Courtyard Coral Gables vs Residence Inn Doral

lasvegascruising

I have two places picked out for my one night stay before I cruise in November. Both offer airport shuttle as I am arriving at 5pm the night before the cruise(flying into Miami). Does anyone out there in Cruise Critic Land have a thought on either of these? Courtyard Coral Gables on Le Jeune Road or Residence Inn Miami Airport West/Doral NW 91st Avenue in Doral. I have never flown into Miami or stayed in a hotel in Miami. Just wondering which of these would be a better choice. They are about the same price. I really just need a decent place with maybe a place to walk to for dinner. I will uber to the port in the morning. Help me decide!!

You will be able to walk to all of the restaurants on Miracle Mile if you stay at the Courtyard in Coral Gables because you are only about 4 blocks away.

The Residence Inn is in a more desolate area. I've been over there twice because of the US Southern Command Military Post. There was not too much to walk to that I remember and it's not an area that I would want to walk around in.

I don't know anything but either of the hotels personally, just the areas. Based on location, I would chose the Courtyard in Coral Gables hands down.

Thank you cjskids and Langoustine. Solid opinions, exactly what I was hoping for. I kinda thought Coral Gables would be the better location and it looks like it is closer to the port. I really appreciate you both taking the time to answer my question.

You are welcome. I live in Miami and I'm over in the Coral Gables area all the time and love it. You will have some really nice restaurants to pick from.

Coral Gables will have much, much more to do. Nobody likes Doral, though that would work for a simple overnight stay next to the airport. But if you would really like to get out and walk, Gables by a mile.

Gables, hands down. Tons of restaurants, shopping, becoming very upscale. Doral, not so much, plus Doral is right in the flight path to MIA. Doral is more of a 'warehouse' district. We lived in South Miami for the past 23 years and DH grew up in Coral Gables. Went to CG Elementary and CG High. Choose the Gables over any other place in Miami if you have the option.

I want to thank you both, BNBR and Diver2014, for also responding to my question. It really helps to hear from folks who live in the area. Since I have never stayed in Miami, I really had no idea where would be a good area to get a room for the night(that is why I just went with properties that included airport shuttle service in the room rate). I would really like to stay downtown but the room rates for my November 3 night are higher than I want to pay. Thanks again!