"No Pleasure Cruise"

Listening to the radio last week on my way to work, I heard Queen's "We Will Rock You" followed by "We Are The Champions" (which they always play together as Queen did at the end of their concerts).

There was something about the new Royal Caribbean TV commercial with "We Will Rock You" and thinking there was something about the song that made it not a good choice for a cruise line.

Then I realized what it was when I heard the line "...no pleasure cruise..." in "We Are The Champions".

Anyway, Royal announced a few days ago their intent to sign with a new Creative Agency and have been in talks with them (and others) since February. Interesting to see if the outgoing agency deliberately chose the song "We Will Rock You" or if it was an oversight. If it was an oversight, "World In Motion" by New Order would have worked better.

'We will rock you' is the broadway style musical currently showing on Anthem of the Seas

Did not know that as everything "Anthem" related gets moved to the "Countdown to Quantum" folder. Funny, though, Oasis (or Allure) is the ship they have at the end of the commercial.

Did not know that as everything "Anthem" related gets moved to the "Countdown to Quantum" folder. Funny, though, Oasis (or Allure) is the ship they have at the end of the commercial.

There must be more than one version. The commercial I saw with We Will Rock You, was for Anthem.

Both Oasis and Quantum class are featured in the commercial.

Edited by cruisenfever

Listening to the radio last week on my way to work, I heard Queen's "We Will Rock You" followed by "We Are The Champions" (which they always play together as Queen did at the end of their concerts).

There was something about the new Royal Caribbean TV commercial with "We Will Rock You" and thinking there was something about the song that made it not a good choice for a cruise line.

Then I realized what it was when I heard the line "...no pleasure cruise..." in "We Are The Champions".

Anyway, Royal announced a few days ago their intent to sign with a new Creative Agency and have been in talks with them (and others) since February. Interesting to see if the outgoing agency deliberately chose the song "We Will Rock You" or if it was an oversight. If it was an oversight, "World In Motion" by New Order would have worked better.

Why does that line make the show not a good choice for cruises?

It's about the work that it took to become a champion, which is very hard work.

Actually, in context, it's a good line for cruising- which is a break from reality- it IS a pleasure cruise being away from work.

Anyone catch the Freddy almost doppelganger in the ad? Dr. May was spotted on Anthem to see the production when Anthem was stopped in the UK! The production in the UK is very acclaimed and still going well. What an honor for Royal to have a version on their newest ship. Queen is back and very popular right now thanks to the reboot and a very successful world tour with Adam L.

You read/hear to much into this. Lust for life was a horrible choice lyrics wise, but a fabulous campaign several years ago

Edited by John&LaLa

Why does that line make the show not a good choice for cruises?

It's about the work that it took to become a champion, which is very hard work.

Actually, in context, it's a good line for cruising- which is a break from reality- it IS a pleasure cruise being away from work.

Put the chorus and "We Are The Champions" title aside.

First verse:

"I've paid my dues

Time after time.

I've done my sentence

But committed no crime.

And bad mistakes ‒

I've made a few.

I've had my share of sand kicked in my face

But I've come through."

Second verse:

"I've taken my bows

And my curtain calls

You brought me fame and fortune and everything that goes with it

I thank you all

But it's been no bed of roses,

No pleasure cruise.

I consider it a challenge before the whole human race

And I ain't gonna lose."

While this song was not used in the commercial, it's about overcoming something. People go on a cruise vacation for pleasure, yet the focus on these boards from the cheerleaders lately is the Royal Caribbean is a business. And the message is that it is "No pleasure cruise", as in, needing to overcome a bad cruise (high winds, high tide, storms, missed calls to CocoCay, etc.)

That aside, I'm not really a fan of the "We Will Rock You" stomp, stomp, clap; stomp, stomp, clap rhythm. It screams Pep Rally, not a pleasure cruise.

With the video of the mountain coasters, water slide, and zip line; it would be like playing the song "Sailing" instead of the more appropriate "Rind Like The Wind". Both songs by Christopher Cross are great, but it's the context and pace of the song that matters. Take another great artist, Eddie Money. "Two Tickets To Paradise" and "I Wanna Go Back" would work better than "Walk On Water".

Edited by TM38Rob

You read/hear to much into this. Lust for life was a horrible choice lyrics wise, but a fabulous campaign several years ago

I enjoyed the Get Out There commercials featuring Lust For Life. Lyrics aside, there's a reason those commercials were much better than the current ones. The current commercial is force edited to the song "We Will Rock You" with edit, edit, black to the stomp, stomp, clap at the beginning.

