Cruise train anchorage to seward

manteonc

I am taking the Holland America booked cruise train to get from Anchorage to Seward to begin my cruise. Not much out there that I could find on tips or suggestions. Has anyone ridden in the last few years? I would appreciate any recommendations on side of the train to request (although I understand it may not be honored), food and drinks on board, or just tips and suggestions in general. Also would enjoy just hearing about your experiences on this particular train. Thank you!

I am taking the Holland America booked cruise train to get from Anchorage to Seward to begin my cruise. Not much out there that I could find on tips or suggestions. Has anyone ridden in the last few years? I would appreciate any recommendations on side of the train to request (although I understand it may not be honored), food and drinks on board, or just tips and suggestions in general. Also would enjoy just hearing about your experiences on this particular train. Thank you!

We did the same trip in 2014, it was on Alaska Railway and the seats faced each other on both sides of the train car, one facing forward and one facing back. Really doesn't matter which side but you may want to get the forward facing seats. The conductor slows the train when approaching wildlife or Glaciers which gives passengers time to stand for pictures. Our trip from Anchorage to Seward was about 5 hours+ and Lunch was served for a cost. All in all a nice trip.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

We were on the cruise train in June, and I don't recall the scenery being better on one side or the other - we were on the right hand side, facing forward. When we went to lunch, we were seated on the opposite side with rear facing seats. It was all good.

A HAL representative with laptop came through the train cars to check us in and gave us our ship cards - very efficient and convenient! That meant that we just had to go through security after leaving the train and then straight onto the ship. If you are on the right hand side of the train, you will see the ship waiting for you as the train arrives in Seward.

I just did the train as a northbound following a cruise. Our seats were assigned and the trip was under 5 hours.

There were 2 crew members assigned to our car. The "hostess/narrator" was young but did a great job telling us about scenic areas and when to snap a picture.

The trip was efficient in that we had our bus numbers before we got into Anchorage.

I did order breakfast and it was a rather small portion and fairly pricey.

You can walk car to car and go to the dining car for additional food.

Enjoy your train ride!

Patti

All helpful information, thank you! Especially glad I can walk around, go to a bar car, etc. So, I will already be checked in for the ship and have my room key card before getting off the train? Now that is nice. Thank you all.

I did this train in July although it was on Celebrity. Different days for different ships. You first check in for the train at the Egan Center near the Visitors Center in Anchorage. Then at a specific time, a bus takes you to the train station which is actually at the airport. There you get your train tickets and have assigned seats so if you are in a group be sure you all get your seats together.

As others have said there are two attendants per car. The menu is limited but not bad. I had the seafood chowder in a bread bowl and it was really good.

That's great that HAL checks you in for the ship while on the train and gives you your cards. Celebrity does it at the dock.

The ride is very nice and the time passes quickly. You are really in the middle of Alaskan scenery and we did see some wildlife. It was a lovely way to arrive at the pier.

The only advantage I see to which side of the train is better you have NO control over. It is wildlife and they go where they want to. So, one trip the right side might be better and the next trip the left side. Sometimes neither side is particularly good for wildlife sightings. No way to predict this - it is "luck of the draw".

• 2 weeks later...

We were told by our TA that we could just check in for the HAL cruise train (Anchorage to Seward) at the airport, rather than at Egan Center. That would be more convenient for us, since we will need to return our rental car at the airport.

Has anyone else just checked in at the airport?

Edited by sandyss

• 8 months later...

I was told that the train departs the new airport railroad station at 12:30 pm and arrives in Seward at 5:30 pm. You can either check in for the train at the airport or at the Egan center downtown. We were told to check in at the airport around 11:00 am. Since we reserved through, and paid, HAL directly for this cruise transfer, I believe that it is completely separate from the regularly scheduled Alaska railroad trains.

I was told that the train departs the new airport railroad station at 12:30 pm and arrives in Seward at 5:30 pm. You can either check in for the train at the airport or at the Egan center downtown. We were told to check in at the airport around 11:00 am. Since we reserved through, and paid, HAL directly for this cruise transfer, I believe that it is completely separate from the regularly scheduled Alaska railroad trains.

Thanks. Yes, from what I’ve read on the Alaska Railroad website their “regular” train leaves Anchorage around 7:00am to Seward. Now I need to find out whether we board at the downtown location or airport. We’ll be staying the night prior to the transfer at a hotel through HAL. Will check with the TA on that one!