Harvest Caye

forevertravel

I was on Harvest Caye yesterday and just wanted to report on a couple of things I learned from the Guest Services Director there. He said the reason no private tours are offered is because the municipal pier was damaged in a hurricane. They have since rebuilt and are now working on establishing a contract with a water taxi service to Placencia. Once that is established, they can run taxis to the mainland and offer private tours. (I don't know why private tours can't pick up directly at the island, but perhaps it's a licensing/safety thing to control who can dock?)

He also said that they are working on establishing snorkeling tours but aren't ready yet. So it might be if you're not cruising for a year, some situations might change by the time you're there. It is a very new port.

It also is quite lovely if you are looking for a beach day. It's certainly easy to get back to the ship for lunch. They run little golf cart-like trams if you don't wish to walk.

Also, it seemed pretty clear that they only let in one ship at a time. I see Explorer marked as Harvest Cay on the Regent website but as Belize City on CruiseCal.com. I'm wondering if it's a scheduling snafu and either the Norwegian ship or Explorer will end up with a slight itinerary change eventually.

I was on Harvest Caye yesterday and just wanted to report on a couple of things I learned from the Guest Services Director there. He said the reason no private tours are offered is because the municipal pier was damaged in a hurricane. They have since rebuilt and are now working on establishing a contract with a water taxi service to Placencia. Once that is established, they can run taxis to the mainland and offer private tours. (I don't know why private tours can't pick up directly at the island, but perhaps it's a licensing/safety thing to control who can dock?)He also said that they are working on establishing snorkeling tours but aren't ready yet. So it might be if you're not cruising for a year, some situations might change by the time you're there. It is a very new port.

It also is quite lovely if you are looking for a beach day. It's certainly easy to get back to the ship for lunch. They run little golf cart-like trams if you don't wish to walk.

Also, it seemed pretty clear that they only let in one ship at a time. I see Explorer marked as Harvest Cay on the Regent website but as Belize City on CruiseCal.com. I'm wondering if it's a scheduling snafu and either the Norwegian ship or Explorer will end up with a slight itinerary change eventually.

Thank you so much for the update! Now it makes more sense why passengers are not permitted to do their own excursions or go to the mainland. It is a shame that Regent does not share this information with their passengers.

In terms of CruiseCal, I subscribed to them for 2 years and found continual errors (which is why I now use Cruise TT - it may have some errors or omissions but at least I don't pay for it):)

Have to agree with you. For someone not to have ever been there. Some really negitive opinions. I would be willing to share the island with "NCL pax" All the more fun. I'm a people watcher😀

Greetings, Miflowers. I Happy Washington's Birthday.

t is strange to me that people can get worked up about this stop. We sailed Oceania for many years, and may do so again, and they sometimes stop at one of these beachy stops.

We live on Miami Beach, a barrier island with plenty of sand. However, for many passengers, an environment like that is unusual. Now, Oceania is not Regent and we have sailed on both. I never heard anyone complain about the stop. We didn't. The only thing we didn't particularly like were the local tenders. They had an African Queen quality without the Africa.

Mary

IMO, Regent cruisers different expectations than Oceania or NCL cruisers (and if I were on those boards, I would say the same). We are rather spoiled rotten by Regent and Harvest Caye is something that we have encountered in the past!

I was definitely in too much of a rush when I made that post. I meant to say that Harvest Caye is something Regent cruisers have NOT encountered in the past. When we have visited private islands in the past, we are "taken care of".

Actually it was very clean, I picked up so coral and some fan coral along with spiral shells. I enjoyed my time on the island, learning about the Mangroves and I got a sunburn in January. While my friends at home were slipping on ice and snow. I didn't mind paying for my Coconut. I didn't expect food and drinks for free.

Actually it was very clean, I picked up so coral and some fan coral along with spiral shells. I enjoyed my time on the island, learning about the Mangroves and I got a sunburn in January. While my friends at home were slipping on ice and snow. I didn't mind paying for my Coconut. I didn't expect food and drinks for free.