The Get Out There commercials featured somebody on a wave runner or rock climbing wall who sneak in a smile (when they probably won't have otherwise) with a short voice over, then a couple of shots of them in other activities with "Lust For Life" music as the tagline.

Montage versus a narrative. That the difference, and why I like the 2008ish commercials better.

Put the chorus and "We Are The Champions" title aside.

First verse:

"I've paid my dues

Time after time.

I've done my sentence

But committed no crime.

And bad mistakes ‒

I've made a few.

I've had my share of sand kicked in my face

But I've come through."

Second verse:

"I've taken my bows

And my curtain calls

You brought me fame and fortune and everything that goes with it

I thank you all

But it's been no bed of roses,

No pleasure cruise.

I consider it a challenge before the whole human race

And I ain't gonna lose."

While this song was not used in the commercial, it's about overcoming something. People go on a cruise vacation for pleasure, yet the focus on these boards from the cheerleaders lately is the Royal Caribbean is a business. And the message is that it is "No pleasure cruise", as in, needing to overcome a bad cruise (high winds, high tide, storms, missed calls to CocoCay, etc.)

That aside, I'm not really a fan of the "We Will Rock You" stomp, stomp, clap; stomp, stomp, clap rhythm. It screams Pep Rally, not a pleasure cruise.

With the video of the mountain coasters, water slide, and zip line; it would be like playing the song "Sailing" instead of the more appropriate "Rind Like The Wind". Both songs by Christopher Cross are great, but it's the context and pace of the song that matters. Take another great artist, Eddie Money. "Two Tickets To Paradise" and "I Wanna Go Back" would work better than "Walk On Water".

I still don't understand what the problem is. It's a song from the Broadway show that's on your ship. So you want to highlight that.

They've used "Sailing" for the opening show on the ship for at least a decade on some of the ships.

But focusing on the one line as being specifically bad? I don't understand what that problem is. Especially as it can be just as easily interpreted as I pointed out- this pleasure cruise is a good break from the hard work needed to be the champion.

glass half full or half empty?

I enjoyed the Get Out There commercials featuring Lust For Life. Lyrics aside, there's a reason those commercials were much better than the current ones. The current commercial is force edited to the song "We Will Rock You" with edit, edit, black to the stomp, stomp, clap at the beginning.

The Get Out There commercials featured somebody on a wave runner or rock climbing wall who sneak in a smile (when they probably won't have otherwise) with a short voice over, then a couple of shots of them in other activities with "Lust For Life" music as the tagline.

Montage versus a narrative. That the difference, and why I like the 2008ish commercials better.

I like the new commercial, specifically the quick editing

I've actaully been terribly disappointed in RCI's marketing the past few years (compared to the good ol' days of Lust for Life :p) and think that the marketing review is warranted. They can do much better.

I've actaully been terribly disappointed in RCI's marketing the past few years (compared to the good ol' days of Lust for Life :p) and think that the marketing review is warranted. They can do much better.

They may not be marketing to you.

Looks like they are after the 25-35 year old.

FWIW, I always stop and pay attention when it comes on

I still don't understand what the problem is. It's a song from the Broadway show that's on your ship. So you want to highlight that.

They've used "Sailing" for the opening show on the ship for at least a decade on some of the ships.

But focusing on the one line as being specifically bad? I don't understand what that problem is. Especially as it can be just as easily interpreted as I pointed out- this pleasure cruise is a good break from the hard work needed to be the champion.

glass half full or half empty?

Let's say I'm a new cruiser (target audience of commercial) and know absolutely nothing about a "We Will Rock You" Broadway play or anything about Anthem or any other cruise ship.

I see the commercial, I don't get it. Visually may look nice, but song just doesn't fit for me (expecting something more uptempo). I then hear the song "We Will Rock You" on the radio, followed by "We Are The Championships" as they are always played back to back. When I hear the line "No Pleasure Cruise", I think it's odd that a company in the business of selling pleasure cruises would use a song that associated with the journey not being a pleasure cruise. When I take a cruise, I go with the expectation that the journey of a cruise will be pleasurable. Why would I want to spend major money on a "no pleasure cruise" and feel the need to overcome something on that ship? So I can say "We Are The Champions" when you make it back to home port alive after getting "Rock"ed in the waves of a bad storm? ("We Will Rock You"). Not really a good selling point.

Edited by TM38Rob

Wow, didn't realize two years makes a big difference.

Would it surprise you to learn that I'm smack dab in the middle of that age range they're looking to market to? ;)