Explorer Sunday brunch

HongKongAlan

This seems a real highlight. We have a Sunday sea day on our April cruise, appreciate advice as to the brunch start and end time. I've booked an extraordinarily expensive masssage for partner and myself at 11 am same day which in retrospect may be right in the middle of brunch and we do love brunch.

If possible, I would delay the massage. If you go to brunch early, you could be distracted by the time - making sure that you aren't late for the massage. After your massage, you'll likely want to relax.

IMO, the brunch deserves your full attention. It will be a very special day on the Explorer.

We haven't cruised yet and really looking forward to this Sunday Brunch (sea day)-so much I checked to make sure we had Sunday at sea. So hoping it is really nice. Does anyone have any photo's of the whole Brunch?

And if you do will you post?

Thanks, Rick

Rick, I've just emailed you.

The brunch is indeed really good with an excellent selection of dishes. I also appreciated the opportunity to interact with galley staff who are normally behind the scenes. It was a great chance to thank them and admire their work.

If this Sunday Sea Day Brunch is so liked, why don't they offer it on all the Regent ships?
Perhaps because CR was not set up to be as flexible as it is on the Explorer!? This requires moving many tables and changing most of the front section of the restaurant. Or, perhaps they want to leave the Explorer as special as she is!

Perhaps because CR was not set up to be as flexible as it is on the Explorer!? This requires moving many tables and changing most of the front section of the restaurant. Or, perhaps they want to leave the Explorer as special as she is!

Don't think that's a good answer. They can move or set up what ever they need if they want. And The Explorer as special as she is----really, that said all the other ships are just so-so, it's the same line and service should be the same on all ships. Just don't agree with your thinking on this one.

Don't think that's a good answer. They can move or set up what ever they need if they want. And The Explorer as special as she is----really, that said all the other ships are just so-so, it's the same line and service should be the same on all ships. Just don't agree with your thinking on this one.
It is okay to disagree but Eager2Travel was given the same answer when she was onboard a Regent ship.

In terms of the other ships being just so-so, I don't think that is the case. The ships are just different. For instance, The Navigator is smaller, has larger suites than the Mariner and has only one specialty restaurant. The Navigator is also the only ship without an Observation Lounge. While we personally do not like the Navigator, she is the favorite of many and no one complains about the lack of an extra specialty restaurant or the forward lounge (heck, they don't even complain about the vibration).

When I look at my former favorite ship, the Voyager, I look at it this way. They built the Mariner..... looked at what worked and didn't work and shortly thereafter built the Voyager (larger suites, etc.) By the same token, while I expect the second Explorer class ship to be very similar to the current one, there will be improvements.

Just thought of one thing about CR. On the Voyager (and Navigator), CR is one large open space with two entrances. The Mariner is broken up by a walled in space in the middle which made it difficult for staff to see what was going on in the two entrances (hope that this is making sense). So, on the Explorer, they blocked the aft entrance (may have been a last minute decision because it ended up causing the "stairs to nowhere - "nowhere" being the blocked aft door to CR).

In terms of service, yes, it is the same on all Regent ships. The food is also the same.

As with cruising in general, there are a choice of Regent ships and they are no longer as similar as they were in the past. The options on one ship are not necessarily available on another (not dissimilar to the smaller, older Oceania ships vs. the Marina and Riviera).

I disagree

Each Regent ship is subtly different - cabins, layout, speciality restaurants, entertainment venues

Sea Day Sunday Brunch is one of the things offered to set Explorer apart from the other ships, and Compass Rose has been designed accordingly

Variety is the spice of life

Like we say it's OK to disagree, however if Regent wanted to do it could be done. The other ships have pool side dinners and B-B-Q's-weather being good whats wrong with that space for a Sea Day Brunch. Once Regent starts to make one ship special, then you have another line. Service is Regent, and should be excepted to be near the same. You have P7 on all the ships---once you change the service on one ship it's not P7. Just the way I think about it, you don't have to agree-but if you do next time your on one of the other ships let them know how disappointed you are about not having a Brunch.

Like we say it's OK to disagree, however if Regent wanted to do it could be done. The other ships have pool side dinners and B-B-Q's-weather being good whats wrong with that space for a Sea Day Brunch. Once Regent starts to make one ship special, then you have another line. Service is Regent, and should be excepted to be near the same. You have P7 on all the ships---once you change the service on one ship it's not P7. Just the way I think about it, you don't have to agree-but if you do next time your on one of the other ships let them know how disappointed you are about not having a Brunch.

IMO, the only way it could be done is, as you said, doing it on the pool deck. Regent has special themed buffets on the pool deck on every sea day. When they built the Explorer, the space typically utilized for these buffets was gone (more covered seating). So, the themed buffets had to be scaled back. By the same token, Regent could do the buffet on other ships - just a much smaller version (the space utilized by for the Explorer Sunday brunch is huge).

In terms of Regent seeming like another line once they make the Explorer special, I see this differently. When Seabourn had the older ships and newer ships, the newer ships were like a different cruise line but the service and limited restaurants were the same quality (have not sailed on Seabourn but the older ships held around 208 passengers while the new ships are over double that). The same could be said about Silversea's three styles of ships and also Oceania. If Regent continues their current success, in another 10 years there may have only "Explorer-class" ships. The way I see it now, the Navigator is one style, the Mariner and Voyager another style and the Explorer the newest style and one that will be taken forward. Again, just the way I see it.