Terror attack today in Barcelona

cowboygene

**UPDATE as of 9pm GMT+1 - Aug 17th 2017** -remember, as I said, information is fluid and changes rapidly.

- So far 13 deceased, 80 injured: 15 seriously, 23 less seriously and 42 minor injuries

- ISIS/DAESH has just confirmed the authorship of this attack

- 1 perpetrator in custody, 1 dead in a shoot out and 1 at large. The dead person is not clear still whether he's related to the incident. A white car has jumped a road control out of the city and after a short chase there has been a shooting between the driver and the Police resulting in the driver being killed. While it's likely to be related -guns are rare here- it could be unrelated to the terror attack.

- People confined in the restaurants and shops of the area are now starting being evacuated.

- In Carrer Llacuna there's a Crisis Center in place for friends and family of the victims and injured.

- Injured people has been transferred to the following hospitals (ER phones included): Hospital del Mar (+34 932 483 011/+34 932 483 012), Hospital Clinic (+34 932 275 400), Hospital Sant Pau (+34 935 537 600) and Hospital Vall d'Hebron (+34 932 746 100/+34 934 893 000/+34 932 746 000)

- Asking Barcelonians please DO NOT continue flooding the hospitals. No more blood is needed for the time being.

Thanks Enric for these useful information!

Enviado desde mi XT1032 mediante Tapatalk

**UPDATE as of 9pm GMT+1 - Aug 17th 2017** -remember, as I said, information is fluid and changes rapidly.

- So far 13 deceased, 80 injured: 15 seriously, 23 less seriously and 42 minor injuries

- 1 perpetrator in custody, 1 dead in a shoot out and 1 at large. The dead person is not clear still whether he's related to the incident. A white car has jumped a road control out of the city and after a short chase there has been a shooting between the driver and the Police resulting in the driver being killed. While it's likely to be related -guns are rare here- it could be unrelated to the terror attack.

- People confined in the restaurants and shops of the area are now starting being evacuated.

- In Carrer Llacuna there's a Crisis Center in place for friends and family of the victims and injured.

- Injured people has been transferred to the following hospitals (ER phones included): Hospital del Mar (+34 932 483 011/+34 932 483 012), Hospital Clinic (+34 932 275 400), Hospital Sant Pau (+34 935 537 600) and Hospital Vall d'Hebron (+34 932 746 100/+34 934 893 000/+34 932 746 000)

- Asking Barcelonians please DO NOT continue flooding the hospitals. No more blood is needed for the time being.

I guess after what is going on today I should not care how long it takes to get thru the airport. Makes me think what is really important. I will continue to pray for everyone there. Good luck.

Our hearts and prayers are with the incredible people in Barcelona... we are saddened by this hate-filled tragedy. Barcelona is one of our most favorite places on earth with the culture, people and the overall feeling of living!... we will be there in a little over three weeks from now sailing in on the Westerdam... we are determined to not allow hate to stop the joy of travel experiences ...

thank you, Enric, for the updates. I, too, am looking forward to sailing from Barcelona in a few weeks. Thinking so much about everyone involved and that things get cleared up quickly for everyone. It's no fun to live in fear...So excited to visit your city :) It sounds so lovely.

We have a new rule when it comes to walking while on vacation - we will only walk on the side of the street facing the oncoming traffic. At the end of the day it still may not be enough, but we at least get a chance at seeing what's coming.

Our daughter sails from Barcelona tomorrow on her honeymoon. She and her new husband spent this afternoon hiding in a store on Las Ramblas and were safely evacuated out by the police. I specifically told her not to go on that street because it's fish in a fishbowl. Of course, she ignored me.

I agree that you can't live in fear, but I know we will modify our behavior when traveling. The world has gone crazy, and crowded places are not for me and mine anymore. No way, no how. There but for the grace of God....

We have a new rule when it comes to walking while on vacation - we will only walk on the side of the street facing the oncoming traffic. At the end of the day it still may not be enough, but we at least get a chance at seeing what's coming.

[emoji1303][emoji7]

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

I agree. I will travel but modify my behavior. I would like more suggestions on how to be safer while away. We were just in Las Ramblas in May and walked the same route from Plaza Cataluna to Boqueria. Very scary.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

UPDATE as of 11:30pm GMT+1 - Aug 17th 2017

Latest information about the distribution of injured among the different hospitals in the city.

Note the figure has increased to 99 now because some of the injured went themselves directly to the hospitals. These are among those with minor injuries.

https://pbs.twimg.com/media/DHdtA4lWsAABEYH.jpg:large

If anyone needs help understanding this list, please say so here, I'll gladly tell you where the hospital is and how to get there.

We were there in early May. We walked the exact path that the van traveled. It was a lot of fun. We got fruit juice at the market and gelato on Las Ramblas. Very sad for the victims and their families.

Sent from my iPad using Forums

We too were the in May.....stayed at the Majestic, walked this same route.....so very sad for all involved...thoughts and prayers for all those traumatized, injured and killed in the attack that took place....it is a sobering feeling to have been there recently with nothing but love and awe for this beautiful city...and now to see this happening there.

UPDATE as of 2:45am GMT+1 - Aug 18th 2017

The incident is not over. It's developing very fast, like in a movie.

The previous incident outside Barcelona, in which a car has jumped a police control and after a chase, it has been stopped and, after a shooting, the drivers have been killed is now confirmed NOT to be related with the terrorists attack.

ALCANAR

A second van, likely for an escape to France, has been found in Vic, North of Barcelona. Initially, it has been treated as a potential hazard in case it was rigged with explosives, but it wasn't. There are two people arrested so far linked to this afternoon's attack, both outside Barcelona, one in Ripoll, near Vic, and the other in Alcanar, 200 km South from Barcelona, near the border with Valencia. Yesterday there was an explosion in a house in this small sleepy town with a number of injured and a few dead, the latter occupants of the house. At first it was thought to be a gas explosion, now Mossos d'Esquadra (Catalan Police), is linking this incident to someone thought to be involved in today's attack in Barcelona. It's thought they might have been handling gas canisters for a potential use in the attack in Barcelona and an accident blew them up.

CAMBRILS

And that's not all, there has been an armed incident just an hour ago, at around 1:30am GMT+1, between our Mossos (police) and a group of individuals near the port of Cambrils, a very popular tourist resort near Tarragona, at 120km South from Barcelona. The incident is being treated as a terrorist attack. A van has tried to run over a group of people and has crashed into a patrol car, and an officer has been seriously injured as well as four other pedestrians. There has been a chase until the van has crashed and turned over near the promenade, five individuals with weapons have emerged from the van and a shooting has occurred. Four terrorists have been shot dead and a fifth has been injured and arrested. No other officers have been injured. It has been confirmed that they were carrying also a sort of explosive belts, albeit confirmation on whether these are real explosives or not is not yet certain. The situation is unfolding so details are scarce. The police operation is still open and more arrests are expected in the next hours. If you're staying in Cambrils stay indoors until the alert is lifted. The situation has just been notified "under control" by the Police but it's still advised to stay indoors.

Check EmergènciesCatalunya (https://twitter.com/emergenciescat?lang=en) for the latest information. This is "the" official channel for emergency information in Catalonia -sort like FEMA in the US.

SO very sad! We have many great memories of the time we spent in Barcelona after our Mediterranean cruise. We stayed at Hotel 1898 right on Las Ramblas. Prayers going out to all involved.

Monika

We were in the same hotel just a few weeks ago, for a week prior to our cruise. Walked up and down there 5 or 6 times a day. So sad for the people involved and for the residents of BCN. Thoughts go out to all.