Back-to-back Alaska/Hawaii inquiry

shamr0ck

I will be graduating in August of 2017, and want to reward myself with a fantastic cruise after I sit for my licensing exams. Since I am going to be unable to take a real vacation for the next 2 years, and potentially for a while after the summer of 2017, I want to make it count. Right now, I am considering a back-to-back Alaska/Hawaii cruise. I know that I have seen posts from folks having done this in the past, but I cannot currently locate them.

So I thought I would ask you lovely people for advice/opinions/etc. :D

Obviously, we want to be on the same cruise line/ship for the trip. The dates would be early September, based on the 2015 and 2016 offerings. I have only identified a couple of cruise lines that could make this happen. Does anyone who has sailed this itinerary in the past have any tips? When do the dates for the Alaskan season typically get released? We would want to book early to make sure we were able to get the same ship/room for both legs of the cruise, and we really want an aft suite or extended balcony. Do we have to take our luggage and exit/reboard in between the two trips? Or will they allow us to stay on board in the public areas? At least leave our luggage on board?

Thanks for any input!

Val

As you are staying in the same room, your stuff will stay in the room. You will receive direction from the cruise line as to procedures in advance of the turnaround day.

If you are planning on a cruise that ends in Hawaii, your cruise will have to depart from Vancouver.

The schedule release times vary by cruise line. You might see them as soon as October, but early 2016 is probably more realistic.

By the way, these are commonly referred to as "Fire and Ice" cruises.

Edited by CruiserBruce

I will be graduating in August of 2017, and want to reward myself with a fantastic cruise after I sit for my licensing exams. Since I am going to be unable to take a real vacation for the next 2 years, and potentially for a while after the summer of 2017, I want to make it count. Right now, I am considering a back-to-back Alaska/Hawaii cruise. I know that I have seen posts from folks having done this in the past, but I cannot currently locate them.

Obviously, we want to be on the same cruise line/ship for the trip. The dates would be early September, based on the 2015 and 2016 offerings. I have only identified a couple of cruise lines that could make this happen. Does anyone who has sailed this itinerary in the past have any tips? When do the dates for the Alaskan season typically get released? We would want to book early to make sure we were able to get the same ship/room for both legs of the cruise, and we really want an aft suite or extended balcony. Do we have to take our luggage and exit/reboard in between the two trips? Or will they allow us to stay on board in the public areas? At least leave our luggage on board?

Thanks for any input!

Val

The first and foremost tip is to remember the PVSA. To do this cruise, you will need to start in Vancouver, not Seattle or Alaska, as that would constitute transportation between two US ports without calling at a distant foreign port.

I think Princess and/or HAL do these at the end of the Alaska season, and follow with a Hawaii to Vancouver return. Yes, you can get the same ship, and you can, if lucky and you book far enough ahead, get the same cabin.

If you are in the same cabin for both legs, you don't need to pack up. If you have to change cabins, pack everything except your hanging clothes, and the cabin stewards will move everything to your new cabin.

You will have to leave the ship at the turn-around day, and clear customs and immigration, but will be given a transit pass and be allowed back onboard long before the new passengers, or you can go sightseeing.

Many others who have done these B2B's will chime in with tips for dates and booking hints.

I would start watching for the Alaska cruises in the fall this yr some lines will bring out the new schedules for spring /summer 2017

Usually 18-24 mths prior

You can check the lines that do that itinerary so you can narrow down the choices

HAL, Princess

Do you want r/t on the Hawaii cruise of fly back from Hawaii that is something to consider also

Edited by LHT28

Thanks for any input!

Val

Celebrity does an Alaska cruise from Seattle to Vancouver in September and continues on to Hawaii and Australia. If you board in Seattle you can't disembark in Hawaii if you've done the cruise from Seattle to Vancouver via Alaska.

You run afoul of the PVSA law in this case. Vancouver isn't a distant foreign port according to the PVSA law .

Princess does Hawaii cruises from Vancouver RTN at the end of the Alaska season.

Depending your time and budget . You can do an Alaska cruise from Whittier to Vancouver . Stay on board and do the 15 day RTNHawaii cruise to Vancouver.

Edited by Kamloops50

It is going to be some work to get around the PVSA requirements. Under PVSA, you can not begin in one US port and end in another. So you probably have to do Alaska or Hawaii on a round trip starting and ending in Vancouver.

It is going to be some work to get around the PVSA requirements. Under PVSA, you can not begin in one US port and end in another. So you probably have to do Alaska or Hawaii on a round trip starting and ending in Vancouver.

Without knowing exactly what is out there to choose from, there are several scenarios:

Start in Alaska, end in Vancouver, then Vancouver round trip to Hawaii

Start in Vancouver rt Alaska, then Vancouver to end in Hawaii, or rt back to Vancouver or Seattle

Start in Seattle, Alaska either rt, or to Vancouver, then rt Hawaii back to Seattle or Vancouver

etc. You can start in Canada and end in US, or start in US and end in Canada, or start/end in Canada, or start/end in same US port (Seattle most likely).