Harvest Caye

forevertravel

Hi Travelcat, at Harvest Caye you can't take any private tours, only the ones offered on the ship. the tubing one offered on our cruise Feb 14 is not the same one you took. it is down a river and does not make mention of any caves. We are really bummed about the snorkel trip being canceled. Regent did not really offer a good snorkel experience in Cozumel so we did arrange one on our own there. In Costa Maya we are "wait listed" for the power snorkel, So much for the "free" shore excursions. This is our first Regent cruise and as far as booking shore excursions we are less then impressed.

May I ask why you cannot take a private tour? Has Regent specifically told you that you can't take transportation to the mainland? I would ask your TA to double check with Regent (or call Regent yourself). This simply does not sound right.

Have you contacted a excursion company in Belize and asked how you would get from Harvest Caye to where they pick up passengers for excursions? If you have not, I strongly suggest that you do so. After all, the worst that they can say is "no".

In general, I am not a fan of included (or "free" excursions). IMO, doing excursions on your own if preferable to most things Regent offers in some parts of the world (which includes the Caribbean, Alaska and Europe).

I love Regent and have sailed with them for many years. The only thing that I dislike about Regent is included excursions.

Hope that you are able to find an excursion that will make you happy:)

below is an excerpt from an NCL press release. As you can see they only allow their own shore excursions. I have phoned other Belize shore companies and told me that they are not allowed to collect passengers at Harvest Caye.

What's also interesting is that Norwegian has created a hybrid that's part port of call and part private island. For example, Norwegian plans to open the island to other cruise lines eventually, and a day on Harvest Caye isn't necessarily an extension of the onboard experience: passengers will have to pay for food and most activities, and they'll find locals manning the island, rather than ship crew. On the other hand, visitors can still use their Norwegian cruise keycards for purchases ashore, and the only shore excursions offered are those booked through a cruise line.

Haven't posted on this forum before but have lurked for a long time as my parents are avid Regent cruisers and I'm sure my husband and I will cruise Regent some day after our kids are in college. That said, I will chime in to say that my understanding is that the agreement Norwegian has with the government of Belize stipulates that only ship-sponsored excursions may be taken from HC. This was something we learned when visiting Belize for a land vacation last year. There was/is actually quite a contingent of locals not happy at all that a "private island" was being leased to a cruise company for a variety of reasons.

Anyhow, for what it's worth, those who regularly cruise NCL and are accustomed to visiting other small "private islands" weren't happy either that food isn't included in the cruise fare which is the norm - even for those non-inclusive lines. Disney, Royal Caribbean/Celebrity, Carnival/Princess all visit their own "islands" as does NCL - all which have included food. At all of those locations, as far as I know, excursions are limited to ship-sponsored as well. (For example, one cannot take a private boat to another Bahamian island from Disney's Castaway Cay for the day or leave the Labadee area of Haiti with Royal.

So Regent pax aren't the only ones irked by the new model for Harvest Caye, both for food and the limitation on sources for excursions. It seems the powers-that-be characterize it as a private island for some purposes (excursions) but not for others (food) where it is being treated as just another port where one would have to purchase food.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

sharon2975 and flexsmom, thank you both for sharing this information (as disturbing as it is). I guess that the only way to escape is island is to take a Regent tour that goes to the mainland. Harvest Caye is definitely a place I will avoid.

flexsmom - glad that you decided to post!:)

First of all, I get it.....Regent is an "all inclusive" so they shouldn't be charging for food and drink on HC. I get and understand that. Be that as it may, I hope that the "nay sayers" will at least get off the boat for a look when it comes to HC. I've been to lots of "private islands" either owned by the line, staffed by the lined, rented by the line, etc. We found the grounds of HC to be much like a botanical garden. The landscaping is nothing short of fabulous. You don't have to spend a penny to enjoy the grounds. As far as the long (and it is pretty long) walk down the pier, there are little golf carts that will drive you the distance if you so desire. It's also nice to see things that aren't in the franchise category (other than Landshark bar). I guess what I'm trying to say is don't throw the baby out with the bath water.

Makes me wonder-why the charge. Even SeaDreams stops on a ptv island for an afternoon owned by someone other the the SeaDreams. They service drinks, soft drinks and have really nice BBQ on china using silverware from the ship. And the BBQ isn't hot dogs and hambugers, it's everything great. And it's all at no cost to you, it's part of the cruise. They also bring out all the water toys to use. I understand when you get off at a port in a city it's at your cost-but this is not that.

Rick

Makes me wonder-why the charge. Even SeaDreams stops on a ptv island for an afternoon owned by someone other the the SeaDreams. They service drinks, soft drinks and have really nice BBQ on china using silverware from the ship. And the BBQ isn't hot dogs and hambugers, it's everything great. And it's all at no cost to you, it's part of the cruise. They also bring out all the water toys to use. I understand when you get off at a port in a city it's at your cost-but this is not that.