Good to hear that you enjoyed Harvest Caye (sorry that got sunburned).

I've been to NCL's private Cays before. Once about 25 years ago when we took an NCL cruise on the advice of our then - TA, and when we decided "never again" on NCL and the TA! Then in 2015 on a "Moody Blues" music cruise -- despite it being on the NCL Pearl -- because we like that band. Even though we booked suites in "The Haven" we found that NCL still doesn't have it right. We didn't get off the ship at the Cay and those that did said it was a nice place ruined by the nickel and diming.

What I don't understand, in light of Regent's "all inclusive" claims, is that there are charges for lots of normal things like drinks and food at a stop run by Regent. As some of you know Regent (then Radisson) used to operate the Paul Gauguin on its cruises of French Polynesia. Regent operated a private beach (motu) that was a stop on that cruise, and it sure was "all inclusive" Waiters came out in the water to bring guests drinks! And the current owner of the Paul Gauguin has kept that tradition.

Given what I know after reading this thread -- that Regent's private beach isn't all inclusive -- I would consider that stop a negative in considering a cruise. And if the benefits of the cruise itinerary outweighed the negatives and it took it, I would consider that stop a sea day.

Sorry for posting after myself, but I had a different thought about this "private" Cay stop. It would appear that Regent is not informing guests of the nature of this private Cay experience before or at time of booking. Given Regent's "all inclusive" harping in its ads (I get about five per week in the mail), it would seem very misleading to fail to inform prospective guests that this private island (owned by the company that owns Regent) is NOT all inclusive, as prospective guests would expect. Regent is a "big boy" and can do whatever it wants I guess -- except mislead its customers. Of course, if a guest wants to go on a cruise where one of the stops, though essentially owned by Regent, is not all inclusive, that's fine. But prospective guests should be informed of this before they make a commitment that will cost them to cancel. I suspect that if Regent made full disclosure of the nature of this stop, their ships making it would be far from full.

As far as some Regent cruisers not wanting to risk being on the Cay with thousands of NCL guests (or thousands of any others), I'm with them. It is not because I find anything wrong with NCL guests. I just don't like crowds! That's why I cruise Regent (and other cruise environments like it), and why we moved from a large city to a mountain town of 18,000 people.

A copy of "World of Cruising" magazine dropped through my letterbox the other day. No idea why - I don't subscribe - but from time to time, it happens. Inside is an article entitled "Welcome to Fantasy Island" which focuses on, you've guessed, Harvest Caye and an NCL cruise which features it as a destination. I did raise an eyebrow when I read "As pop music echoes across the island, I wander around the shops..." Tell me, does NCL switch and change the atmosphere of the Caye depending on the clientele who are visiting? I imagine there would be a very different feel to the place if a 4000-passenger NCL ship with families on board is there, rather than a 650-px Regent ship? Those who have been there recently, did it feel like party-central, or just a small resort island with a nice beach?

Hi Gilly

We were ther last month on Explorer - see post #74 in this thread.

We found the beach to be relatively quiet. Although there were "Island Rhythms" being played LOUDLY across the sound system, you could find a spot away from the speakers and enjoy rather than endure the music 😏

The music by pool, however was very loud. I am aware, that the poolside cabanas (available for rent, at I believe, no charge to Regent passengers) were very, very noisy.

There are several different shops, all looked to be open, with few visitors.

I imagine the vibe (and noise levels) with a large NCL ship in too would be very different.......

.....at the very least there would be families with small children, who create their own "music"😖

Dolebludger,

I am sorry but I totally fail to understand your last two posts

No other ports on a Regent cruise are all inclusive, so what's the problem?

