Encore, pics and observations

Kevnzworld

We are boarding Encore tomorrow. I'll post my opinions of the design and how it differs from the Odyssey class ships.

In the meantime, here is a picture I found of The Restaurant online, posted by the ship's interior designer

I'd hate for that fixture fall in my soup!

My initial impressions are good overall. The ship looks a lot nicer than the Odyssey ships. The addition of TK Grill on deck eight with its lounge is a really nice addition. The Colonnade is now on deck nine, and it's design is a lot more spacious and bright. The outside covered patio is twice as large and is now heated. The patio area is two levels, with a staircase leading down to the additional patio on deck eight.

The design of the ship is more modern and upscale. I like the design elements in Seabourn square, the Observation bar and lounge on deck five.

Seabourn square now features a coffee roaster, and new better coffee beans ( the Barista was proud to point out ).

The rooms are a bit smaller, and narrower though more luxurious. . The credenza across from the bed is about 7" wide, making it almost unusable. The 50" widescreen TV is an improvement.

Some other quick notes.

Ad Hoc in the Colonnade is now history ( yay ).

The sushi restaurant looks really good. They brought in Japanese sushi chefs, I can't wait to try it. I live in LA, which arguably has the best sushi outside of Tokyo so I hope it measures up.

There is a celebratory atmosphere on the ship being the maiden voyage, and there are more than a few Seabourn/ Carnival executives on board.

I'll post pictures and more thoughts as the cruise to Singapore commences.

My initial impressions are good overall. The ship looks a lot nicer than the Odyssey ships. The addition of TK Grill on deck eight with its lounge is a really nice addition. The Colonnade is now on deck nine, and it's design is a lot more spacious and bright. The outside covered patio is twice as large and is now heated. The patio area is two levels, with a staircase leading down to the additional patio on deck eight.

The design of the ship is more modern and upscale. I like the design elements in Seabourn square, the Observation bar and lounge on deck five.

Seabourn square now features a coffee roaster, and new better coffee beans ( the Barista was proud to point out ).

The rooms are a bit smaller, and narrower though more luxurious. . The credenza across from the bed is about 7" wide, making it almost unusable. The 50" widescreen TV is an improvement.

Some other quick notes.

The sushi restaurant looks really good. They brought in Japanese sushi chefs, I can't wait to try it. I live in LA, which arguably has the best sushi outside of Tokyo so I hope it measures up.

There is a celebratory atmosphere on the ship being the maiden voyage, and there are more than a few Seabourn/ Carnival executives on board.

I'll post pictures and more thoughts as the cruise to Singapore commences.

Thank you Kevin for taking the time out from your cruise to post. It is much appreciated.

Bon Voyage.

Julie

Sounds encouraging.

Would like a bit more info about the sushi bar - is it just sushi or other Japanese specialities, is it a bar or a sort of restaurant. We noted that the veranda suites are smaller than those on the Odyssey class. Is this noticeable and are they too small. How are the bathrooms. Finally have they improved the menu in the main restaurant - last time we cruised with Seabourn it was getting a bit tired even boring.

The 50" widescreen TV is an improvement.

Some other quick notes.

Where is the TV? Still in the cabinet to the side, not straight ahead on wall at foot of bed?

Is Ad Hoc completely gone, or has it just not shown up yet? It was only once a week on the Quest last month.

A few more comments and answers to questions.

First, they insist that except for 10 cabins, the suites are actually 2 sq feet bigger . They are longer but there is less width. I don't know, I'm not measuring , I'm just going but what " they " are saying .

The sushi bar menu is just sushi and rolls, miso soup a few salads etc. it's not Japanese fare as in yakitori, tempenyaki or noodles etc.

The sushi bar/ restaurant isn't large, maybe ten tables and a small sushi bar that seats 15.

I don't drink champagne, but I trust that it probably isn't grand cru good stuff. The included wine on Seabourn has declined in quality over the years, and nothing on this ship changes that.

Ad Hoc seems to be gone entirely, at least that's what the concierge says.....TK Grill only.

I'm loving this ship so far. The suite decor is much nicer. The TV is above the cabinet, opposite from the mini bar.

The wider width of the ship is apparent. The Observation bar is more spacious, warmer, more like a living room.

More tomorrow , feel free to ask questions that don't require too much work n my part ! :)

Thanks Kevnzwirld,

When you have a chance let us know the hours TK is open, do you have to book and post the menu if poss. Are they continuing with dinners in the Colonnade and on the patio.Also post the complementary wine list if they let you have one. Wines were again looking up on our last Seabourn cruise, but maybe the cost accountants have got on top again.

Edited by eliana

Thanks Kevnzwirld,

When you have a chance let us know the hours TK is open, do you have to book and post the menu if poss. Are they continuing with dinners in the Colonnade and on the patio.Also post the complementary wine list if they let you have one. Wines were again looking up on our last Seabourn cruise, but maybe the cost accountants have got on top again.

Yes, the Colonade is open for dinner as it always was, and the patio too.

I can't post lists,. The TK grill requires reservations and is open during the normal business hours, roughly 6:30-9:00

The Sushi bar s open for lunch.....supposedly

I was under the impression that the Japanese restaurant would not be all Sushi. Fine with us but others may not like it. Crystal has both a Sushi bar and tables but they also serve other Japanese cooked dishes. It will be interesting to see the menu eventually.

I'm curious as to the $350/day Cabanas as up-charging and exclusive deck areas seem against how Seabourn's on board culture was described to me (a Seabourn newbie).

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

They have the cabana area, ( retreat ) and an area in the spa that they charge for. I have no interest,

The smaller pool area on deck five is deeper now, hopefully allowing for a more wind free experience than on the Odyssey ships.

So I've figured out where the extra feet in the room are. The bathroom is somewhat larger and wider, the sink area.

The cabinets are wider where the TV is , allowing for what looks to be a 50" screen. The sofa is also a little longer.

Ok...

The concierge that told me that Ad Hoc was no longer in the Colonade was misinformed, It's still in existence.

We ate in the sushi restaurant tonight and it was really good, surprisingly good.

Kudo's to Seabourn. A

Loving this ship.

Ad Hoc is Thomas Keller's casual dining restaurant. When SB first introduced TK they turned the Colonnade into TK night once every few days with a no option TK menu of steak, ribs, etc. with lovely lads, great cheeses, nostalgic desserts all served family style per table. As we never have dinner in the Colonnade I was surprised I liked it on our recent June cruise. Some other CC'ers have posted here that did not enjoy it.