Cruise Travel Insurance

mrubinstein54

I am thinking of booking our first Regent cruise for Oct. 2018. Our usual insurance carrier allows a 75% cancel for any reason benefit and $500,000 in medical expenses. However they only will offer coverage starting at 15 months before the cruise. I do have significant pre-existing conditions so arranging insurance within 10 days of booking the cruise is very important. The medical benefit amount is important as well for I know that $50,000-$100,000 may not be sufficient in a serious situation. I have seen Med-Assist discussed. Does anyone have any experience with them or could suggest an insurance carrier that offers good medical coverage(around $500,000) as well as a cancel for any reason option and extend coverage this far in advance.

Why would you have to buy insurance more than 18 months out?

Final cruise payments are not usually due until 90-150 days before sailing. Regent early cancellation is only a $100 pp fee. Travel Insurance needs to be purchased at the time of final payment or within 24 hours after final payment.

j

CSA Travel Protection has a policy that covers pre existing medical condition @ final payment. This is rare. Their medical coverages are strong but I am not sure about the amount you want. Maybe you should call CSA because their website is not great.

If you are not concerned about potential trip cancellation or the cruise refund/credit is guaranteed, then buy @ final payment for the medical.

The other aspect of http://www.csatravelprotection.com that we like is that trip cancellation/interruption includes family members that are not just the 2 travelers. This helped us when my Grandmother passed away, she was covered in the plan.

Thanks for all the replies. All travel insurance that I am familiar with requires you to purchase the plan within 10-14 days of booking if you want to include the pre-existing condition waiver and the cancel for any reason rider. I checked the CSA website and both those provisions are available at extra cost. The website gives no other information and directs you to call. If you can purchase at the time of final payment (90 days before sailing) that would be ideal. Their maximum medical benefit is $250,000 which is less than ideal but may be acceptable. I am being so careful for I had a hospitalization in the US which occurred 2 days before a Mediterranean cruise where the medical and hospital bills were over one million dollars. I am a physician and believe me I had no warning of what was going to occur. My primary insurance is Medicare which provides no coverage outside the U.S. Hence I am being very careful about this. I also wonder if anyone has any experience with Med-Assist.

Most of the cruise critics that have used med jet assist that I have read over the past decade+ love this plan.

One of most helpful travel insurance sites I have come across and used multiple times is tripinsurancestore.com. Steve the owner is extraordinarily helpful and will answer your? Whether you buy travel insurance from them or not. Good luck and Good Health!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

• 2 weeks later...

I did go to Insure My Trip and they got me a great plan through April Travel Insurance that did offer insurance this far in advance,included the cancel for any reason clause,pre-existing condition waiver, as well as the desired $500,000 in medical insurance. The cost of the insurance was far less than our usual insurer charges. I really wanted that high medical coverage because of a previous medical escapade I had 2 days before a scheduled cruise overseas. The cost of the insurance was far less than our usual insurer charges. Two days after I booked the insurance the plan was pulled from the website and is no longer available. I have booked our cruise on the Regent Explorer October 7-17,2018 in an F2 suite. Long time to wait but I hope it will be worth it. We have cruised many times before, mostly on Princess. It may be tough to return to Princess after this cruise. Thanks for all the input.