:confused: :confused: :confused:

I think he's relating to other luxury cruise lines that are truly all-inclusive at a private beach stop. (Think Seabourn)

I am wondering if you could use one of the bus excursions to get out of Harvest Caye, go off on your own to self tour, and then meet up at the appointed end of excursion time for the bus ride back to Harvest Caye?

fizzy, I don't personally know, but posts above have indicated that there is no way to avoid this Cay except stay on the ship.

To clarify my posts above, when one takes a lux line that touts that it is "all inclusive" it is expected that food, drink, and some activities will be included at any stop that is owned, leased, rented or contracted for by the lux line or its parent company. In other words a "private island or beach". On the other hand, it is not expected that such things will be included at port stops with which the line has no connection -- such as the Bahamas, Rome, Easter Island, and so forth.

It was merely my point that Regent should make prospective guests aware that this Cay is not included in the all inclusive policy. As it is customary that such "private islands" be all inclusive on a lux line like Regent, it is expected by guests unless Regent informs them otherwise.

The only way to get off Harvest cay is a boat or helicopter. No bus service. It can be done but I wouldn't bother. Also the snorkeling is terrible due to the island terrain prep that went on. We only stayed an hour. Agree with the thought to consider it a sea day.

Sent from my iPad using Forums

Dan, Regent's visits to other islands, like Seabourn, have been inclusive in terms of food and drinks. And, like Harvest Caye, there is no ability to do your own thing on land. The difference here is that passengers will have little opportunity to actually see Belize (unless they take the one excursion offered -- could be more by now).

I don't believe that a Regent ship has been in port with a NCL ship (yet)..... it should be "interesting" to say the least. Just thinking of blaring music makes me happy to know how far the ship is from the "activities" ashore.

It seems that each report we receive from people that have been there gets worse. Until now, I was unaware of the loud music by the pool and in some parts of the beach.

Note: The cost for a pool cabana for Regent guests is $109 (per cabana - not per person). The beach villas rent for $309 -- you do get a butler but have to purchase food and drinks. (and don't forget to tip the butler as this is not part of Regent's onboard experience).

Didn't think of saying this in my earlier post, but there was a small dock on the opposite side away from the cruise ship dock. There were small boats like you use on a lake and I don't know if they were part of regent or private, didn't go an ask. But i guess they were part of a tour or like I said for the locals to get to and from the caye.

Alice Faye

Dan,......The difference here is that passengers will have little opportunity to actually see Belize (unless they take the one excursion offered -- could be more by now)........

There is more than one excursion offered.

I am on the 11March17 Mariner (1st Cuba). The stop in Harvest Cay offers 12 Shore excursions. Of those 6 are off "island" to the mainland and those are free.

Here is the list.

J

There is more than one excursion offered.

I am on the 11March17 Mariner (1st Cuba). The stop in Harvest Cay offers 12 Shore excursions. Of those 6 are off "island" to the mainland and those are free.

Here is the list.

J

Thanks for posting the link. This is much better than what I saw the last time that I checked. IMO, anything that passengers can do to get off of the island and to see Belize is a good thing!

We’ve been at (a rainy) Harvest Caye today and offer the following comments.

Putting the issue of inclusive food & drinks to one side for one moment, the concept is quite easy to describe. Harvest Caye is a new, large, well planned resort, complete with restaurants, bars and shops. It has a large double pool plus a long beach area with100’s of loungers, cabanas etc. It closely resembles the many similar resorts that are to be found around the Caribbean and the Med.

I’d estimate that around 120 guests took Regent provided tours on the mainland. We took a tour to some Mayan ruins which was fine. As already noted it is not possible to visit the mainland independently. Even if it was, it's a bit of a pain to do so. The boat to the mainland takes 30 minutes and there are few facilities when you get there – a village with few facilities, miles from anything, and surrounded by mangroves.

This afternoon the island was deserted apart from a few crew members enjoying the space. Provoked by the inclement weather guests were voting with their feet and spending much of the day on the ship.

