Live from the Viking Delling July 2015 Portraits of Southern France

roberts2005

For those of you that followed my time on the Rinda, I am now on the Delling. My wife and I planned our own back to back with two nights in Lyon on our own.

The Rinda provided transportation to the Gare de Lyon and we took a TGV train direct to Lyon. Train ride was outstanding.

Lyon is wonderful, lots of museums and plenty of shopping. Plus a lot of great restaurants. Just too hot, both days in upper 90's

Took a local train from Lyon to Chalon sur Saone. Took an hour and 36 minutes at 17 euros per person. Taxi from train station was 20 euros.

Arrive at the Delling and were warmly welcomed by the CD and Hotel manager

We were invited into lunch. Many of the departing people were still on board.

We had originally booked a French Balcony and have been upgraded to a full balcony. Most everything the same except the interior is wider.

Thank you Viking!

A tour into town at 2:30, but will pass. Just too hot

Thanks for starting your live thread. I'll be cruising on the Rhone from North to South in mid August. I am interested how the water levels effect your cruise.

Keep your posts coming!! Do have a wonderful time.

Thanks again.

Edited by NCCruzQueen

We cruised the Rhone with Uniworld in March - lots of fun! Looking forward to hearing about your stops, and comparing/contrasting them with the ones we visited.

The TGV is a great way to travel! Hopefully you booked a seat on the top level so you could see the countryside whiz by. Though you don't fully realize just how fast you are going until another train passes you in the opposite direction. Wow! That's how we got from Paris to Lyon for our cruise as well.

Slowly cruising down river. Some people left the ship to do the optional tour to Cluny. We will pick them up in Tournus and then proceed to Macon. Will stay in Macon to midnight

River traffic is less than the Seine. Have seen less barges and more pleasure craft.

If anyone is concerned about rafting or docking next to a wall. I think being on the starboard side is better

The TGV is a great way to travel! Hopefully you booked a seat on the top level so you could see the countryside whiz by. Though you don't fully realize just how fast you are going until another train passes you in the opposite direction. Wow!

Thanks for this info. Looking forward to taking the TGV. Since I will be going on Scenic's reservations, I am unsure of where we will sit. From other blogs photos, I think we will be on the top level.

Roberts2005, thanks for your posts. Woo-Hoo, flying out in 3 weeks!!!!!

Thanks for this info. Looking forward to taking the TGV. Since I will be going on Scenic's reservations, I am unsure of where we will sit. From other blogs photos, I think we will be on the top level.

Roberts2005, thanks for your posts. Woo-Hoo, flying out in 3 weeks!!!!!

Booked our seats on lower level because I did not want to bring luggage up

portside may get a wall. starboard gets the parallel parking of another ship/s. rafting.

glad you are enjoying your cruise. we like ours Monaco to Paris, albeit only got to Lyon bussed to Paris. would be open to doing it again, spring/autumn.

We arrived in Lyon this morning. Rated on the Hernod. Starboard side attached.

Included tour leaves at 8:45. Temperature has dropped a bit but is still warm

On the way in, the upper deck was closed. We cleared one bridge by inches

image.jpg.d495057bc02fbb7893a0b8ffe224a747.jpg

Thank you so much for these updates. my wife and I are leaving on this cruise in one week, and she is freaked our about the weather being too hot. Hopefully it will cool down.

Next week is suppose to be cooler. Today was 97. Just had a thunderstorm with hail, so it should cool down. AC on ship is great

Thanks for the posts from your Portraits of S France cruise; very interesting. We are taking the same cruise on the Heimdal in October. Looking forward to it as we leave for the Paris pre-trip in less than 3 months.

Thank you for your posts. We embark Viking Delling 4th Aug. One of our worries is that we will have at least 6 hours from leaving our cabin in Avignon until we go to the airport at Marseille (we are going your route in reverse) our flight doesn't leave until 1800hr. By the last day we are not feeling so adventurous but don't fancy sitting in the lounge for all that time. We hope for gently warm weather since we are certainly not getting it here in Scotland. We were in Northern Italy early July but it was too hot there until the thunderstorms arrived.

Safe home to you.

We are on same trip.

Winery visit was very good. Small 7th generation owner, who was there but left commentary to guide who didn't always understand peoples questions.

Chocolate visit was to the shop - no talk or demonstration - but unlimited free chocolate samples to gorge on. Too long there IMO, leaving time only for a cursory walk thru town before lunch & ship departure.

Thank you for your posts. We embark Viking Delling 4th Aug. One of our worries is that we will have at least 6 hours from leaving our cabin in Avignon until we go to the airport at Marseille (we are going your route in reverse) our flight doesn't leave until 1800hr. By the last day we are not feeling so adventurous but don't fancy sitting in the lounge for all that time. We hope for gently warm weather since we are certainly not getting it here in Scotland. We were in Northern Italy early July but it was too hot there until the thunderstorms arrived.

Safe home to you.

Thank you

You should not have a problem in Avignon

We are taking the TGV to Paris. We will stay on ship till 1:00. Just have to be out of cabin by 9:00

We are on same trip.

Winery visit was very good. Small 7th generation owner, who was there but left commentary to guide who didn't always understand peoples questions.

Chocolate visit was to the shop - no talk or demonstration - but unlimited free chocolate samples to gorge on. Too long there IMO, leaving time only for a cursory walk thru town before lunch & ship departure.

Thanks, pontac. Nothing wrong with unlimited free chocolate samples as long as it is good chocolate!!!

So glad to hear that this is becoming a popular cruise and everyone is sharing their experiences. Thanks so much.

I'll be on the Scenic Emerald in 3 weeks!!!!!!!!

Slowly cruising down river. Some people left the ship to do the optional tour to Cluny. We will pick them up in Tournus and then proceed to Macon. Will stay in Macon to midnight

if you stayed onboard instead of visiting Cluny, did you get to see any of Tournus or is it just a pick up stop?

thank you