Harvest Caye

forevertravel

We are on a Mariner cruise in April and there is a planned stop at HC. We are not beach people but will probably get off to see what has been done there and then go back to the ship. My understanding is that there is a Margaretaville. My guess is that there is an agreement between NCL and that establishment that the cruise line cannot provide free food and drinks.

machotspur - you know quite a lot and are quite intuitive!

It will be interesting to learn if the person that posted on page one is correct (they have in writing so it is likely the case)....... you cannot go to the mainland or take a private tour.

We are there on March 11th. Assuming nobody else gives further insight we will report back.

Here are some links to information on Harvest Caye:

http://www.cruisecritic.co.uk/news/news.cfm?ID=7296

http://www.cruisecritic.co.uk/memberreviews/ports/harvest%20caye-cruises/

http://www.cruisecritic.co.uk/ports/newport.cfm?ID=8216

http://www.sun-sentinel.com/business/tourism/fl-norwegian-harvest-caye-opens-20161117-story.html

I am sure all Regent guests will make their own choices based on personal preference and their own research without feeling pressured or unduly influenced by the strong negative opinions of others

Thank you for the links - I have seen them before. I am puzzled why they would build something that "looks like Belize" when Belize is within a boat ride from the Island. Everything I've read about it is not anything like the Belize that I've seen (except that Belize had gorgeous natural beaches - not places where the sand had to be brought in).

According to one article there is a zipline, 3,000 sun loungers (not enough for the 7,000 NCL passengers that will be there when a poster from the previous page arrives), a Nature Center (where you can see the same animals that can be found in the wild in Belize) and, of course, the restaurant (affiliated with Jimmy Bulffet's restaurants). For the people that have visited Belize, does this sound like the country that you visited?

The first article is from October, 2016 and makes it sound as if you can go back and forth to the mainland. According to posters that are going there, this is not true.

People will have their own opinions when they get there. So far Regent has scrapped snorkeling excursions for at least one sailing and the options (according to machotspur who will be there next month) there are the following options (repeating what was written above)

-have a leisurely time on the beach/round thepool /in the sea

-go on a mainland tour (we are taking this option, to a Mayan archaeological site).

-stay on the ship

-a mixture of all three options

IMO, no one can force another person to like or dislike something. However, factual data such as the fact that there will be 7,000 NCL passengers on the island along with a Regent ship could certainly sway people in one direction or the other.

Which ship will you be on? Couldn't find a sailing for March 11th.

Looking forward to learning what you discover on Harvest Caye.

We are on a B2B on Explorer, from Miami-Miami-Miami, departing on 6th March and disembarking on 26th March.

Stops at Harvest Caye for one day on 11th March.

As disenchanted Silversea regulars we are very much looking forward to seeing what Regent has to offer.

We are on a B2B on Explorer, from Miami-Miami-Miami, departing on 6th March and disembarking on 26th March.

Stops at Harvest Caye for one day on 11th March.

As disenchanted Silversea regulars we are very much looking forward to seeing what Regent has to offer.

You disembark the day we embark:) We have sailed on Silversea three times - three different ships and like them quite well. Our preference remains Regent. In my opinion, it is hard not to love the Explorer. You'll be onboard long enough to get past the "luxury" part and will be able to enjoy the comfortability of the ship.

Around March 17th, Cruise Director, John Barron will be back on the Explorer. He is amazing. If he does a show when you are onboard, I highly recommend seeing it!

I'm sure you will have a wonderful cruise!

IMO, no one can force another person to like or dislike something. However, factual data such as the fact that there will be 7,000 NCL passengers on the island along with a Regent ship could certainly sway people in one direction or the other.

Your "factual data" would not be quite factual actually. According to a Harvest Caye ship schedule page, there will be NO NCL ships at Harvest Caye on April 22nd when the Mariner will visit. Your point that there could be other NCL ships in port does not mean there will ALWAYS be NCL ships there at the same time as Regent.

In my opinion, at best people are making much ado about nothing and at the worst making some assumptions that do not seem to be founded. I was initially disappointed when I found out the Mariner was not actually going to Belize main, but Harvest Caye looks like a pretty nice beach day regardless if I have to pay for a few drinks. As others have said, if the facts change when I get there, I will change my view.

Your "factual data" would not be quite factual actually. According to a Harvest Caye ship schedule page, there will be NO NCL ships at Harvest Caye on April 22nd when the Mariner will visit. Your point that there could be other NCL ships in port does not mean there will ALWAYS be NCL ships there at the same time as Regent.

