Purchasing wine in port

vadersprincess12

Good Morning ~ I know we can bring one bottle of wine per person aboard the ship when we embark but are we permitted to purchase wine at a port of call and bring it aboard? And, do they hold it until the end of the cruise, or can we take it to our cabin?

Thanks for any input.

Key phrase...if they see it..

You will have to show it walking through the scanners. They will point you to the liquor drop off table. But then they turn back to the next people coming through. If there are a whole bunch of people milling around trying to get tot eh elevator or even standing in line at the table, you might (no guarantee) be able to waltz on by and get to your cabin. But even if they see you, you won't lose the wine and can enjoy it at home.

Adding that , if you buy it at the dufry shop on the pier, they may send it on to the ship in your name. So I fyou wish to try to bring wine back, buy it before returning to port.

Edited by crewsweeper

Good Morning ~ I know we can bring one bottle of wine per person aboard the ship when we embark but are we permitted to purchase wine at a port of call and bring it aboard? And, do they hold it until the end of the cruise, or can we take it to our cabin?

Thanks for any input.

They will hold it until the last night of the cruise.

Edited by easyboy

Key phrase...if they see it..

You will have to show it walking through the scanners. They will point you to the liquor drop off table. But then they turn back to the next people coming through. If there are a whole bunch of people milling around trying to get tot eh elevator or even standing in line at the table, you might (no guarantee) be able to waltz on by and get to your cabin. But even if they see you, you won't lose the wine and can enjoy it at home.

Adding that , if you buy it at the dufry shop on the pier, they may send it on to the ship in your name. So I fyou wish to try to bring wine back, buy it before returning to port.

We do this quite successfully whenever we buy booze in port. After they direct to drop off the wine/booze at the drop off table, they are all too busy to notice if you actually dropped it off. Just turn to the elevators and proceed to your room.

In the past your purchase was delivered the cabin on the last night. Those days are gone; you must now go get your purchase early in the morning before you disembark. We've seen that line a few times and the bargains don't look worth the hassle.

Edited by BallFour4

In the past your purchase was delivered the cabin on the last night. Those days are gone; you must now go get your purchase early in the morning before you disembark. We've seen that line a few times and tthe bargains don't look worth the hassle.

I think they changed it back for 7 day cruises just recently. They will deliver on the last night.

Ports of Call

All alcohol purchased in ports will be stored for safekeeping until the end of the voyage. The retained items will be available for collection in a designated lounge on the morning of debarkation for cruise durations 5 days and less; for cruise durations 6 days and more, alcohol will be delivered to guest staterooms after 7:00pm, the evening prior to debarkation (some exceptions may apply).

I also confirm what others are saying: Your experience will vary. The stated rule is they confiscate it. We have had that happen before and can see how you could be able to bypass the check in table. On another cruise we bought tequila in Cozumel and no one made a peep when it went through the x-ray. Somewhat dumbfounded, my wife and I just headed to the elevators and dropped it off in our cabin.

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk

I think they changed it back for 7 day cruises just recently. They will deliver on the last night.

We haven't cruised since Labor Day so this is news to me. I haven't bought any alcohol on the ship in a while, but I might once again in a couple of weeks. The sales staff in the shops told me they hated the new policy and their daily revenues were down because of it. You were right, I was on the Liberty for a 5 nighter and our friends had to go wait in the line to get their purchases.

I also see you posted the same text; at least we went to the source!

Here's the text from Carnivals website and the link to it:

The Fun Shops (onboard)

All alcohol purchased in The Fun Shops onboard will be stored for safekeeping until the end of the voyage. The retained items will be available for collection in a designated lounge on the morning of debarkation for cruise durations 5 days and less; for cruise durations 6 days and more, alcohol will be delivered to guest staterooms after 7:00pm, the evening prior to debarkation (some exceptions may apply).

https://help.carnival.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/2633/~/liquor-and-beverage-policy

Edited by BallFour4