Rick

Seabourn, same thing. The crew busts their butts to set it up

Food, drink, water toys and caviar and champagne in the surf. No additional cost

Harvest Caye is not like Barbados or any other island. It's an island owned by NCL corporation. If you visit islands owned by Royal Caribbean, Princess, Carnival, etc, the ship has a buffet lunch for passengers at no charge. Therefore, since Harvest Caye is owned by NCL corporation and Regent is "all inclusive" there shouldn't be any charge for drinks or lunch. I guess they expect passengers to go back to ship for drinks and food. As I look at the tours while in Harvest Caye there is no snorkeling or any tours right there in Harvest Caye. You can rent a cabana or villa for x amount of dollars. Right now Harvest Caye does not sound like a place I want to visit. Maybe the best thing is to stay on the ship.:)

Yes there are downsides to HC but I would still recommend getting off and having a look. The swimming pool is lovely, large, warm and in a nice garden setting. There are hundreds of loungers both on the beach and around the pool. We spent the morning there then got back on board for lunch.

mudhen and Merley - I suppose that Harvest Caye would be fine if you are into swimming pools, lying on the beach or swimming in the ocean. Some of us (me in particular) are not into that (in my case, I was raised near Malibu and Santa Monica beaches, almost everyone had swimming pools so I've been there - done that). We do like snorkeling generally off of a boat rather than a beach. So, we would not get off of the ship at this port unless it was cloudy and we could take a long walk.

What is most upsetting is not having to pay for food or drinks but not being to see the wonderful sites of Belize. Plus, there are some great little food places around where you can try local food and beer at a very reasonable price. Being a prisoner on an island that has been built for tourists is not the kind of place that I would choose to be. Not sure what NCL was thinking.

I never heard of Harvest Cay until I read this thread. I had already booked the Explorer cruise in February 2018 to introduce our adult "children" to Regent. I just checked the cruise port schedule for Harvest Cay. Ready for this Explorer arrives and departs that day with TWO big NCL ships with almost 7000 passengers! Not quite a "private" island!

We'll see but I anticipate getting excursions will be the next angst.

I never heard of Harvest Cay until I read this thread. I had already booked the Explorer cruise in February 2018 to introduce our adult "children" to Regent. I just checked the cruise port schedule for Harvest Cay. Ready for this Explorer arrives and departs that day with TWO big NCL ships with almost 7000 passengers! Not quite a "private" island!

We'll see but I anticipate getting excursions will be the next angst.

If there was an award for the worst possible scenario, your cruise would win - hands down :o Not only will you be stuck on this island but will be stuck with thousands of NCL passengers. Truly hope that you are able to book excursions that get you the heck off of the island! On the other hand, how wonderful that you will share the Regent experience with your adult children!

Well we had that as a port a year ago or so and it is a toilet. I think a "sea day" is far better than trying to do that. On the other hand, Gaugin and some others have a "private Island" that is really upscale. This is a "port" that they are trying to promote..i.e. Oceania, Norwegian and Regent. Stay on the ship. All is good there. I love to be on a beach and I love the ocean, but I don't love being ripped off. LOL

mudhen and Merley - I suppose that Harvest Caye would be fine if you are into swimming pools, lying on the beach or swimming in the ocean. Some of us (me in particular) are not into that (in my case, I was raised near Malibu and Santa Monica beaches, almost everyone had swimming pools so I've been there - done that). We do like snorkeling generally off of a boat rather than a beach. So, we would not get off of the ship at this port unless it was cloudy and we could take a long walk.

What is most upsetting is not having to pay for food or drinks but not being to see the wonderful sites of Belize. Plus, there are some great little food places around where you can try local food and beer at a very reasonable price. Being a prisoner on an island that has been built for tourists is not the kind of place that I would choose to be. Not sure what NCL was thinking.

Fair point. Coming from the chilly UK, with the North Sea not that inviting at the best of times, and very few private swimming pools, we go to the Caribbean for the sunshine etc. I forget that some people are lucky enough to have it all on their doorstep.

Well we had that as a port a year ago or so and it is a toilet. I think a "sea day" is far better than trying to do that. On the other hand, Gaugin and some others have a "private Island" that is really upscale. This is a "port" that they are trying to promote..i.e. Oceania, Norwegian and Regent. Stay on the ship. All is good there. I love to be on a beach and I love the ocean, but I don't love being ripped off. LOL

Interesting. According to my searches, Harvest Caye opened for cruise ships in November 2016, not quite 4 months ago. Hardly a year. Your portrait as Harvest Caye as a "toilet" hardly fits the articles I have read or even the posts on this board. If, by chance, you were actually on Harvest Caye before as it was being built and conditions were not up to standard, I apologize. Perhaps you are thinking of Belize City, in which case your observation is simply your opinion as a foreigner in a different country.

In any case, in light of current conditions, I think your post is unfounded, highly prejudiced and should be disregarded.