In my opinion, at best people are making much ado about nothing and at the worst making some assumptions that do not seem to be founded. I was initially disappointed when I found out the Mariner was not actually going to Belize main, but Harvest Caye looks like a pretty nice beach day regardless if I have to pay for a few drinks. As others have said, if the facts change when I get there, I will change my view.

Kindly advise the website that you checked for which ships will be in port for April 2018 . DeepFreeze63 is a long time poster and I have no reason to doubt the post but would be happy to double check the information (BTW, I did not suggest that NCL ships will 'ALWAYS" be there....... I just would not want to risk it.) Below is the post that I believed to be factual:

— Originally posted by DeepFreeze63 

I never heard of Harvest Cay until I read this thread. I had already booked the Explorer cruise in February 2018 to introduce our adult "children" to Regent. I just checked the cruise port schedule for Harvest Cay. Ready for this Explorer arrives and departs that day with TWO big NCL ships with almost 7000 passengers! Not quite a "private" island!

We'll see but I anticipate getting excursions will be the next angst.

In terms of a "pretty nice beach", anyone that wants to pay thousands of dollars just to sit on the beach is welcome to do so. We travel to see other countries and cultures as well as to taste their local food (not food from a "chain" restaurant. Again, we all have choices - yours is to sit on the beach and mine is to go explore the city/country and eat what the locals are eating. Nothing wrong with either choice.. In the case of Belize, cave tubing down a river through pitch black caves (with a flashlight on our heads) followed by a local lunch was a highlight.

P.S. After thinking about this for a couple of minutes, I would think that people in the colder climates could spend much less money to fly almost anywhere in the world for lovely beaches. Just a thought.

Edited by Travelcat2

I am only interested on our upcoming cruise for 2017 and did not look for the 2018 Harvest Caye schedule. A quick google search does not turn up a 2018 schedule. Perhaps you can ask Deepfreeze where they got their information from.

P.S. Yes, one could probably spend less to fly somewhere else to find a beach and I am perfectly able to decide when, where and how I will spend my money to do that. It just so happens that we choose this particular cruise and Harvest Caye is on the schedule and I intend to make the best of it. If one does not want to go, don't book. Or book and don't get off the ship. Nobody will really care much either way. Just a thought.

I find this thread a fascinating insight into human nature ;)

Those posters who have never been to Harvest Caye, together with those who never want to go there, are very vocal in slamming the port, highlighting potential negative scenarios and generally trying to put others off going

Those who have been to Harvest Caye enjoyed it for what it is

Surely anyone spending thousands on a cruise will research carefully the itinerary and make their own value judgements as to whether they want to book a cruise that includes Harvest Caye (IMO unlikely to be the deciding factor) and then what they want to do on the day they are there

In due course I look forward to further informed, balanced reports from those that experience this location

I never heard of Harvest Cay until I read this thread. I had already booked the Explorer cruise in February 2018 to introduce our adult "children" to Regent. I just checked the cruise port schedule for Harvest Cay. Ready for this Explorer arrives and departs that day with TWO big NCL ships with almost 7000 passengers! Not quite a "private" island!

We'll see but I anticipate getting excursions will be the next angst.

This seems to be very poor scheduling by NCLH to have three ships calling at Harvest Caye on the same day. Very disappointing for you

Out of interest where did you source your information.

As I understand it, Explorer is due in Harvest Caye on 14 Feb 2018.

The only ship I could find on any port schedules calling in to Harvest Caye that day is Norwegian Jade (2400 passengers). However, NCL's site indicates that Jade is not calling in to Harvest Caye on that date!

Edited by flossie009

Hi:

I used "cruisetimetables.com", which has been reliable in the past. For 2/14/2018, it shows NCL Getaway, NCL Jade, and Regent Explorer all arriving @ 0800 and all departing @ 1700. Passenger capacities of 4028, 2800, and 750. I would be very pleased if it turned out the Explorer was alone that day.

I apologise

I have re-checked NCL's site and you are correct that Jade and Getaway are both at Harvest Caye on 14 Feb - the same date that Explorer is scheduled to arrive :eek:

I wonder if the cruise planners at NCL or Regent realise this clash; the port schedules indicate that it is unusual for more than one ship to be there at a time

I doubt if NCL or Regent considers this a clash, although with over 7,000 passengers and only 3,000 lounges, it may be a bit crowded! We have been on a private beach with Regent (one of the islands in Turks and Caicos) when Regent was the only ship there (yes - Regent did provide a barbeque and included drinks) and the place looked deserted as there was enough room for at least a couple of more ships.