There is no doubt in my mind that NCL guests, and to a lesser extent Oceania, would probably like this place. On a sunny day I can see this place having a real party vibe, which would suit the age/demography of those on the party style ships.

I – and it appears the great majority of guests on our Regent cruise, do not appear to find this place meets their needs.

Of course the two cruise companies mentioned are not inclusive so they are going to be more relaxed about spending money in the bars etc.

And before I get flamed these comments have nothing to do with being a snob, or looking down on people on other cruise lines. Each cruise company has its identity and the position of Norwegian is more aligned to Harvest Caye than Regent.

Would we again go on a cruise with Harvest Caye included ? – maybe if the rest of the itinerary was OK and there were decent mainland excursions offered. But would I seek out an itinerary that includes this place – certainly not !

It comes down to ‘you pays your money and makes your choice’.

If Regent get positive feedback and bookings then Harvest Caye will stay. If the reverse is true then it will be dropped or at least the arrangements amended.

We’ve been at (a rainy) Harvest Caye today and offer the following comments.

Putting the issue of inclusive food & drinks to one side for one moment, the concept is quite easy to describe. Harvest Caye is a new, large, well planned resort, complete with restaurants, bars and shops. It has a large double pool plus a long beach area with100’s of loungers, cabanas etc. It closely resembles the many similar resorts that are to be found around the Caribbean and the Med.

I’d estimate that around 120 guests took Regent provided tours on the mainland. We took a tour to some Mayan ruins which was fine. As already noted it is not possible to visit the mainland independently. Even if it was, it's a bit of a pain to do so. The boat to the mainland takes 30 minutes and there are few facilities when you get there – a village with few facilities, miles from anything, and surrounded by mangroves.

This afternoon the island was deserted apart from a few crew members enjoying the space. Provoked by the inclement weather guests were voting with their feet and spending much of the day on the ship.

There is no doubt in my mind that NCL guests, and to a lesser extent Oceania, would probably like this place. On a sunny day I can see this place having a real party vibe, which would suit the age/demography of those on the party style ships.

I – and it appears the great majority of guests on our Regent cruise, do not appear to find this place meets their needs.

Of course the two cruise companies mentioned are not inclusive so they are going to be more relaxed about spending money in the bars etc.

And before I get flamed these comments have nothing to do with being a snob, or looking down on people on other cruise lines. Each cruise company has its identity and the position of Norwegian is more aligned to Harvest Caye than Regent.

Would we again go on a cruise with Harvest Caye included ? – maybe if the rest of the itinerary was OK and there were decent mainland excursions offered. But would I seek out an itinerary that includes this place – certainly not !

It comes down to ‘you pays your money and makes your choice’.

If Regent get positive feedback and bookings then Harvest Caye will stay. If the reverse is true then it will be dropped or at least the arrangements amended.

Really appreciate your input regarding Harvest Caye and, even though we have not been there, agree with your "take" on the situation. NCL passengers would definitely like it more than Oceania and fewer Regent passengers would like it. Agree wholeheartedly that the review from Regent guests will decide whether this port remains on Regent's Itineraries. On the other hand, having spent some time reading Roll Calls for Caribbean cruises (particularly on the Explorer), it seems that the majority of posters are new to Regent. So, it is a toss up as to what type of reviews Harvest Caye will receive. One can only hope that repeat Regent cruisers will let Regent know their thoughts - whether on Cruise Critic or on their end of cruise questionnaire.

With all respect to SouthernLadie (a poster who I really like), she has not experienced the private island ports that Regent has stopped at in the past where a huge meal and drinks are put out for their guests. So, if someone has not had this experience, Harvest Caye may seem like a lovely port stop. For some of us (me for example), I would much rather stay on the ship and enjoy the food (likely much better than anything offered on Harvest Caye), the drinks, the pool or simply sitting on the balcony reading a book.

Note: I would stay onboard the ship unless I could take a private excursion to a country that we really enjoy.