New Barcelona pickpocket warning.

warburg

Greetings from South Beach, Everyone. Last time we were in Barcelona, I was told that La Boqoueria had effectively discouraged pickpockets. Not so. Beware when shopping there. We are remaining in Barcelona for three days after disembarking Explorer on April 9th. We will definitely visit the market. It's too bad about the pickpockets.

Mary

Edited by warburg
Added my name

So glad that you started this thread. When I try to warn people about pickpockets in Barcelona, they try to compare it to NYC, Chicago or L.A. IMO, there is no comparison. Barcelona rates #1 in the world for pickpockets (Rome I believe is #2 in the world and surprisingly Vietnam rates quite high).

The key to Barcelona (we have been there at least 5 times and will be there again in April), is not to carry a camera (that is visible) or a handbag. Be prepared for someone to "accidentally" pour ketchup (or a drink) on you and then tries to help clean it up while someone else picks your pocket. The people in Barcelona are masters at the art of pickpocketing!

While walking up the street to La Boqueria Market, there are "mimes" and other performers that take grab your attention.

In terms of the market itself, it is amazing - better than any market than I have seen anywhere. Again, your attention is off of your belongings and on the wonderful items available there. I highly recommend a visit.

When I am in Barcelona, IF I have a small handbag, I hold it tightly in front of me. Usually, I will put cash (Euros) in a pocket and use a safety pin to close the pocket. If I have a camera, I wrap it around my wrist and hold it. If someone were to pour something on me, I would move very quickly away from them and deal with the mess later.

I know that my description could scare some people but we truly love that city. It is exciting and beautiful. It isn't like Rio when Regent has to warn passengers to remove all your jewelry (including wedding rings) as someone could try to rip it off of you causing bodily harm. Barcelona is peaceful, lovely but does deserve their reputation as the #1 country for pickpockets in the world.

It is an issue but it's not unique to Barcelona. Any city that attracts large numbers of tourists, many of whom may be a bit naive or unaware they are presenting themselves as prime targets, will also attract pickpockets. Just be aware and don't make yourself an obvious/easy target.

In Barcelona I always make it a point to wear shorts or slacks from Travelsmith or similar that have both zipper and button or Velcro pocket closures. But vigilance and being aware of your surroundings is still key.

It's almost impossible to make yourself 100% pickpocket-proof, but you can make yourself a more difficult target - every little bit helps.

We travel extensively and the last time we were in Barcelona was the real pay-off. My husband is 6'6" and he was surrounded by five (5) fellows, nicely dressed, who proceeded to try to take the see through tote that he had which only had bottled water and a brush in it. I tried to tell him to give it to them but he wanted to fight for it. Fortunately someone from a store came out yelling and they ran away.

Be careful. We were in jeans and t-shirts and had no jewelry on.

Our worst experience with pickpockets was at the train station at Versailles, Gare de Versailles-Chantiers. Even with posters all over the station, printed in English, warning passengers about pickpockets, we had more than one youngster try to rob us. Thankfully we were alert and they were not successful.

You just have to be careful everywhere, especially in major tourist areas.

Worst for us have been Barcelona and the Spanish Steps (gypsy children with cardboard) and subway in Rome, where well-dresses older me bump into you.

Agree - that is likely why Barcelona and Rome rate #1 and #2 in the world for pick pocketing. While it could happen anywhere in the world, people in these two cities have it down to a fine art:o