IMO, this thread isn't about whether or not people will like Harvest Caye but rather being almost like a prisoner on an island...... required to take Regent excursions or nothing....... paying for food and drinks (even though you can use your onboard credits). The only way that Regent is going to know what their customers think of this idea is to tell them. One does not have to visit the island to know whether or not it is enticing to them (any more than one has to step foot on a ship to know whether it is likely to be something that they will enjoy).

I agree that someone would not pick an itinerary based on Harvest Caye but they could end up there as part of an itinerary that sails in that part of the world (our upcoming 25 night Amazon cruise, for instance, does go to the Caribbean but I'm pleased that a day will not be wasted on Harvest Caye). Again, this is the opinion of one person who has sailed on Regent enough times to know that this "new" idea is pretty lame.

I apologise

I have re-checked NCL's site and you are correct that Jade and Getaway are both at Harvest Caye on 14 Feb - the same date that Explorer is scheduled to arrive :eek:

I wonder if the cruise planners at NCL or Regent realise this clash; the port schedules indicate that it is unusual for more than one ship to be there at a time

I contacted my TA who confirmed that the NCL Getaway is scheduled along with the Explorer but her access system shows NCL Jade there on the 13th not the 14th. The NCL website shows the same excursion options as those for Explorer. I asked her to contact Regent and request that we (four of us) be permitted to cancel this itinerary without ANY penalty.

I contacted my TA who confirmed that the NCL Getaway is scheduled along with the Explorer but her access system shows NCL Jade there on the 13th not the 14th. The NCL website shows the same excursion options as those for Explorer. I asked her to contact Regent and request that we (four of us) be permitted to cancel this itinerary without ANY penalty.

Good for you! Keep in mind that if Regent insists on the $200 penalty, it will be deducted when you book your next cruise!

Perhaps a good idea would be for all passengers to request a fabulous box lunch before departing the ship. I wonder how they would handle that request?

I guess you'll soon find out! I tend to doubt that they would provide a box lunch when they apparently have a contract with the vendors on shore. Plus, if you want lunch, the ship will be serving it onboard. You can report back when you are there.

Those posters who have never been to Harvest Caye, together with those who never want to go there, are very vocal in slamming the port, highlighting potential negative scenarios and generally trying to put others off going

Surely anyone spending thousands on a cruise will research carefully the itinerary and make their own value judgements as to whether they want to book a cruise that includes Harvest Caye (IMO unlikely to be the deciding factor) and then what they want to do on the day they are there

In due course I look forward to further informed, balanced reports from those that experience this location

Have to agree with you. For someone not to have ever been there. Some really negitive opinions. I would be willing to share the island with "NCL pax" All the more fun. I'm a people watcher😀

I guess you'll soon find out! I tend to doubt that they would provide a box lunch when they apparently have a contract with the vendors on shore. Plus, if you want lunch, the ship will be serving it onboard. You can report back when you are there.

While I certainly get your point and understand what the corporation gas in mind for this stop, I seem to remember over the years requesting and getting a fabulous picnic lunch to bring along when we were going off to a beach on our own for the day. Do they not do that anymore or maybe I'm thinking of Silversea?

Have to agree with you. For someone not to have ever been there. Some really negitive opinions. I would be willing to share the island with "NCL pax" All the more fun. I'm a people watcher😀

I don't wish to continue some of the horrible hostility that appears to exist on this thread but I do find your comments a little insulting i'm afraid. I’m sure this is unintentional isn’t it ?

As one of the ‘accused’ who has never visited Harvest Caye,but is doing so in a few weeks time, I posted a couple of days ago what I thought was a reasonable, balanced series of comments.

I don’t believe that I was 'very vocal in slamming the port,highlighting potential negative scenarios and generally trying to put people off'', as you suggest. If anything I was defending the cruise company with quite positive comments and suggesting that things at this port of call were probably OK for most people.

The only comment I made that could be interpreted as being mildly negative was to declare that I, like many many people around the world, didn’t enjoy resort type holidays with large crowds. Surely not a crime ?

I come onto Cruise Critic to learn from others, and to add any value I can by sharing my own experiences. I find that the quite frequent attacks on individuals are distasteful and detract from this core purpose.

We visited Harvest Caye yesterday. Happily, Explorer was the only ship in town.

It is very nicely done (if a little bit Disneyesque) with a large beach and pool, loads of sun loungers (with shade), clean restrooms😎, at least one restaurant and several souvenir shops.

Having commented earlier in this thread that I was disappointed that we should have to pay for food and drink, I can now understand the set-up. In reality it is a hybrid of a private island (think Princess Caye) and a nice port area.

We didn't eat in the restaurant preferring to go back on board for lunch and the rest of the day.

There seems to only be space for one ship to dock, so I imagine other (larger?) ships would have to tender

Hope this helps