromtheairport.com/munich.html

The most simple way is to use the local train (S-Bahn). The Munich airport is built like the letter "H" with Lufthansa using one side (terminal 2) , most other airlines the other side (terminal 1) and with the S-Bahn terminus in the middle (Airport center). Just use the moving walkways and follow the signs to the S-Bahn. There is a info point opposite the escalator down to the train, where you can buy a ticket if you don't want to use a ticket machine.

Its a rather long trip to town center (41 min) so a single ticket (Einzelfahrkarte - Gesamtnetz) will cost you 10.80 Euro. If you want to use stripe cards (Streifenkarte, sold 10 for 13 Euro), its 4 zones for a total of 8 stripes per person = 10.40 Euro. If you are three or more (or even just two if you also want to use public transport later that day) I highly recommend buying a group day ticket for the whole net (Gruppentageskarte - Gesamtnetz) for 22.30 Euro which gives 5 adults ( kids 6-14 equals 1/2 adult so for example 3 adults + 4 kids can use a single ticket) access to the extensive S-Bahn, Subway (U-bahn), tram and bus net for the whole day.

Use S-8 to get into the city (Hauptbahnhof). The airport is the terminus so you cannot go the wrong way. S-1 will also take you to the city but will take a slightly longer way.

Also, when buying a ticket, double check if it should be validated in a machine or not. A few months ago I bought a day ticket in a ticket machine at Haubtbahnhof only to find out it was too wide for the slot to be validated. So I had to ask at the info point to be sure that ticket did not had to be validated (regardless what the MVV website said).

Also see:

http://www.mvv-muenchen.de/en/homepage/index.html

http://www.munich-airport.de/en/consumer/anab/bahn/index.jsp

Edited by Ultima Thule