I kind of doubt that you were actually at "Harvest Cay"....I don't know how anyone who has been there since November could call it a TOILET!

From my understanding, the actual cay was not much more than a sand bar when they started. We were told by the local folks that literally tons of sand needed to be brought in to make the cay. I do GET the idea about all inclusive, shouldn't need to pay, yada, yada, and that's fine. But a lot of work has been done by the local folks to make a beautiful spot. Calling it a TOILET is insulting to all of the local people who worked on making something nice, whether you approve of it's existence or not.

More fake news:mad:

If there was an award for the worst possible scenario, your cruise would win - hands down :o Not only will you be stuck on this island but will be stuck with thousands of NCL passengers. Truly hope that you are able to book excursions that get you the heck off of the island! On the other hand, how wonderful that you will share the Regent experience with your adult children!

Wonder how the NCL pax feel about being stuck with all the Regent passengers? A little condescending, don't you think?

Wonder how the NCL pax feel about being stuck with all the Regent passengers? A little condescending, don't you think?

Nope! If I wanted to sail with 3,000 passengers I could do so. I would have made the same comment if we had to share the space with any cruise ship that holds over 1,000 passengers!:cool:

Nope! If I wanted to sail with 3,000 passengers I could do so. I would have made the same comment if we had to share the space with any cruise ship that holds over 1,000 passengers!:cool:

Harvest Caye is sounding worse and worse!! You must have been ready to jump overboard on that giant, (over 1000 passenger) non luxury O ship.. What is Regent thinking!!!! Are there any recent reports coming out of this place?

There are a lot of photos of Harvest Caye online. It is beautiful but that isn't really the point. The point(s) have been described quite well on page one of this thread. While having to pay for food is one thing (this is something that is likely less of an issue with Oceania and NCL passengers since neither line is all-inclusive) but not being to take a private tour is a bit over the top.

It sounds as if some of you wouldn't mind having 5,000-6,000 passengers (not sure how many people two NCL ships hold) lying on the hundreds (thousands?) of lounges on the beach. To each his/her own. If we sailed on an itinerary that included Harvest Caye (which we wouldn't do), we would make that day a sea day..... (and I suspect that we would not be the only ones on the ship).

Again. You need to lighten up a bit with your constant degradation towards other people.

There are recent photographs and posts on Oceana thread from a cruiser just been on a Carribean cruise and stopped here. Jean.

thank you liptastic.....I'm sure it is a lovely island although this cruise is turning out to be different than what we bought into. We don't hold such disdain for other cruiseline passengers as has been exhibited on this thread. Very sad. Very embarrassing.

Please allow me to comment on this issue of Harvest Cay, asa first time Regent cruiser, due to visit this island next month.

When we booked the cruise we were very aware of what this portof call was/wasn’t. Equally the Regent website gave details of the likelytours, which included a fair proportion that were on the Berlitz mainland.

When the excursions were released for our cruise there werevery few surprises. We could choose to either -

- have a leisurely time on the beach/round thepool /in the sea

- go on a mainland tour (we are taking thisoption, to a Mayan archaeological site).

- stay on the ship

- a mixture of all three options

This is surely quite similar to many ports of call around theworld is it not ?

With all of our cruises with Silversea/Seabourn we havenever visited a single port where drinks and food are included. Yes – of coursethis island is owned by the cruise company so inevitably will impact on howsome people view the situation, but for our part it is just another port ofcall where the ship is docking, and we have made our choice of what we will be doingthere – going on a mainland tour !

Finally I do not take offense at the comments postedregarding the visits of the large NCL ships. I do not believe that the posteris being condescending to NCL guest per se, but merely commenting that the volumeof guests concerns them (as it does me).

Surely many thousands of vacationers across the world seekto avoid large crowds where possible, whether they are on a cruise ship, in WaltDisney World, in a Business Class Lounge at an airport, or walking theAppalacian Trail ? This is why we havedecided not to spend time on the island itself – a personal choice, because Idon’t like crowded beaches or pools.

So – there you have it – an alternative opinion from a Regent‘newbie’ – what do I know ?

machotspur - you know quite a lot and are quite intuitive!

It will be interesting to learn if the person that posted on page one is correct (they have in writing so it is likely the case)....... you cannot go to the mainland or take a private tour.

I did want to mention that Regent has visited private islands previously (even an island owned by Princess) and a couple in the South Pacific where they set up lovely buffets and drinks. For this reason, it is quite surprising to have an island where you not only pay for food but (and IMO more importantly) Regent passengers are being forced to use their excursions. This is a shame in many ways as there is a lot of things to see and do on in Belize. Belize has some wonderful local food at very reasonable prices.

Prior to Regent being purchased by the parent company of NCL, Regent and Oceania had the same owner and we did not share excursions (or beaches as in the case here.)

I guess time will tell how Regent passengers accept Havest Caye (or not).

Thanks for your post.